Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mamma Mia

Re: Mamma Mia

Went to see this film today.
    Absolutely loved it. One of the most uplifting, feel good films I have ever seen - just at a time when I needed it!!

Fabulous scenery, beautiful costume design and of course brilliant music.
    Hilariously funny although some of the people around me just didn't seem to get it. I think the bad reviews must come from these people.

Came out feeling I could sit through it all again. Until next time.......

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    Went to see this film today.
    Absolutely loved it. One of the most uplifting, feel good films I have ever seen - just at a time when I needed it!!

Fabulous scenery, beautiful costume design and of course brilliant music.
    Hilariously funny although some of the people around me just didn't seem to get it. I think the bad reviews must come from these people.

Came out feeling I could sit through it all again. Until next time.......
    Ok went and saw it

I don’t know if seeing a number of stage shows of Abba had clouded by judgement but

Meryl streep by far the best singer of the ‘celebrities’ but 15yrs too old. At 59 its hard to picture her as a care free 39 year old ( one of the points was she had her kid when she was young not at 39) and I’m sorry she needs make up

The rest of the stars, poor singers and average performance and totally miss placed characters. I didn’t ‘believe’ in their back grounds.

Why couldn’t they get some good male singers?

I was disappointed by the dancing expected much more given the back drops etc

It’s was a nice easy film to watch 3 out 5 but hasn’t transferred well from the stage

Could it have done, probably?

Review: Mamma Mia! (2008) : Dear Showbiz…

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Ok went and saw it

I don’t know if seeing a number of stage shows of Abba had clouded by judgement but

Meryl streep by far the best singer of the ‘celebrities’ but 15yrs too old. At 59 its hard to picture her as a care free 39 year old ( one of the points was she had her kid when she was young not at 39) and I’m sorry she needs make up

The rest of the stars, poor singers and average performance and totally miss placed characters. I didn’t ‘believe’ in their back grounds.

Why couldn’t they get some good male singers?

I was disappointed by the dancing expected much more given the back drops etc

It’s was a nice easy film to watch 3 out 5 but hasn’t transferred well from the stage

Could it have done, probably?

Review: Mamma Mia! (2008) : Dear Showbiz…

I repeat, this is a chick flick hunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I repeat, this is a chick flick hunny.
    Have you seen the stage show ?

Its a fun film to watch but didnt come across well from the stage ,could it have done ? maybe ?

Registered User Katie Kicks Ass's Avatar

I've seen it and loved it! Was singing along all the way through.

Is it just me that 'Tanya' reminds me of Fletch in some of the dancing in does your mother know?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Kicks Ass View Post
    Is it just me that 'Tanya' reminds me of Fletch in some of the dancing in does your mother know?
    OMG, I've just got back and that's EXACTLY what I was about to write.. you beat me to it! She's so like her in that scene, isn't she!

And just to echo what most of you have said on here, I loved it!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    OMG, I've just got back and that's EXACTLY what I was about to write.. you beat me to it! She's so like her in that scene, isn't she!

And just to echo what most of you have said on here, I loved it!
    Rep for anyone who can post the cartoon in the free london metro today

re two blokes at a bar discussing Mamma Mia

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Loved it! LOVED IT!!

had to go with my husband... who didn't get it at all - he said there was no plot! - numpty!!!

hummed my way through it 'cos he wouldn'tlet me sing along...

I know all the words and I'm not ashamed!!

Definately a chick flick though....

ps Pierce Brosnan - cute butt but he can't sing at all!!

Went to see this with Twirly last night.. Hate to admit this and it's probably not going to do my guy-cred any good.. .. BUT I LOVED IT !!

Funniest moment? Pierce Singing SOS !! Meryl.. Still a hottie and actually surprisingly a great singer.

Mezzo.. you're not the only one who knew all the words

One to add to my DVD collection.. even if I have to hide it in another more manly DVD case

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Went to see this with Twirly last night.. Hate to admit this and it's probably not going to do my guy-cred any good.. .. BUT I LOVED IT !!

Funniest moment? Pierce Singing SOS !! Meryl.. Still a hottie and actually surprisingly a great singer.

Mezzo.. you're not the only one who knew all the words

One to add to my DVD collection.. even if I have to hide it in another more manly DVD case

You Are mot alone it was amazing, my mate and I were probably the only single guys there but Brilliant. I loved if from beginning to end a must for the DVD collection for sure!

Loved it too... want to watch it again, soon! And sing along next time, as I was under strict instructions not to embarrass a certain someone this time

I think it'll be a perfect film to take away for my hen weekend - dinner, drink, women dancing round the living room, hairbrushes in hand

I loved it when they started singing with hairdryers, etc. as mircrophones - took me back to being 12 and using my hairbrush to sing into in front of my bedroom mirror!

Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    It was filmed in the Greek Islands of "Skiathos and Skopelos"
    That's why the scenery looked familiar... I've been to Skyros a couple of times, which is one of the sister islands in the Sporades. Made me long to go back there too!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Whaddaya mean, YOUR DVD collection? And there was me hoping that Santa might slip a copy under the Christmas tree for me

I saw this last night and I absolutely LOVED IT!!!! Brilliant feel-good movie!

I came out of the cinema with a huge smile on my face, singing!

I thought the mother/daughter actresses were chosen so well, and I can't believe how nimble and light on her feet Meryl Streep is! She is in fantastic shape for a 59 year old!!!! As is that other American actress (I can't remember her name) - she is soo toned and flexible! Amazing!

Loved it, loved it, loved it!

Also, wow, ABBA had soooo many great songs!!!

I am feeling all Abba'd out at the moment after going to a Tatton Park Picnic concert yesterday. Bjorn Again were appearing and the atmosphere was electric with everyone singing, clapping and dancing their hearts out. We had a ball, and the blokes let themselves go and joined in with full gusto. Abba's music just made us want to have fun and a good old sing along.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    I am feeling all Abba'd out at the moment after going to a Tatton Park Picnic concert yesterday. Bjorn Again were appearing and the atmosphere was electric with everyone singing, clapping and dancing their hearts out. We had a ball, and the blokes let themselves go and joined in with full gusto. Abba's music just made us want to have fun and a good old sing along.
    I think Bjorn is the only one making a mint out of all this ??

The girls dont want to know and the other guy drop back a bit ?

I think im right

Bjorn appeared in the film briefly

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Benny and Bjorn featured in the extra bit with the credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Benny and Bjorn featured in the extra bit with the credits.
    Bjorn was also at the pier when the 3 lads first arrived on the Island in the background

I waited and waited and saw all the extra bits with the rest of the audience, i dont know if they showed the bits you referred to ??

I had to see it in sub titles as the main show was sold out

Bjorn was also at the pier when the 3 lads first arrived on the Island in the background

I waited and waited and saw all the extra bits with the rest of the audience, i dont know if they showed the bits you referred to ??

I had to see it in sub titles as the main show was sold out
    You wouldn't have missed it, it was all the main characters singing along to Dancing Queen (I think it was that song) dressed in Abba-esque lycra catsuits!
    Bjorn was also on the pier playing the piano during either the boys or girls group singing bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    You wouldn't have missed it, it was all the main characters singing along to Dancing Queen (I think it was that song) dressed in Abba-esque lycra catsuits!
    Bjorn was also on the pier playing the piano during either the boys or girls group singing bit.
    Confused as you said people walked out where you were and missed it, it came straight after film end ? yes saw piano playing etc cant see how anyone would not have seen it

I sat with gf for 7 hours after everyone left , saying wait their is some more

re where does borg appears in the film im confused now ,he is def in it was it in the voulez vous bit ??

Confused as you said people walked out where you were and missed it, it came straight after film end ? yes saw piano playing etc cant see how anyone would not have seen it

I sat with gf for 7 hours after everyone left , saying wait their is some more

re where does borg appears in the film im confused now ,he is def in it was it in the voulez vous bit ??
    There was a few minutes between the film and the extra bit, enough time for people to leave (it wasn't that busy) but I guess as you were there with the girlfriend, you might been too distracted to notice the short break
    I can't remember which songs were in which bit! He was playing the piano in amongst all the singers and dancers on the pier, either when it was all the women from the village or the boys in their flippers.

This film must be pretty popular - I went to see it last night and couldn't get tickets because it was sold out - on a weekday evening, in a decent sized screen, three weeks after it was released!

So I still don't know what all the fuss is about

Thread Information