Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Why don't men bring a towel/change of shirt?

Re: Why don't men bring a towel/change of shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Yes, sure - I don't think it's useless, I just think it's overrated.

Most people will probably not look at dancing as an exercise - they'll dance a bit, they'll chat to friends, they'll drink lots of unhealthy drinks, they'll stop if they feel tired, they won't be jumping around like a maniac all the time, and so on. Using dance as an exercise can also be inconsiderate towards your partner, who wants to dance with a sweaty banshee?

And someone who stops to look at their watch and count their heartbeat every song will be seen as a little odd

So I don't think we're in disagreement about the potential benefits of dancing. I'm just saying that almost no-one, in practice, realises these benefits. At most, a few people will lose some weight - but that's mostly the "easy weight loss" bit I think, they'd probably have lost just as much from going for a walk every day or whatever.

So it's not nothing, but dancing is not a fitness regime, and we fool ourselves (I know, because I did) if we think it is.

Oh, and:

I can vouch for Chef's comment.
    Yes, they would look pretty odd, but then (perhaps Andy aside! ) they would look pretty stupid dancing in spandex too! I'm not suggesting that people treat dancing as a fitness class, but with the right effort, it can be considered good exercise and, in some cases, a longer term fitness regieme. It is a thoroughly enjoyable pass time with the added benefit that it is good exercise.

I don't check my pulse ever five minutes and I don't measure the speed of the songs, but I do know when I am working hard. I also clean up after myself as much as I can so that people don't have to put up with a sweaty dance, so I'm not being inconsiderate. Like most 'experienced' dancers, In the venues where I'm known I don't get a whole lot of chance to sit out, so I have little choice, but to dance. I try to avoid saying no to people without good reason, so when I can dance, I do.

I dance more often than most people, so I know I'm not the best person to compare to the average punter, but it is the only cardio exercise that I get and it has obviously done me a lot of good. I can't face the mindless boredom of a treadmill or an exercise bike. I'd much rather be doing something I enjoy and getting benefit from it.

I agree that most people will not get the same benefits, but then many of these people won't be doing any other form of exercise, so it's good that they are doing something...

Most people will probably not look at dancing as an exercise - they'll dance a bit, they'll chat to friends, they'll drink lots of unhealthy drinks, they'll stop if they feel tired, they won't be jumping around like a maniac all the time, and so on.
    When you are talking about someone who has a substantial amount of weight to lose, they are not going to be able to throw themselves in to excessive work out regimes, as was proven a few years ago when people were suffering heart attacks after taking up jogging.

The aim is for people to 'move more' whatever their more is. For instance when I was at my biggest my exercise was a 10 minute walk with my dog, so I just started by taking the dog twice a day rather than once. Then to build on it by slowly doing more, and most importantly have a variety of activities, all using different muscles.

Hence, there are only so many times you can go to the gym, pool and aerobic classes before you lose the motivation from the monotony of it all...dancing is a brilliant way to get out build up a little sweat, get the heart pumping and have a good social life to boot...oh and by the way if you only drink water there is nothing better for your health than a night of jigging and a swaying!

Most definitely more people should be looking to dance as a form of exercise, I advocate it persistently. Not as a form of an intense work out just as an excuse to get off your backside and move more!

Of course it's good exercise.

True, if all you do is wobble around the Blues room at a walking pace, then I guess it's 'light exercise' not much more useful than a light walk. Even that is good exercise for some people I guess.

But those of us who haven't yet totally succumbed to the lure of the Blues room can have a very aerobic and healthy, yet considerate to our partners Mr. James, workout in the main room

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I don't dance as much as I normally do at the moment and I have found I have put on nearly a stone.

Also at one weekender I lost a stone over the weekened.

Thinking about it further, exercise is not just about sweat and cardio stuff, it is also about toning too...and even with some of the moves in the blues room, some of the squats, dips and drops do wonders for your biceps, triceps and leg muscles too

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jay View Post
    When you are talking about someone who has a substantial amount of weight to lose, they are not going to be able to throw themselves in to excessive work out regimes, as was proven a few years ago when people were suffering heart attacks after taking up jogging.

The aim is for people to 'move more' whatever their more is. For instance when I was at my biggest my exercise was a 10 minute walk with my dog, so I just started by taking the dog twice a day rather than once. Then to build on it by slowly doing more, and most importantly have a variety of activities, all using different muscles.

Most definitely more people should be looking to dance as a form of exercise, I advocate it persistently. Not as a form of an intense work out just as an excuse to get off your backside and move more!

I try and get people to do 15 mins walk 3 times a week, its a start.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    Lory looks very much like that - just a bit more sweaty and a bit more dirty.
    the thong doesn't half chaff though!

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    I know of a woman who dances regularly as her only form of exercise and has shed almost 6 stone in the last year
    Wow that's quite some achievement but I think some of its probably attributed to the fact she's not sitting at home in the evening nibbling either!

It is a thoroughly enjoyable pass time with the added benefit that it is good exercise.

I can't face the mindless boredom of a treadmill or an exercise bike.
    Me neither, that's why I mainly stick to classes or a one to one training session

The aim is for people to 'move more' whatever their more is.
    Yes, to get fittER, you have to take yourself 'out of your comfort zone'

they'll stop if they feel tired,
    Yeah, you can't do that in a training session, as the instructor will SHOUT VERY rude comments at you.. especially if they know you well!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    :Yeah, you can't do that in a training session, as the instructor will SHOUT VERY rude comments at you.. especially if they know you well!
    Ooooh, what sort of rude comments! (Maybe I will join the gym again after all.)

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

I try and get people to do 15 mins walk 3 times a week, its a start.
    My doctor told me to walk 3 miles a day, every day.....I gave up on day 3, after ending up 9 miles from home!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    True, if all you do is wobble around the Blues room at a walking pace
    It takes years of practice to wobble around, I'll have you know

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    But those of us who haven't yet totally succumbed to the lure of the Blues room can have a very aerobic and healthy, yet considerate to our partners Mr. James, workout in the main room
    Hey, I went into the main room, and danced, twice on Sunday

Thinking about it further, exercise is not just about sweat and cardio stuff, it is also about toning too...and even with some of the moves in the blues room, some of the squats, dips and drops do wonders for your biceps, triceps and leg muscles too
    Puddytat introduced me to a very good one for this, I'll henceforth call it the "Puttytat Planeo Squat" move - I'm not sure if Lory's leg will thank me for it though

Blog Entries

Puddytat introduced me to a very good one for this, I'll henceforth call it the "Puttytat Planeo Squat" move - I'm not sure if Lory's leg will thank me for it though
    my left leg is still hurting after doing about ten of them on Sunday... Can you do the other leg next week?
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

my left leg is still hurting after doing about ten of them on Sunday... Can you do the other leg next week?
    I only turn one way

The Forum Legend

I agree that not everyone realises the full health/fitness potential they could gain from dancing I do not believe that it is overated.

I am going to have to agree with FM on this subject there is absolutely no doubt that dancing is good exercise!

Yes professional dancers do training that is not dance itself and spend a lot of time working on their posture which often helps them appear lighter than people think they are but most of what they actually do is dance related! As for the comment about diet, dancers have the worst diet out of all professional sports people!

Oops! Just realised that I took so long to post I have logged back in as Trampy, when infact it is me, Georgious dancer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    dancers have the worst diet out of all professional sports people!
    I bet Flavia doesn't

I suppose its as simple as this... It doesn't matter how many nights a week you dance or how much energy you use... if you eat more calories than you burn, then your going to stay fat!

I wonder who's healthier. A slim inactive person or fat active one

I wonder who's healthier. A slim inactive person or fat active one
    I'd go with a fat active one, unless you mean REALLY fat!!

Blog Entries

I'd go with a fat active one, unless you mean REALLY fat!!
    I think i'd probably agree with you but I bet the statistics wouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive View Post
    My doctor told me to walk 3 miles a day, every day.....I gave up on day 3, after ending up 9 miles from home!

Joking aside, it is exactly my point, if you set yourself unrealistic targets it doesn't take too long before you give up completely. By setting yourself smaller steps you feel good that you are achieving them and then you push the goalposts further each time, that in itself keeps you more motivated.

When I first started the gym and the instructor gave me a rigorous 45 min work out, it was so hard and didn't motivate me to go back. So I changed it myself and upgraded it as and when. If you enjoy something you'll continue with it.

I usually get through about three shirt changes plus t shrts, it means carrying a bag full of gear, but its worth it for a full night of delightfull dancing

Sure, MJ dancing gets your heart rate up, it's better than sitting on your backside for an evening, but I reckon the exercise benefits are vastly overrated.
    So, assume I dance 2-3 times a week. What benefits would I get by also doing "proper exercise", whatever that is?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    So, assume I dance 2-3 times a week. What benefits would I get by also doing "proper exercise", whatever that is?
    Focus, basically. Like any activity, an effective exercise programme requires planning, measurements and objectives. Boring stuff, yes, but that's the only way to get things done.

In addition, there are some things you're unlikely ever to be able to do during dancing - resistance work is the obvious example - which you can achieve with a proper exercise routine.

It's the difference between planning, and wishing-and-hoping.

Personally, dancing has not made much difference to me in terms of fitness and health, neither now, or when I started - typically because the calories I sweated off, I usually put back on with unhealthy eating / drinking habits, with the "Ah, but I've earned it" justification.

So at best, it's a supplementary activity, at least for me.

Thread Information