Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't men bring a towel/change of shirt?

Commercial Operator

Re: Why don't men bring a towel/change of shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    However, I do believe that being a better dancer means you will also be a more efficient dancer and that means you will produce less heat.
    Fully agree - it's not about how much energy one puts into a dance, but how much energy one wastes - in general, a better dancer will simply use his / her energy more efficiently. So - less heat, less sweat, and it tires one out less.

Which is why I can dance to much faster, more energetic tracks than I could ten years ago without knackering myself in the process the way I would have back then. Despite being a lot less physically fit than I was in those days.

Doesn't stop me sweating, but on average, I do sweat less.

On which front - yes, it's unavoidable, but I think it's good manners to try and give our partners as comfortable a dance experience as possible, with as little donation of sweat as can be managed. My normal, completely counter-intuitive approach, is to wear a smart (but light) jacket - similar to the vest approach, but probably dumber. Works very well - so long as I don't take the jacket off in public...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    And I've got no problems with starting a sentence with "And".
    And what makes you say that?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    As much as you would like me to be ridculing Andy so you have something interesting to read, that is not the case.

There should be more ridculing full stop - that and viscousness No doubt Andy would come to a sticky end through a particularly viscous response

Are you really now comparing your posts to the Lords prayer?? It was only a matter of time I guess.
    I can see how a demonstration of using AND at the beginning of a sentence, is by association, a direct comparison of Andys posts and the Lords prayer. Oh no, sorry I can't. Lee can you maybe take a hint and see that the majority of your posts come across as Anti-Andy whether you mean it or not
    If you were pandering to Andy, that could be Andy-Pandy, which would be funny but not funny enough that i should type this sentence. Damn.

The Lords prayer is a translation from Aaramic (sic)
    But no, thats not how it is written anywhere else. Use of sic as an excuse for bad spelling is not...oh never mind

BTW they added Nice to the dictonary in 1920's which could explain it.
    Thats better, humourously insulting is good

I didn't say I disagree with you. I just disagree with the fact experianced dancers don't sweat due to better technique.
    Better technique should enable you to sweat LESS simply due to less wasted body movement, its not a magical biological change when you reach dance nirvana - where did Andy state that enhanced dancing ability prevents the body from needing to sweat?

If it did apply to everything, You wouldn't see boxers sweat or runners or any other pro sportsman.
    Nonsense, i think you'll find that an amateur boxer against a pro would sweat much more due to the wasted effort.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Although I switch shirt colours through the night in a bid to re-dance with people I may have scared (or emotionally scarred) earlier in the evening
    yes it doesn't work baby, ya hairy shoulders are sort of a giveaway xxxxx oh and ps... i love em.xxx

I am one of the lucky girls who doesn't actually sweat but i always carry my makeup bag, facial wipes, my hairbrush, comb, pins, a change of clothes, deodrant and body spray, even if its empty i then carry my perfume with me. Anything that will make me smell nice

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    There should be more ridculing
    Wasn't that a film with Vin Diesel? Or was that a character in Terry Pratchett's Discworld?

Nonsense, i think you'll find that an amateur boxer against a pro would sweat much more due to the wasted effort.
    The sports analogy is fairly silly. Professional sports people sweat because they work harder as they get better, obviously. A large part of their profession is aimed at producing as much focussed energy as possible. Duh.

I've always sweated when dancing. I probably sweat just as much now as I did when I started... perhaps more so.
    Although I am using muscles more efficiently, I am using more muscles in a bigger variety of movements - one seems to cancel the other out. I dance fast to fast music and slow to slow music... while dancing my movements tend to be enough to dry the sweat and keep me relatively cool. When I stop, the air-flow stops and I heat up.
    Slow songs do make me produce less heat, but only if I am dancing with minimal contact: "shared bodily warmth". I tend to adsorb someone else's heat and give it back again creating an even hotter area where we touch.

My advice - wear a colour that doesn't make it immediately obvious that you need to wring out your shirt. Don't let the sweat dry enough that it starts to smell. Drink enough water to compensate for what you loose. Have some salted peanuts (salt to replace what you loose and peanuts are good energy). Fore-warn partners that you are a bit soggy and allow them the opportunity to refuse.

The only problem I have found is having to dance blind for half a track because the sweat is stinging your eyes... I've found you need good floorcraft, an internal sense of direction, listening to your partner's movements and a sixth sense to get out the way of other dancers and not get in their way. Find the right radioactive spider or toxic waste and it's easy

If sweating was an international sport I would be sweating for Wales.

We all sweat, dancing is a hard and fast activity, personally I am a large dancer and leap about like a Kangaroo on speed and I love it.

The titan clash of two sweat drenched bodies moving in perfect harmony on the dance floor is a joy to behold. Even better if they are of the opposite sex, but hey not compulsory in my book.

DTS XX XXX

The sports analogy is fairly silly.
    SHOCK!!! HORROR!!! Are you honestly, and truly expecting me to believe that some manner of silliness has actually been purposely authored in one of DS's posts!!!!

I'm ...... I'm ...... I'm. Well I don't know what to say! Outrageous it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Smurf
    There should be more ridculing full stop - that and viscousness No doubt Andy would come to a sticky end through a particularly viscous response
    Oh ... DS ... you are a wag!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

yes, but my dog has no nose

An interesting topic this. I sweat quite a bit while dancing and welcome any suggestions to help with this. Technique things aside there are lots of simple things I find help.

Black and white shirts are the best at covering up ugly sweat marks. White might show as being a bit seethrough if its not a heavy enough material, but is cooler. Black hides most things, I just avoid synthetic materials. I bring a sports towel to events, its softer, more absorbant, and smaller than a normal towel. Deodorant and aftershave are always in my bag. I usually have at least one spare shirt too. But most of all, if ive had some good fast dances, or its just a hot night and ive danced for 3 or 4, I just go and stand outside/by a fan/by a door/window etc. Cool down for a track or two, and then go back in again. So what if I get all sweaty again in the first 30 seconds, at least I look cool when going onto the floor.

I have noticed that women who wear an outfit for the night tend to go and cool off/dance less than those who dress just for dancing (ie as if going to the gym) and im sure its the same with blokes.

But then as all things in dancing, you get some who are generally more considerate of those around them, be it with floorcraft, leading/following or the connection and interaction of the dance; odour, sweat and other such things included.

Commercial Operator

yes, but my dog has no nose
    How does it see?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    How does it see?
    through pilots goggles

...where is Will these days ?

Commercial Operator

For some reason I'm like a lightning rod for ridicule from the charming, but dishonest, disreputable and perverted. I think it's my friendly and easy-going nature that fools them into taking me as a potential mark. And, to some extent they are right to do so as they can usually fool me once. After that my viscosity increases to the level of magma

My mistake is to expect others to learn from my mistakes. Of course people who have been "charmed" do not listen to the warnings of a "cross dressing arrogant wa*ker" I am not charming in the way of the con-man - I'm straight-talking, moral and honest - this is sometimes less than charming and sometimes perceived as arrogance. This means all that results from my "outing" a dishonest "charmer" is that I find myself saying "I told you so" after the "charm" has worn off! I really must learn to leave people to make thier own mistakes! Or I need to learn how to be a bit less blunt and a bit more charming.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Of course people who have been "charmed" do not listen to the warnings of a "cross dressing arrogant wa*ker"
    So, just so I can get things straight:
    - You're not arrogant
    - Mikey's not a cross-dresser

Is that about right?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

"cross dressing arrogant wa*ker"

You do do a lot of walking thought don't you?

Commercial Operator

So, just so I can get things straight:
    - You're not arrogant
    - Mikey's not a cross-dresser

Is that about right?
    It does seem that we have just the one thing in common

I tell you what I am getting annoyed with all of the cross dressing going on on this forum. I thought I was the only closet transexuall and now this bloody place is knee deep in them.

I so wanted to be special.

Has anyone seen my primary carer?

DTS XXX XXX

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    I so wanted to be special.
    You are special. Well, at least your needs are

Professional sports people sweat because they work harder as they get better, obviously.
    Some dancers work harder too. Though not me.

Handheld fans should be mentioned on this thread too.

Thread Information