Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One to one tuition

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: One to one tuition

Quote Originally Posted by Geordieed View Post
    Has anyone ever had an experience where they did not have a good experience in a 121 but paid anyway because they felt uncomfortable speaking out...
    Good question!

For me, I take the responsibility of making sure I choose someone I either already know and respect or that I'd had a personal recommendation of.

And as I said before, I try to make sure at the outset, what I want to get out of the lesson... you can't expect someone to be psychic

If they then decided to ignore me and concentrate on something else, I'll either go with the flow, if I'm interested in what they have to say (which would still be worth it) OR I'll remind them, what I'd asked for..

I'm not sure how I'd react if I wasn't at all happy?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

I have neither charger or paid anythign remotely close to £80 (per hour) for a private.

That said, I've had one or two privates~ sculpted in format, very specific to me, goal orientated, homework and invitation to go back with Q's, etc~ that I would have paid £80 and felt like I got a good deal. I can't afford that kind of charge and if lessons were that much, I'd have very much fewer of them.

But yes... if I'm charging £75 for a private... I would bring the suit.

Recommendation works well for most types of businesses. How do people feel about shared tuition to cut down the cost. It would also be interesting to hear what content people generally look for when they take tuition...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    On a very basic level, perhaps. For people who are keen to really get the most out of their dancing, in just about any area (be it style, performance, lead&follow...) it's a never-ending journey.
    In my experience people do not ask for a private lesson to work on one particular thing, they ask me to help them to improve. And a lot of private lessons are people who want to learn MJ from scratch. And, even when they do ask for something specific, it's normally something they've been trying to get on their own and are struggling with. In MJ it's usually a bad habit that's holding them back. At my own classes I watch for individuals developing bad habits and nip them in the bud by having a short coaching session on the night. That usually fixes things*

I find that most people who ask for private lessons are not my own regulars. They are people who come to me due to recommendation. That means they've been "taught elsewhere". In the private lesson it's very difficult to criticise someone's regular teacher - although it is an indication of something that they've gone to a different teacher for a private lesson.

*That doesn't mean all my students are fabulous. For the majority of them I have to accept that their main motivation is social. To go on, and on, and on, about something like frame isn't going to improve their dancing pleasure, it's going to make them feel like failures. I have to use my judgement and decide that they seem to be enjoying themselves, nobody is getting hurt or touched anywhere dodgy therefore nothing needs to change - oh, and I try to avert my gaze

Strongly disagree. In most lessons, no matter how basic, there's an enormous amount of information to take in, on the visual, auditory, and 'feeling' levels, and everyone processes it differently. Some people find it hard to link vocal instruction into their own movements, and work better by imitation. Many people don't have enough physical self-awareness to know how well they're applying instructions (I remember one bal lesson where I was convinced I was taking tiny steps as instructed... only to see myself later on video and realise I was taking huge steps throughout... ) Even paying attention is not a guarantee of getting it 'right'. Not even close.
    I'm not quite sure why stray is disagreeing with me as I agree with everything he's written

We agree that, even when paying attention it is difficult to learn. Why can't we agree that not paying attention makes it even more difficult?

There are so many 'bad habits' people can develop in dance that trying to address them all in a group lesson is a bit like playing whack-a-mole. You tackle one, and a dozen more pop up - a teacher could go insane that way.
    Yes, most of us are mad, some more than others.

In my group lessons I regularly bring up the Zen aspects of the dance as a way of addressing bad habits. That is the importance of not doing things. Mostly of not doing anything except what I've said. Consider the manspin. The preparation is to raise the right hand with the forearm level(ish) and sufficiently high to clear the lady's right forearm. All the guy needs to do to collect their partners right hand with their right hand is to move their feet changing places with their parther and turning to the left. They need to do nothing much with their right hand/arm as their right hand falls into the lady's as she comes around from her travelling spin. Men doing something else with their right hand means that it is not there to collect the lady's hand. Therefore, more is less as doing more sometimes means the move does not work - however a large minority of guys will collect with the wrong hand, possibly because the move started LR.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I'm not quite sure why stray is disagreeing with me as I agree with everything he's written
    A few possibilities:
    1) He secretly craves your attention (ref: your theories about Caro)
    2) His strong powers of typographical hypnotic suggestion are warping your mind and changing your views even as you read this.
    3) He's a borderline schizophrenic
    4) He disagrees with you.

We agree that, even when paying attention it is difficult to learn. Why can't we agree that not paying attention makes it even more difficult?
    Perhaps we can

I just disagree with this statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy M
    If they'd paid attention in the lesson they would not have a bad habit at all.
    If nothing else, because I've picked up plenty of bad habits from great lessons with awesome teachers when I was paying attention. Maybe I'm special.

Would you want tuition from someone of the same role as yourself, or the opposite role? Does it matter? Would they approach the same thing from a different angle?

(is there a bias towards When leading, you want to feel the follower... or when leading the follower wants to feel... or does it depend on the pupil?)

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Would you want tuition from someone of the same role as yourself, or the opposite role? Does it matter? Would they approach the same thing from a different angle?

(is there a bias towards When leading, you want to feel the follower... or when leading the follower wants to feel... or does it depend on the pupil?)
    I've tried getting private lessons from leaders and from followers - couldn't say which I preferred - I got a lot out of each, and it was definitely worth getting each different perspective.

Of course - the best teachers can lead and follow superbly , so with them it matters very little.

Commercial Operator

1) He secretly craves your attention (ref: your theories about Caro)
    I'm starting to think Caro has got over her crush on me as we seem to agree more.

Then again, there is a possibility that she has succeeded in getting my attention and has moved on the the next phase of her evil plan to steal my seed and breed a master race of short, stroppy dance teachers*

*with the short coming from my strand of DNA and the other bit coming from Caro

*with the short coming from my strand of DNA and the other bit coming from Caro
    That would be the master race gene then?

Or perhaps now *I* secretly crave Caro's attention? Life is full of mysteries.
    Last edited by NZ Monkey; 1st-August-2008 at 01:57 AM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    That would be the master race gene then?

Or perhaps now *I* secretly crave Caro's attention? Life is full of mysteries.
    Don't we ALL secretly crave Caro's attention ? (Every kiss is French, donchaknow )

Thread Information