Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Texting - how fast do you respond?

Re: Texting - how fast do you respond?

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    don't think I'd be a happy-camper if someone texted me @ 3am in the morning!
    Depends who from, I got one of these last week, from someone that I didn't expect to hear from again, more accurately don't want to hear from again.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

There are some cafes in Sydney who refuse to serve someone at the counter if they are talking on their mobile phone or texting. They usually put up a sign stating this so that staff don't get an ever ruder response when they deny service to the "offender". The general gist is that if the person expects the full attention of the cafe staff at the counter, then the cafe staff would expect the same courtesy. It's also a bother to other customers in the cafe if they have to wait for someone to get off their phone so that they can have their order taken.
    I love the idea and think it's about time!
    I don't like this idea, its too controlling - so are these cafes going to ban people from talking to the person they are with while at the counter as well? And the number of times I've stood and waited at a counter while the staff behind finish their conversation and come and serve me...

I can imagine being in the queue, knowing I can't use that time to talk or text on my phone and seeing a member of staff chatting instead of serving someone...

I wouldn't talk on the phone while putting in my order, and if talking on the phone or texting while waiting in the queue I'd stop when ordering food. But I wouldn't want to be told not to use my phone while waiting.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I can imagine being in the queue, knowing I can't use that time to talk or text on my phone and seeing a member of staff chatting instead of serving someone...
    The kind of place that will not serve those on the phone will be the kind of place where inattentive staff will not be in the job for long.

I wouldn't talk on the phone while putting in my order, and if talking on the phone or texting while waiting in the queue I'd stop when ordering food. But I wouldn't want to be told not to use my phone while waiting.
    Thats not what is being suggested - if you WERE on the phone they would not serve you, which you've already admitted you won't be. So this would not affect you in the slightest. I think it's a great idea.

I've actually been in quite a few barbers/hairdressers that have put up signs banning mobile phones. the cheek of some people...

There are some cafes in Sydney who refuse to serve someone at the counter if they are talking on their mobile phone or texting. They usually put up a sign stating this so that staff don't get an ever ruder response when they deny service to the "offender". The general gist is that if the person expects the full attention of the cafe staff at the counter, then the cafe staff would expect the same courtesy. It's also a bother to other customers in the cafe if they have to wait for someone to get off their phone so that they can have their order taken.
    I love the idea and think it's about time!

It’s a great idea, may help some people realise good manners cost nothing

I don't like this idea, its too controlling - so are these cafes going to ban people from talking to the person they are with while at the counter as well? And the number of times I've stood and waited at a counter while the staff behind finish their conversation and come and serve me...
    Two wrongs don’t make a right

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    The kind of place that will not serve those on the phone will be the kind of place where inattentive staff will not be in the job for long.
    Lost me , the staff are being attentive

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

Lost me , the staff are being attentive
    Lynns staff aren't and hey, if you're lost I can tell you where to go

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    *snip*But it sounds as if you'd be OK to send smurf-related texts though. *snip*
    huh?...................

um...but why would you take your mobile phone into your bedroom ? only reason i can think of is you want to take some ...er..."footage" at some point
    I never said I took my phone to the bedroom - that was your assumption.
    I said that the tone for incoming messages was loud (so that I can hear it when it's in my handbag) - and so I can hear the beeper in the evening if a message comes in when I'm sleeping..

Thats not what is being suggested - if you WERE on the phone they would not serve you, which you've already admitted you won't be. So this would not affect you in the slightest. I think it's a great idea.
    I got the impression that you couldn't even be on the phone in the queue... otherwise how are they going to know whether you will end your conversation or stop reading your text when you get to the top and are ready to be served? (Which as already stated, I would do.)

Yes, good manners are important and I hate that people think that mobile phones should take first priority when they are actually in a face to face conversation with someone else.

Also not overly impressed with people phoning, either home phone or mobile, and never asking 'is it convenient to talk?' before launching into what they want.

The change was made as people on mobile phones whilst making their order was providing inefficiencies for the businesses.
    I guess if you saw the notice at the front of the cafe, you then have the choice of whether to stay or take your business elsewhere

Yes, good manners are important and I hate that people think that mobile phones should take first priority when they are actually in a face to face conversation with someone else.
    Reminds me of the time I was in a long queue to go into the local sports centre to play a game of squash.
    The queue was long, coz the receptionist kept taking phone calls and booking people in over and above those in the queue.

Well with 5 mins to go and only 2 courts left, I was the right in front of the receptionist - but she was not looking at me, she kept answeing the phone and asking people to wait... So I called the centre on the phone and booked a court.. she asked me how I would like to pay... I said cash... she said they could not take "cash over the phone" - so I said to her, no problems - if you look up I will hand you the cash

There I stood with cash in hand

Also not overly impressed with people phoning, either home phone or mobile, and never asking 'is it convenient to talk?' before launching into what they want.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I never said I took my phone to the bedroom - that was your assumption.
    I said that the tone for incoming messages was loud (so that I can hear it when it's in my handbag) - and so I can hear the beeper in the evening if a message comes in when I'm sleeping..
    Well I should have said "hear it from your bedroom" then, but I assumed you didnt live in a paper house - or do you leave all your doors opn - or have your handbag just outside the bedroom. You could turn text notification to vibrate you know

I got the impression that you couldn't even be on the phone in the queue... otherwise how are they going to know whether you will end your conversation or stop reading your text when you get to the top and are ready to be served?
    Because you hang-up when you are ready to be served of course. If not, you won't BE served. How could they stop people talking in the queue and why would they care about that? it won't affect them at all.

Its best to just wander off, they'll get the message. maybe.

Really? I would have thought the onus is on you to ask them to call back later if it isn't. After all, if you were busy - why did you even answer the phone? That would certainly be my assumption unless you told me otherwise.

Lynns staff aren't and hey, if you're lost I can tell you where to go
    So it helps if you pick up your phone and make a call at the same time ?

If a member of bar staff ignores me, I tend to say kind Sir may I take a moment of your time when your ready, I dont tend to text and wait

As I said before its really about manners and decency, now talk to the hand

Really? I would have thought the onus is on you to ask them to call back later if it isn't. After all, if you were busy - why did you even answer the phone? That would certainly be my assumption unless you told me otherwise.
    If it really doesn't suit to talk the onus is on me not to answer the phone and let them leave a message and then me call them back later.

But strange as it may seem I don't spend all my time sitting around doing nothing just in case someone calls me. Most people are doing something when the phone rings and they stop what they are doing to answer the phone. If you ring someone you are expecting them to stop whatever they are doing and listen to you - so its pretty simple manners to check that its Ok for them to do that at the start of the call.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

If it really doesn't suit to talk the onus is on me not to answer the phone and let them leave a message and then me call them back later.
    Exactly, thats what I meant.

But strange as it may seem I don't spend all my time sitting around doing nothing just in case someone calls me. Most people are doing something when the phone rings and they stop what they are doing to answer the phone. If you ring someone you are expecting them to stop whatever they are doing and listen to you - so its pretty simple manners to check that its Ok for them to do that at the start of the call.
    That all makes sense apart from that last bit. By answering the phone you signal that your are not so busy that you couldnt stop what you are doing to answer it - if they don't wat to or can't talk to you for long, they'll tell you. To call someone to ask them if its ok to call them seems a bit bizare to me - maybe its a Belfast thing

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

There I stood with cash in hand
    Love it!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

That all makes sense apart from that last bit. By answering the phone you signal that your are not so busy that you couldnt stop what you are doing to answer it - if they don't wat to or can't talk to you for long, they'll tell you. To call someone to ask them if its ok to call them seems a bit bizare to me - maybe its a Belfast thing
    Not to ask if its Ok to call! If it wasn't they wouldn't have answered the phone! (Though that is another time texts come in handy, you can text someone to ask if its OK to call.)

And its nothing to with Belfast. Its to do with how you use the phone. Especially with mobile phones making people accessible at almost all places and all times, phones can be intrusive. I'm simply talking about acknowledging that and having some respect for the other person's time. I really don't understand why that is seen as so bizarre.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I really don't understand why that is seen as so bizarre.
    Only because you're the first person I've ever heard of who expects it, but maybe I should ask others. Maybe it IS common and I'm blissfully unaware.

Weirdo

Only because you're the first person I've ever heard of who expects it, but maybe I should ask others. Maybe it IS common and I'm blissfully unaware.

Weirdo
    I didn't say I expected it, I don't. I am a little annoyed sometimes that some people never stop to think how intrusive a phone call can be, sometimes launching straight into something without even giving a chance to say 'actually I'm in the middle of something can I call you back later?'.

And if I am phoning a friend for a quick question or short call I don't say anything but if phoning for a chat I will usually say 'are you OK to talk at the moment?'. But I neither expect or demand it from others. I think its thoughtful when they do say it though.

Well I should have said "hear it from your bedroom" then, but I assumed you didnt live in a paper house - or do you leave all your doors opn - or have your handbag just outside the bedroom. You could turn text notification to vibrate you know
    I don't really think it's reasonable to expect someone to adjust their mobile phone settings every night on the odd chance that they may be texted at some ungodly hour. It makes more sense to me if people were more thoughtful of others and respected that there are times when people don't want to be bothered by texts (eg when they're asleep). If you want someone to read your text at their leisure, then maybe an email would be more reasonable - as it usually doesn't come with the obligatory beep when it's received (unless the computer is on all night - which most people I know of don't do).
    Otherwise DS do you go about needing to know where everyone you know puts their mobile phone when they sleep - so that you don't wake them @ 3am when you impulsively message them? or do you expect them to modify their phone settings each night just in case you message them and they don't want to be disturbed?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

But I neither expect or demand it from others. I think its thoughtful when they do say it though.
    You know, thats fair enough. Now whats your phone number so i can try it ?

It makes more sense to me if people were more thoughtful of others and respected that there are times when people don't want to be bothered by texts (eg when they're asleep).
    People judge this by their own criteria thought don't they, and my mobile is always far enough away that i wouldnt hear a beep plus my phone defaults to beep once - and i doubt that would wake me even if it was next to my head. I always thought texts were a good way to get something to someone when you think of it whenever that may be.

If you want someone to read your text at their leisure, then maybe an email would be more reasonable - as it usually doesn't come with the obligatory beep when it's received (unless the computer is on all night - which most people I know of don't do).
    See there you go - your criteria. My computer IS on all the time

Otherwise DS do you go about needing to know where everyone you know puts their mobile phone when they sleep - so that you don't wake them @ 3am when you impulsively message them? or do you expect them to modify their phone settings each night just in case you message them and they don't want to be disturbed?

Thats up to them isnt it, but Ill be asleep at 3am Please divulge your mobile number so i can send "2/3rds of people are not the other 1" at 3am - ill stay up specially.

Thread Information