Thread: Beaver: top in game

Beaver: top in game

I was strolling round the local farmer's market on Sunday, and I decided to try a few things I wouldn't normally buy/eat.

First up, I bought a lobster (ok we are about 180 miles from the coast and it is not strictly the kind of thing you would get on old McDonald's farm - but still....).

Then I went for some venison steaks, and finally some ostrich (from the local ostrich farm).

I was interested to see the breakdown of the foods - and so went to the Excel sheet of all foods which can be handily downloaded from the USDA food nutrition site. (Yes you can check exactly how much selenium is in those Rice Krispies if you want). I've used this for a number of years and it is quite interesting.

Anyway - I couldn't find Venison - I guess the closest would be Deer or Elk. And then I noticed that they do have Antelope, Squirrel, Racoon, Muskrat - and.......top for Protein in the Game section, at over 34g per 100g was Beaver.

I've never had cooked beaver before, but it could be good for those on an Atkins/high protein diet. (If you can get beaver in this country).

Below is an extract from the USDA Excel sheet (I haven't put all the columns in with fats/vitamins etc.......):

Attachment 9839
    Last edited by JiveLad; 1st-August-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Cool Re: Beaver: top in game

Hehehehehe you said beaver

An Eclectic Toaster

Re: Beaver: top in game

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Anyway - I couldn't find Venison - I guess the closest would be Deer or Elk.
    Deer would be a more than adequate substitute for venison, seeing as how venison is the term for, um, deer meat...

*the things you learn on Wikipedia - I now know a) where the term "humble pie" comes from and b) why it's almost impossible to get kosher venison in Britain...

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Hehehehehe you said beaver
    No Beaver Here « It’s All About Me
    reminded me of advert on telly in Oz at the moment... I have to admit I was shocked when I saw it... and it seems a few others were also offended by it from reading the article...
    sorry for the diversion....
    Now back to the main story....

Interestingly, last night I watched TV and switched on the 'Dave' channel to see one of my favourite programmes: Ray Mears bushcraft.

In this episode, he was in Yosemite (or near there) - and he met a 90 year old guy (a real old style character - very funny guy) who was a 'trapper'. They went together to seek out one of his traps which he had put in a river - and when they pulled it out - it was.........a beaver.

It then showed Jake (I think that was his name) skinning the beaver - he held up the fur for the camera, paused and said "Nice beaver".

Next up he made a hearty beaver stew which he ate with Ray around the campfire. It did look good quality meat after he had skinned it it and prepared it.

PS I do recommend ostrich (see previous post). Far superior to a really good fillet steak - much more tender. (It looks the same when you have cooked it).

Thread Information