Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 350 Knife assaults every day, what’s the solution ?

Blog Entries

Re: 350 Knife assaults every day, what’s the solution ?

Listen, its a dog eat dog life out there. I know women who have knives in their cars, i have one by my bed that DTS gave me for protection, its dangerous out there and sometimes the kids carry them for just that reason, its not always to act big or cause they are part of a gang. They feel threatened and this forces them to carry.

There are a number of things that could be done, these are not points i necessarily agree wtih but have thought off;

1. Bring back corporal punishment
    2. bring back compulsory army service
    3. Make school leaving age older
    4. Make summer schools compulsory
    5. Make curfew a law requirement unless accompanied by adults

All could possibily reduce this problem in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Thoughts?
    Yes, you shouldn't be allowed to post unsupervised.

Listen, its a dog eat dog life out there.
    Thoughts?
    If someone broke into your flat you could always limp off in a hurry.

DTS XXX XXX

Commercial Operator

Re: Call that a Knife?

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I thought there was a joke in here ?

Ie you mentioned a gorilla , who I assume is a security guard just doing his job not a real gorilla ??

The usual end to this story is , we dont see many gorillas in this tent and the answer is Im not surprised at these prices

The point of course is the lack of respect for authority is endemic in all areas

If I was the security guard I'd have said :is your boat in this tent ? , answer no ....then put the fu***ing knife on your boat under lock and key
    I think that, as usual, S38 has got the wrong end of this. There is no reason why people can not carry a knife it they have reason to do so. Carrying a knife in your pocket when travelling from one place you need the knife and the place where you store the knife is OK. Stopping off on the journey to have a beer, right next to where you parked your boat is entirely reasonable. The "gorilla" had not been briefed properly, was unable to think for himself and was subsequently given the correct instructions - those were that it was entirely reasonable for sailors to still have their safety equipment on them when they step off their boat and are still in the marina.

So, as the "gorilla" was subsequently given the instructions that is was OK for sailors to have knives, the only person who thinks they shouldn't have them on them is S38. Everyone, including security, thinks one thing, S38 thinks they are all wrong. Sorry S38, it's you that doesn't have a clue.

Commercial Operator

1. Bring back corporal punishment
    2. bring back compulsory army service
    3. Make school leaving age older
    4. Make summer schools compulsory
    5. Make curfew a law requirement unless accompanied by adults

All could possibily reduce this problem in my opinion.

Thoughts?
    All of the above are unreasonable IMHO.

I think that the law should be enforced. That is all. At the moment the law is not being enforced. HMGov need to get on and do their job of writing and enforcing the law and punishing those break the law.

Listen, its a dog eat dog life out there. I know women who have knives in their cars, i have one by my bed that DTS gave me for protection, its dangerous out there and sometimes the kids carry them for just that reason, its not always to act big or cause they are part of a gang. They feel threatened and this forces them to carry.
    It is a tough one.

My son got badly beaten up several times in the UK - as in hospitalised.

He took to carrying a knife as a deterant, and also as a confidence thing.
    Since carrying a knife, he had no problems, either he held himself as a "non-victim" or he used it as a deterent.

I only found this out recently and have asked him not to carry in Aus, as there is no need where we live now.

Here are my thoughts....

I don't believe that sticking them in prison is the long term solution. I used to teach in a residential school for youths who had been expelled from most secondary schools in the area. The older pupils taught younger pupils everything they needed to know about drugs, theft, prostitution, pimping and goodness knows what else. These younger pupils ended up bigger criminals than their 'teachers' and most of them are in prison now or dead!!

We need to invest in the future generation and as CJ said, that starts with the little ones. Yes, at the moment, there needs to be some kind of deterrent which would be a prison sentence but we can't ignore what kind of criminal society will produce in the future.

I am thinking about writing to my local MP about this matter. As a teacher I feel that we need to address this problem asap. The whole education system needs to be re-structured in order to try to provide a tailored education program for the individual which helps to build/focus on their strengths. Over the years this will produce pupils/adolescents/adults who have experienced that wonderful feeling of success, satisfaction and self-worth. They will have built up essential and very important skills both for themselves and for society but more importantly they will have some kind of focus and realistic direction in their lives.

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Thread Information