Thread: Biodiesel. Anyone use it?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Biodiesel. Anyone use it?

Anyone use biodiesel or know what the current rules are on using it?

I always thought it was illegal to use in the uk but there is a growing number of websites showing you how to make it etc.

Re: Biodiesel. Anyone use it?

Nope! Not illegal at all!! In fact, I believe that the current law is that 2000 Litres per year are allowed to be processed for personal use before excise duty is due (see Biofuel duty to be collected quarterly - 26/06/2007 - RoadTransport.com).

France (as is so often the case) is far more on the ball than we are in environmental matters. 5% of all diesel is biodiesel, by which I am assuming recycled oil.

As far as the differences go, biodiesel is more solvent than petro-diesel, and so, will clean the engine internals more, and dump all the crap in the fuel filter!!! [make sure it gets cleaned!]

The bad side effect of the added solvency, is that it may well attack any rubber seals, especially in the fuel pump. Some fuel pumps are suspectible to this, others are ok.

Hope this answers some questions.

Cheers ... Ian

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Howcome we are not all using it then?

Tempted to brew up a batch to see what it's like.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    Nope! Not illegal at all!! In fact, I believe that the current law is that 2000 Litres per year are allowed to be processed for personal use before excise duty is due (see Biofuel duty to be collected quarterly - 26/06/2007 - RoadTransport.com).
    That's not the implication of the HM Revenue and Customs site, which says (in answer to the question "Can I make biodiesel?"):
    "You must notify HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) of your intention to produce biodiesel." and
    "Biodiesel that can be shown to meet the full definition will attract a duty rate of 20 pence per litre lower than the sulphur-free diesel rate."

It also says a bit further down:

"Important Note: It is illegal to run your car on any fuel substitute without having first paid us the duty."

Also certain diesels really don't like it - my car has a specific warning against it on the fuel filler.
    Love dance, will travel

Blog Entries

I'm guessing you're talking about DIY Biodiesel, however biofuels (including Diesel) have been mixed in with normal fuels at the pump for a few years now. In fact, I believe that government legislation requires at least 2.5% of fuel at the pump to be biofuel.
    So, really we all are.

To further add ti confusion see The Environment Agency which states:
    If you're producing the biodiesel by the trans-esterification process for your own personal use, we do not regulate this as it is not considered to be commercial production.
    Seems to me that whatever legislation states, in practice it is not enforced for personal use operations. I did consider starting to make my own, and simply found it very hard to find a supplier of waste oil.

As for Gav's 2.5% of all fuel being a bio source, I'm afraid that I don't believe it. Again from the website
    and the Government has demonstrated its commitment by setting targets of 2% of sales by 2005 and 5.75% by 2010
    Call me cynical, but I'll believe it on seeing a statement that is more than an intention [OTOH, maybe we are up to 5+% already?? History tells me though, that we always seem to lag behind Europe in all things green, sadly]

You dont have to make your own biodiesel. You can have your engine converted to run off veg oil, which is a lot cheaper to buy in bulk than diesel. My brother had his engine converted a while back and hasnt had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    As for Gav's 2.5% of all fuel being a bio source, I'm afraid that I don't believe it. Again from the website
    Call me cynical, but I'll believe it on seeing a statement that is more than an intention
    In general I'd agree with your cynicism, but in this case it's not just an intention, it's been a legal requirement since 15th April this year under the Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation.

Of course this also generates its own environmental concerns - see UK Biofuel Policy “Insane” - Senior Government Scientist

Thread Information