Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't men bring a towel/change of shirt?

Re: Why don't men bring a towel/change of shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    And for the record it's not just the men. I rarely see females with towels to be honest.
    I think that is a little on the general side. Most girls tend to have variations of the same top and will change it at least once of a warm evening.

Most men will see a black top but won't notice that it is a different black top to the one worn earlier - that one had sparkes on it and this one has ruffles! This way an overall outfit is kept with only minor variations when the girly becomes sweaty and needs to change.

Also, we go to the ladies to do this changing as the price of your entry does not include a side show!

Cool Re: Why don't men bring a towel/change of shirt?

There is an easy solution to this problem. Before setting out to the venue have a shower and then wrap yourself up entirely in cling film. Simply put your clothes on over the top and you're good to go.

Dance as hard and frantically as you want. At the end of the night just wring out your socks.

Small Print: I
    f you decide to try this approach, please let me know what venue you'll be at so I can laugh at you when you pass out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    ... The first solution is to improve your dancing to a level where it is less effort and results in less heat production - you will sweat much less and probably never to a dripping level. ...
    Andy, you're only party right on this one, but you're mostly wrong.

You're right, improving technique and training your body will cause you to sweat less due to increased efficiency.

But you're basically wrong, as some people just sweat more and it doesn't matter how good their technique or fitness is, and as someone else pointed out, the super-fit tend to sweat at lower temperatures.

I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't sweat excessively, and I'm not good enough (or maybe I'm just anti-social enough) to get asked to dance to every track that comes on, and so have time to chill and dry off when I'm feeling a tad damp.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I think that is a little on the general side. Most girls tend to have variations of the same top and will change it at least once of a warm evening.

Most men will see a black top but won't notice that it is a different black top to the one worn earlier - that one had sparkes on it and this one has ruffles! This way an overall outfit is kept with only minor variations when the girly becomes sweaty and needs to change.
    Exactly what my good wife does. I'd do the same but very few of my t-shirts look the same so it's obvious (and not always colour-co-ordinated) when I change

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Andy, you're only party right on this one, but you're mostly wrong.

You're right, improving technique and training your body will cause you to sweat less due to increased efficiency.

But you're basically wrong, as some people just sweat more and it doesn't matter how good their technique or fitness is, and as someone else pointed out, the super-fit tend to sweat at lower temperatures.

I think Agente Secreto is just showing a lack of experience.

Andy, I can assure you that I have a lifetime of experience of sweating even although I do not have much dancing experience.

Of course you've explained the physiological aspects of sweat well, I just think that by telling us that we don't need towels we simply needed to have better technique you started off on the patronising track. I'm actually in favour of the quest for better technique that comes through in many of your other posts, as long as dancing stays fun. I just simply don't agree that your initial entry on this thread presented real help to many.

Back on sweat, I know why it's there, courtesy of a couple of engineering degrees I am fully aware of the cooling effects of evaporation. But relying on this alone would mean I'd spend too much time off the floor sitting outside or beside a fan cooling off and that defeats the object of the night. So back to what I said, for the vast bulk of people the way to make sure we're pleasant to dance with is by changing our shirts regularly and toweling down occasionally.

Chill out , it's a discussion forum and not everyone is going to agree with you.

Commercial Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    Chill out , it's a discussion forum and not everyone is going to agree with you.
    Don't worry, I'm quite chilled when intelligent and honest people debate points I've raised. What raises my teperature is when people like Lee say that I'm wrong and resort to criticising my use of English as a way of proving it

As I said earlier, I think it is unacceptable for a guy who is dripping wet to expect a lady to enjoy dancing with him. My personal strategy is to generate less heat by being more efficient and to use natural means to cool whatever heat the body does produce. However, I also recommend that guys use whatever means necessary to stay dry.

As organisers we have invested in over £1,500 worth of fans that we use to create a nice, cooling breeze. We have 5 pedestal fans that give a massive 8120cfm air flow, we also have 3 carpet drying style fans that only give 2500 cfm air flow but seem much more directional in the breeze they supply. The only problem we have is transporting all our fans to venues. All this air moving around the venue seems to reduce the amount of sweat - I'm guessing that's because the breeze promotes better evaporation.

I would love to take portable air-conditioning units to our venues. I investigated them and the ones that would make a significant difference are very heavy and need more than 13 amp sockets. Maybe one day we'll be in that league, but not until we have big strong roadies and trucks with tail-lifts. You can even get massive air-conditioning trailers - but that's just getting silly when all you need to do is get people to change their shirts.

As with a few people i know I judge how good a night its been by how many t shirts are in my bag ready for the wash
    I shower before going out dancing
    I make sure my teeth are clean and my breath fresh you would be amazed the amount of ladies who have garlic just before going out dancing up close and personal (or wear TCP thinking its smells nice and is a perfume)
    I change as often as i can
    I spray on a regular basis
    I use magicool and the venue fans to try to keep my body cool
    Main problem as i see it i sweat and as a male most venues have a lot more ladies than us men therefore we end up dancing to more tracks than the ladies
    Bigger workload means more sweat imho
    More sweat means more shirts
    More shirts means i have had a great nights dancing

Running cold tap water over the wrists is a quick way of cooling the body.

One thing that the girls talked about on Friday night was the difference between 'stale' sweat and 'fresh' sweat.

As you might guess, they indicated that 'fresh' sweat was generally ok - from an odour perspective - however, it was the more rancid 'stale' sweat, as it was described, which was so off-putting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Running cold tap water over the wrists is a quick way of cooling the body.
    Thats never worked for me. Running cold water on my head doesn't do a lot either. When i get hot its my head that sweats, this in turn makes my hair wet which drips down my front and back. Not an attractive look. Nothing i do stops it. Pain in the harris.

We have 5 pedestal fans that give a massive 8120cfm air flow, we also have 3 carpet drying style fans that only give 2500 cfm air flow but seem much more directional in the breeze they supply.
    Glad you have fans at your venue, they really do help. However there is a health warning attached to particularly the more directional ones - ladies with floaty skirts can't dance within about 6 feet of the air stream unless they fancy having their skirt blown upwards and showing the world their pants have seen this happen to one poor lady who thankfully was wearing fairly modest undies - but she danced on the other side of the room for the rest of the evening...

In terms of sweating a shower beforehand, a good dose of antiperspirant and a nice loose cotton or linen shirt or three seems to do the trick for me.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    I can see the point about technique - and agree very much...to a point.
    Oooh, too many points

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    What I would ask is what about when you let rip, go for it, full tilt at a fast rock 'n roll tune or Candy Man full pelt and move? And you throw the technique book and just go wherever the music takes you and lose yourself and forget about being efficient or using less effort........have you ever done that? Did you break sweat? Was there any noticeable incremental moisture being exuded?
    Yes, of course. Energy is energy, when all's said and done.

And yes, probably some aspect of the non-sweatiness is the experience not to "go for it" all the time. I only dance MJ at Berko at the moment - if I have one or two fast ones (e.g. last night to Gorillaz "Feel Good Inc." (great track, to tiger for that one), then I may rest or go back to the Blues Room for the slower ones.

But even in normal MJ environments, I definitely sweat less than I used to, dancing to the same tracks. Some of that must be down to improved technique.

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post
    Glad you have fans at your venue, they really do help. However there is a health warning attached to particularly the more directional ones - ladies with floaty skirts can't dance within about 6 feet of the air stream unless they fancy having their skirt blown upwards and showing the world their pants
    I have seen a situation where 6ft is not enough. Two of the blower type fans were set up on opposite sides of the room pointing at each other. When the two air streams met in the middle they had to spread out sideways ... and upwards ...

Blog Entries

I do understand his point, I just don't believe that it applies to all of us. Some people sweat more than others for all sorts of reasons.
    Sure - we're all different.

But the general point (good technique means less effort) is valid, I think. Obviously it's not saying "good dancers never sweat", though.

The post was written because I happen to believe that Andy's view simply does not apply to the vast bulk of people I see dancing every week. Otherwise we have no option to believe that, apart from a few select individuals, good technique is largely missing from the bulk of venues I've ever been at because there does seem to be a hell of lot of sweat out there.
    Actually, I think good technique is missing from most MJ venues. Because it's not taught. That's hardly surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post
    Glad you have fans at your venue, they really do help. However there is a health warning attached to particularly the more directional ones - ladies with floaty skirts can't dance within about 6 feet of the air stream unless they fancy having their skirt blown upwards and showing the world their pants
    You think men need to be told this? I've noticed that sometimes when I was wearing a skirt some would dance me gradually closer to the fans for the 'Marilyn skirt effect'...

We don't have fans at my local venue but we do have doors leading out to a terrace overlooking tennis courts - I often pop outside for a cool off between tracks. Its right off the dance floor, there are benches, there is an over hang so even if a wet night there is usually a dry area to stand on and at this time of the year there is often even a game of tennis to watch for a few mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    You think men need to be told this? I've noticed that sometimes when I was wearing a skirt some would dance me gradually closer to the fans for the 'Marilyn skirt effect'...
    Surely not!!! That is sooo very very very naughty!!! I'd never ever ever ever do such a thing!!! Honest guv!

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    You're right, improving technique and training your body will cause you to sweat less due to increased efficiency. ...
    Not to mention less nervous energy. Imagine dancing with some gorgeous specimen of dancer, and trying to raise the courage to ask them out (or something), whilst over-concentrating on every single muscular contraction in order to get everything 101% spot on correct, in order to really, really, really impress them.

I'm feeling, just a bit warmer now, and I'm only thinking about it!!

Same goes for Andy's car driving daughter. I would suggest that the nervous tension would be far more responsible for over heating than physical efficiency of movement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    Not to mention less nervous energy. Imagine dancing with some gorgeous specimen of dancer, and trying to raise the courage to ask them out (or something), whilst over-concentrating on every single muscular contraction in order to get everything 101% spot on correct, in order to really, really, really impress them.

I'm feeling, just a bit warmer now, and I'm only thinking about it!!

Same goes for Andy's car driving daughter. I would suggest that the nervous tension would be far more responsible for over heating than physical efficiency of movement.
    Yes - good point.

I think it's probably both - but I couldn't make a guess as to the percentages involved.

And I've got no problems with starting a sentence with "And".

I used to judge how good an evening I had by the number of T-shirts I had gotten through in that evening.

I did find that because I was changing T-shirts so often through the course of an evening that people couldn’t find me easily because they would remember the colour of shirt that I had on and later on look for the shirt – by that time I had changed to a different colour shirt. These days I am mostly to be seen I the Chefs trousers at venues so identification (whether you want to dance with me or to avoid me) is not a problem.

I also take to the venue a big rucksack of T-shirts which are all one colour (either black or white) because that makes sorting the washing simple at the end of the evening. I do have a blue or yellow shirt at the bottom of the bag just to warn me that I am down to my last T-shirt and will need to go out to the car for further supplies after this one is done.

I am quite lucky where I work because we have showers and a rest room so I can always have a little sleep after work (which helps me be alert during the long drive home late at night) and then have a shave and a shower before heading out. It would make little sense to drive the hour home to shower and change and then drive an hour back just to get back to where I started (most places I want to dance are north of where I work but home is south of work).

These days I find that I don’t actually want to dance to every single song, I enjoy talking to people and that dancing seems much less effort than it used to be so although I sweat a fair bit it is not as much as days of yore.

I do find that antiperspirants make my skin sore and itchy so I have to avoid them. I rely on showering just before going to the venue, changing T-shirts often, and having a clean flannel in the bag so that I can wash in the loos.

At weekenders I find that going back to the chalet to have a salty snack, a shower and complete change of clothes after about 4 hours of dancing helps me over any mid evening slump. I only miss about 30 minutes of dancing and can plan it to be during part of the set of a DJ that you don’t enjoy as much as the others. After that it is back to the dance floor revitalised.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Sure - we're all different.

But the general point (good technique means less effort) is valid, I think. Obviously it's not saying "good dancers never sweat", though.
    I don't think I said that "good dancers never sweat". Also, I didn't say that guys who sweat buckets are bad dancers. However, I do believe that being a better dancer means you will also be a more efficient dancer and that means you will produce less heat.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Actually, I think good technique is missing from most MJ venues. Because it's not taught. That's hardly surprising.

Cool Re: Why don't men bring a towel/change of shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    At weekenders I find that going back to the chalet to have a salty snack, a shower and complete change of clothes after about 4 hours of dancing helps me over any mid evening slump. I only miss about 30 minutes of dancing and can plan it to be during part of the set of a DJ that you don’t enjoy as much as the others. After that it is back to the dance floor revitalised.
    Although I switch shirt colours through the night in a bid to re-dance with people I may have scared (or emotionally scarred) earlier in the evening

Thread Information