Thread: Fadela Amara

Fadela Amara

They may be a bit parochial but I think we could do with a few French politicians in this "excessively inclusive" UK government of ours.

I'm not anti-religious nor overly racist but I'd love to live in a secular Britain with politicians who would ban overt religious displays. Fadela Amara

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Fadela Amara

A secular country is VERY pro-religious because it does not have any sort of government bias toward a particular religion - so you are free to do what you like. The neutrality of it allows your OWN free expression of your religion, no matter how uncommon.

The burqa is not religious I'd say - its cultural and quite frankly, a bit backward. Its no different to the victorian attitude of as little visible flesh as possible. At the time would have been called a "christian attitude to flesh" or some such, but it wasn't. Religion does move on as well, as it is part of our culture...Gay people don't get sent straight to prison anymore, which is nice.

But hey, I like your admission that you're not "overly" racist - just partially i assume (i think i know what you meann )

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    I'd love to live in a secular Britain with politicians who would ban overt religious displays.
    That wouldn't be Britain, then. Like it or not, our heritage makes our country what it is.

France has a strong secular tradition, and has had for centuries. We don't.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    I'd love to live in a secular Britain...
    Tricky, when the country has laws which specifically ban followers of a certain religion from becoming head of state. Oh, and automatically grants seats in one of its legislative chambers to the heads of another faith (whilst simultaneously banning said certain faith from some offices related to said chamber).

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    That wouldn't be Britain, then.
    Yes it would, its naturally changing into a more secular Britain but its still Britain If you look at pictures before World War II , everyone wore a hat - is the current non-hat wearing Britain "no longer" Britain ?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Britain used to have Caramac bars for 5p. I remember the advert. Its a sad kick in the face for society that this is no longer true

Thread Information