Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black and white or lurex

Re: Black and white or lurex

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    Are there reasons for what you wear.
    I (like a lot of men) sweat a lot an at large venues such as Camber was forever running back to my bag for a towel.
    on one occasion I left the baseball cap on, sweating problem was overcome.
    Unfortunately on close moves there was a tendency to but the lady with the peak of the cap.
    so I tried the bandana.
    Peter

I always wondered where the story of the bandana came from.

However when you see Mr Lizard on the dance floor with bandana you know it's Mr Lizard!, when you see Nigel with the Cap you know it's Nigel. In other words certain characters have invented their own style in the way the dress.

Ladies you can do the same! in the way you dress - I'll leave it for you fair maidens to comment on that

I like to start a long freestyle evening, wearing a shirt with buttons on and long sleeves unless its 30 C and then I might wear a tee shirt. With tee shirts I prefer V necked ones to round neck purely because I am a bit shorter (a V neck makes the neck look longer). I usually always have black 'Next' jeans on.

As for shoes I have two pairs. For most evenings I wear the dance trainers for comfort and grip. For black tie evenings however I have a pair of black gamber hard soles, as wearing trainers with a DJ looks pants.

I haven't yet bought B &W's purely because I don't consider myself good enough to!

Commercial Operator
    I'm on my second pair of Bleyer Black & Whites, and have just acquired a pair of Bleyer black& Reds........They are very light, very soft, and very comfortable. They have a flat sole with no heel. I used to wear a pair of ordinary leather soled shoes that I thought were great, until I got my first pair of Bleyers. I tended up until a few months ago, to wear mainly black and white clothing, i.e, black t shirt with white trim, or black & white panel shirts, and the shoes matched them. more recently i have been wearing loose fitting combat style trousers, which I have found very cool(temperature) to dance in, and more brightly coloured t shirts. My black & whites don't really look right with those, so I wear my Capezzio dance trainers instead, they are also very comfy, but not as light as the Bleyers. I also prefer the B&Ws for Lindy Hop. I think there is a lot in the statement that how you dress reflects how you feel about yourself. Before I lost weight, I think I wore dark clothing because it had a slimming effect, whereas I now feel less self conscious in brighter clothes.

I must confess, I did buy a pair of.......not B+W's......but shiny silver dance trainers. The stealth low-profile thingy's.

They were ok as shoes go but nothing special.

They certainly got noticed as , at the time, not many people were wearing them. It was on one particualr night I was taking part in a beginners class and the ladies were moved round. The lady who stopped at me immediately looked at my feet and said "Oooo you must be good wearing them".

Since then i have never worn them. I dont want people to immediately 'assume' im a good dancer just by what im wearing whatever my actual standard is. I guess deep down i wanted people to notice me when i wore them (why else would i have bought them) but at the end of the day I felt uncomfortable with all the preconceptions.

Now im happy with my bloch's. Nice and......well.......black

As for B+W's. I (probably wrongly) associate these with the old style of dance in days gone by which isnt really the impression i want to give so i dont wear them.

Someone mentioned they were called 'Astairs'. Am i right in thinking then that they are from some years back!

At the end of the day , if you are wearing something that suggests 'good dancer' then its down to the person to show that they are

dress and shoes

Hi All,
    I like to think I always dress to impress, myself if nobody else.
    I can understand the chillout comfort style especially if you spend all week in a collar and tie but as I spend all week dressed like a tramp (not THE tramp) I like to get dressed up, even on a class night.
    As any of you out there who have seen me out and about. Some of my dance gear is a bit loud but I tend to wear it for my benifit. Cos I think it looks cool.
    I do own silky bowling shirts and waistcoats which match my trousers and I have had requests to wear my red trousers at certain venues.
    On the subject of B/W dance shoes which I also wear (as well as brown and whites and I'm saving up for a hand made red, white and blue pair) I wear Bleyers that are like slippers, so comfortable that I never want to take them off. I dont wear them to be noticed especially they just fit in wih the rest of my outfits.
    But I have found that people tend to expect you to be a bit good if you wear B/W shoes. I have been refused a dance on the supposition that I was too good because I had B/W shoes on!!!!

I don't notice a guys attire so much as the gorgeous smell of his after-shave or cologne, if he's wearing some. There's nothing worse than a stinky guy (or woman)!... so always wear something lovely smelling. My partner always smells fabulous and gets a lot of compliments from ladies about it.

My favourites are Cocoa Chanel or Le Perla.!!

On that subject of spraying things on, I usually spray Hugo Boss EDT on my shirts. It just makes it pleasant for the lady concerned.

I have to wear unperfumed Antiperspirant these days which they annoyingly call women's spray. This is because I am alergic to the perfumes that are in the men's sprays. I discovered this when I sprayed deodorant and when I took my shirt off at the end of the night's dancing , I had a red rash accross my chest.

Originally posted by Daisy
    I don't notice a guys attire so much as the gorgeous smell of his after-shave or cologne, if he's wearing some. There's nothing worse than a stinky guy (or woman)!... so always wear something lovely smelling. My partner always smells fabulous and gets a lot of compliments from ladies about it.

My favourites are Cocoa Chanel or Le Perla.!!
    Something tender to my heart, I cant pass a duty free without buying another bottle of smelly
    Been told it was bit ott in the past but still think it is better than the alternative.
    p

Thread Information