Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why don't men bring a towel/change of shirt?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Why don't men bring a towel/change of shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Some dancers work harder too. Though not me.

Handheld fans should be mentioned on this thread too.
    i can do without sycophantic "land of the giants" cast members - they'd cramp my style

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    The sports analogy is fairly silly. Professional sports people sweat because they work harder as they get better, obviously. A large part of their profession is aimed at producing as much focussed energy as possible. Duh.
    That really depends on the sport. A sprinter has to push themselves very hard physically to be competitive, but a golfer relies much more heavily on technique than athletisism in comparison.

I use far less energy (and sweat less because of it) grappling in Jujutsu now than I did 10 years ago and I'm using it to much better effect. Dancing is similar in that you don't need an enormous amount of effort to acheive most effects if your technique is solid.

Quote Originally Posted by DS
    Nonsense, i think you'll find that an amateur boxer against a pro would sweat much more due to the wasted effort.
    If I were stepping into the ring with a pro boxer, I'd be sweating too.....

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    ...Dancing is similar in that you don't need an enormous amount of effort to achieve most effects if your technique is solid...
    True, but one result you cannot achieve with minimal effort is a decent level of exercise.

One the benefits (of doing a weekly class night freestyle) can be well over a hour of quite sustained aerobic exercise.

While it might not be in the same league as going running/to a gym/cycling up hills/other athletic pursuits, lots of people don't do these sorts of things.

For my point of view dancing meant some exercise, instead of zero exercise.

Yes you can learn to use little effort, which is good for some, depending on your motivation.

For others it could make it not worth going.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    For others it could make it not worth going.
    So would the prospect of a succession of men in sweat soaked shirts

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    So would the prospect of a succession of men in sweat soaked shirts
    Maybe but you do see ladies queuing up to dance with star dancers/instructors, sweat notwithstanding, so I'm not sure the evidence bears this out.

The ladies don't have to know a shirt is sweat soaked.

Instructors could set an example by wearing dark colours - doesn't seem to happen much though.

Quote Originally Posted by Refreshingly laid out MJ operator's web site
    Welcome to ...

Learn to dance with a partner
    Get Fit - lose weight
    Meet new people
    Have a great night out
    Exactly what I look for.

One of these isn't going to happen at a gentle walking pace.

Sweat! What a delightfully evocative sensory and olifactory subject to discuss.

Right off, I admit to being a man who does not change his shirt during the course of an evening even though, like everyone else, I have been known to break out into a bit of a lather. But I do precede an evening of dance with a 30 min soak in a bubble-bath (don't like showering - probably a generational thing), use a roll-on and a spray and wear a loose cotton or cotton-rich collared shirt, more often than not seersucker, which is textured/patterned not to stick to the body (I do not like T-shirts - which is probably another generational thing).

Besides that I do, from necessity, sit out more than the average male dancer and choose to dance mainly to the slower tracks. However, I carry towels and mop up exposed areas as the need arises.

I enjoy a pint but seek to counter any breath problems with mint imperials.

As for ladies, I was assured that they 'glow' - but experience soon established that they are as earthy as any man and can sweat with the best. But as has been mentioned, although I am aware of some going off to change tops, rarely are they to be seen towelling down. I assume this has much to do with facial make up.

Which brings me to the key differentiator in my attitude to lady's sweating - warm sweat and cold sweat.

Most ladies, on class night at least, dress quite modestly and even though their apparel may get rather moist towards the end of the night they attain a dampilly warmness which I have to say I find ever so slightly erotic.

Conversely, others go down the glamour road, especially on freestyle nights, with off-the-shoulder and backless dresses/tops enlivening the early part of the evening. But later on all that exposed flesh can exude copious amounts of perspiration which may be exposed by heated dancers to the night air of opened emergency doors or other means and rapidly cool.

Dancing with a lady with a cold wet sweaty back can only detract from the enjoyment of the dance; no matter how much flesh is on show.

Commercial Operator

Exactly what I look for.

One of these isn't going to happen at a gentle walking pace.
    You are right. It is a refreshing website

As I said, improving technique and fitness will result in less sweat. I didn't say "no sweat".

Blog Entries

If there's anyone that doesn't carry a towel because they're too bulky or struggles with them, you can get micro-fibre sports towels from eBay really cheap.

They're thin, soft material that's incredibly efficient for soaking up moisture and take up virtually no room at all. They come in a string bag that's about the size of a tin of beans and it's easy to get them back in too.
    I have lots of them for dancing, the gym, travelling etc.

and no, I don't sell them or get a commission, I just think they're good.

Picture is an ebay link so it might not be there forever.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As I said, improving technique and fitness will result in less sweat. I didn't say "no sweat".
    Very unfortunately this isn't actually true

The fitter you are, the more efficient your body becomes at cooling itself down and therefore, very very fit people can sweat a lot

But I agree that 'technique' goes a long way to reducing the amount of effort you need to dance well and therefore, you'll definitely sweat less.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Really ? Wow, its almost as if some people read what they want to read and ignore what you actually said

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

True, but one result you cannot achieve with minimal effort is a decent level of exercise.
    To be honest, I'm not convinced on that one.

MikeyR, who clearly knows a thing or two about exercise, said this:
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
    Exercise is the key here, if you feel that dancing is exercise then honestly you are not doing enough REAL exercise

Another key fact is, if you are over 30 (go on be honest, youre not really 21 Again) Resistence exercise is the best hope to keep your metabolism
    high.... Why go through the agony of cutting out all of the nice things that you can eat. With proper regular exercise (NO NOT DANCING!! ) and a balanced diet and the problem is solved.
    Sure, MJ dancing gets your heart rate up, it's better than sitting on your backside for an evening, but I reckon the exercise benefits are vastly overrated.

Sure, professional dancers have lovely figures, but that's a combination of diet, posture, exercise and dancing.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Really ? Wow, its almost as if some people read what they want to read and ignore what you actually said
    If your talking about me.. I read and fully understood what Andy said but I disagreed with it..

He said you'll sweat 'less' the fitter you get!

I said, you sweat 'more' the fitter you get!

Anyway, I'm off to the gym now, to get sweaty!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Sure, professional dancers have lovely figures, but that's a combination of diet, posture, exercise and dancing.
    I absolutely agree with this. MJ is probably more exercise than walking, but much less than some other forms of exercise in terms of improving cardiovascular fitness, muscle tone, etc.

Having said the above. I think I read something recently that said we need to walk for 20 minutes a day to maintain a reasonable level of fitness. But, I suppose, we need to consider what we want to be fit to do. When I was doing martial arts 3 times a week I needed to go the gym and go running every other day to maintain my fitness levels. Nowadays I have no requirement to leap into the air and break pieces of wood so I don't need to be that fit. Nowadays I'd probably break every bone in my body if I attempted such a thing

I actually feel less fit dancing four nights a week than I have felt for many years. I think it's because I've started to make it easier for myself by taking smaller steps and giving my hand away when women try to use me for their resistance training. Perhaps I should start going to the gym again to get that fitness level I used to enjoy.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    He said you'll sweat 'less' the fitter you get!

I said, you sweat 'more' the fitter you get!
    I think we're both right. I think that, once you're fit you can do what you used to do more efficiently, therefore you will sweat less than you did. However, increasing fitness means you can do more so you are likely to generate more heat and will need to sweat more.

.. I wonder what Lory will be wearing at the gym ...

... drifts off into dream sequence ...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    If your talking about me.. I read and fully understood what Andy said but I disagreed with it..
    No, certainly not you

... drifts off into dream sequence ...
    Do you remember the video that goes with the song "call on me"? Lory looks very much like that - just a bit more sweaty and a bit more dirty.

To be honest, I'm not convinced on that one.

MikeyR, who clearly knows a thing or two about exercise, said this:

Sure, MJ dancing gets your heart rate up, it's better than sitting on your backside for an evening, but I reckon the exercise benefits are vastly overrated.

Sorry, David, but I disagree with you this one. Having worked as a personal trainer for years (admittedly in the past, and yes, I have let things go slightly... ) and been involved in sports' coaching at various levels, I'm pretty sure I'm qualified to comment on this. In terms of exercise, dancing is like everything else. You get out of it what you put in! Whether or not it is good exercise all depends on what you want to achieve.

If you are very unfit and have been living a sedentary lifestyle, then any form of exercise will be good for you, as long as you don't push yourself too hard. Light dancing could be considered vigorous exercise for a 25 stone man who has barely been off the sofa in ten years. I'm not denying that MikeyR is in great shape, but his ultimate goal has been to increase muscle size. That's why he lifts weights. While dancing will help tone certain muscles, it is not going to turn you into Arnie!

There is absolutely no doubt that dancing IS good exercise, but not if you dance to 1 in 5 songs and spend the rest of the time swigging beer at the bar and chatting to your friends. To get aerobic benefits out of dancing and to improve the efficiency of your cardiovascular system, you need to keep a sustained level of exercise going. If, for example, losing weight is your goal, working at around 60-70% of your maximum heart rate for around 40-60 minutes will provide great benefits. This can be achieved by dancing at a comfortable pace to standard Ceroc songs, around 120-130bpm. Dance to every track in a night and you will get a damn good workout and, believe me, you will sweat!! If, on the other hand, you want to work on your fitness levels, you should be aiming to dancing at 70-80% of your maximum heart rate for around 20-30 minutes. You can achieve this simply by putting more effort into your dancing (and not just prancing around trying to look cool!) or by making a point of dancing to songs like CandyMan or similar.

As with any form of exercise, diet is important if you are trying to lose weight or even sustain your current weight and if you want to tone or increase muscle size, you will need to start lifting weights. Sure, professional dancers are in gerat shape because they train so hard, but the average person does not need to train to that level. They can still get fitness and efficency gains which are relevant to their own situation. The thing about most Ceroc classes is that they are social events, so people go along to relax and have fun, not to exercise. However, to re-iterate what I said earlier, you get out of it what you put in. I managed to lose 3 stone in three months by eating sensibly and dancing 4 nights a week. I know of a woman who dances regularly as her only form of exercise and has shed almost 6 stone in the last year and most people will tell you after a few months of dancing that they feel much fitter and healthier.

Lory is absolutely right when she says that the fitter you are, the more you sweat. As I mentioned in an earlier post, as your fitness improves, your body becomes more efficient at cooling itself, and so you will sweat sooner and at a lower core temperature.

For some years I really let my body go, but have recently started training again, mainly because I want to compete in more dancing competitions. I now go to the gym 4 or 5 days a week and dance 5 or 6 days a week. Having not done any exercise, other than dancing, for the best part of 6 years, I went for a fitness test recently when I joined the gym at work. My resting heart rate was only 46bpm and my cardio fitness was waaaay better than expected. Now I know I dance more than most people, but it does go to show what great exercise it is. More importantly, it’s great fun! When I’m dancing I know I’m getting great physical benefit from it, but the most important part for me is that I don’t feel like I’m exercising. It really is a win-win situation!

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    Do you remember the video that goes with the song "call on me"? Lory looks very much like that - just a bit more sweaty and a bit more dirty.

Chef,

You've just ruined months of counselling by getting me hooked on that video again!!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    In terms of exercise, dancing is like everything else. You get out of it what you put in! Whether or not it is good exercise all depends on what you want to achieve.
    Yes, sure - I don't think it's useless, I just think it's overrated.

Most people will probably not look at dancing as an exercise - they'll dance a bit, they'll chat to friends, they'll drink lots of unhealthy drinks, they'll stop if they feel tired, they won't be jumping around like a maniac all the time, and so on. Using dance as an exercise can also be inconsiderate towards your partner, who wants to dance with a sweaty banshee?

And someone who stops to look at their watch and count their heartbeat every song will be seen as a little odd

So I don't think we're in disagreement about the potential benefits of dancing. I'm just saying that almost no-one, in practice, realises these benefits. At most, a few people will lose some weight - but that's mostly the "easy weight loss" bit I think, they'd probably have lost just as much from going for a walk every day or whatever.

So it's not nothing, but dancing is not a fitness regime, and we fool ourselves (I know, because I did) if we think it is.

Oh, and:
    I can vouch for Chef's comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    if you want to tone or increase muscle size, you will need to start lifting weights.
    Shame Ceroc banned aerials really...

Thread Information