View Poll Results: How long do your blades last?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Week (Hard water area)

6 27.27%
  • 2 Weeks (Hard Water Area)

1 4.55%
  • 3 Weeks (Hard Water Area)

2 9.09%
  • 4 Weeks (Hard Water Area)

4 18.18%
  • 1 Week (SoftWater Area)

3 13.64%
  • 2 Weeks (SoftWater Area)

0 0%
  • 3 Weeks (SoftWater Area)

1 4.55%
  • 4 Weeks (SoftWater Area)

2 9.09%
  • I use a cut throat and a strop

0 0%
  • I don't shave

3 13.64%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Razor / Shaving thread

Commercial Operator

Re: Razor / Shaving thread

I hate shaving, and only do so if I really have to. I have quite a sensitive skin type and am prone to rashes if I shave too often. I tend to have a shave in the steam room at the gym ( though if I get caught I'll be in trouble)...but it's a really clean shave and lasts a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Out of interest, what razor do you use?
    Standard Gilette with the three blades - get a multi-pack of about 20 from Macro/Cosco christmas and it does until the next year.

{ last of the big spenders me.}

There was a program on TV about a couple of guys that took stuff and designed them better ("Better by design" I think it was called...) one of the series was about a razor: Design Council: Better by Design
    The design they came up with vibrated the blade with ultrasonics and gave an amazing result. The new breed of bladed razors do this, but the blades are very expensive.

I have a cut-throat and strap, but after using it a couple of times decided that it was too blunt and I couldn't hone it sharp enough... I have a suspicion that the main reason you get a better shave with one of these is that you tend to take more time and care with a naked blade on your neck

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    The design they came up with vibrated the blade with ultrasonics and gave an amazing result. The new breed of bladed razors do this, but the blades are very expensive.
    you do realise you can use the same blades for the non vibrating ones and save a fortune!
    I think it's M3 TURBO razor I used to use but used the normal lubricated three blade heads which clip on just the same

EDIT

found some figures.. (BOOTS prices)

Gillette M3 Power Blades 8 Pack - £13.45
    £1.68 per 1 unit

Gillette Mach 3 Replacement Blades 8 Pack - £9.39
    £1.17 per 1 unit
    Last edited by Beowulf; 16th-July-2008 at 02:56 PM.

Commercial Operator

TBH... I've tried the 'vibrating' new breed razords, and found it made very little difference. I'm assuming this design council thing managed to improve on that - be interesting to see how it goes.

I have a cut-throat and strap, but after using it a couple of times decided that it was too blunt and I couldn't hone it sharp enough... I have a suspicion that the main reason you get a better shave with one of these is that you tend to take more time and care with a naked blade on your neck
    Straight razors take a lot of practice. Yes - they need to be sharp enough, but you also need to know how to use them - apart from the preparation process I've talked about, the angle you hold the blade at and the amount of pressure you use are crucial. Get it right, and it feels almost like you're wiping the beard off - I've only managed this a handful of times, but it's a great sensation. MUCH practice needed, and I'm not very good at it yet.

As for being more careful - well - after the first few times you've shaved with it and completely failed to cut off any vital parts of your face, it's amazing how quickly you get used to the great-big-razor-sharp-naked-blade-at-your-throat thing

Found this site..

Gentlemen's Tonic

I was actually looking for a link I saw in the Metro a while back.. some place in London was offering a 1/2 day cut throat razor shaving course! Am sure the site above was mentioned but perhaps not as the place doing the training.

Still it's an interesting site.

(I may treat my Best man and I to a cut throat razor shave on my wedding day )

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Found this site..

Gentlemen's Tonic

I was actually looking for a link I saw in the Metro a while back.. some place in London was offering a 1/2 day cut throat razor shaving course! Am sure the site above was mentioned but perhaps not as the place doing the training.

Still it's an interesting site.
    Was it this place? Geo Trumper

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    (I may treat my Best man and I to a cut throat razor shave on my wedding day )
    You mean at the place where they threatened to cut all your eyebrows off

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    ALL of them???

How many does he have?

ALL of them???

How many does he have?
    Well that is a direct quote... they asked him "all off?"

I'll let him explain

By coincidence I just came across a mention of this in Jan 2007 Reader's Digest. It says that men can get 11 uses "or until the 1st nick"; women who save weekly should change blades each month.

So do women shave 2.5 times as much hair as men? Any hairy women care to explain?

I've got one of those 5 bladed fusion razors. Down here, where the water is pretty hard I find that they still last a good 4-6 weeks. I had to change the blade on my old Mach 3 every week.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    women who save weekly should change blades each month.
    I'm sorry, but thinking of a joke about the above phrase made my brain hurt.

Post Office book, anyone?

I'll let him explain
    Beo you old Badger splain it to us, sharpish, (play on words there sport fans).

DTS XXX XXX

ALL of them???
    How many does he have?
    I'll let him explain
    Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Beo you old Badger splain it to us, sharpish, (play on words there sport fans).
    I aim to please.. there's a really nice traditional barber at the end of the road down here. He speaks very fractured English (I think he's Polish or something) anyway he cuts your hair while chatting to you in this strange combination of foreign accent but London phraseology. (he says "Innit" a lot for example!)

Anyway (I know now) it's a running joke of his to ask if you want your eye brows done.. and if you say "yes!" he then asks you "All off?"

First time he asked me I thought I'd misheard him.. but he asks me every time I get my hair cut there. He actually uses a disposable "cut throat" razor. (it's an open blade on a cut throat style handle, but the swing out blade part holds a slot in disposable blade ) to shave the back of your neck and round your ears instead of the more traditional electric trimmer.

He does do shaves too.. but as his sign reads "NO SHAVE SATURDAY" which is usually the only time I can go.

Registered User johnthehappyguy's Avatar

Very Interesting thread !

Shaving Cream - I currently use "Aqueous Cream" £3 for a massive tub from any Pharmacy counter. I have tried various other creams including King of shaves, but all gave me a rash, apart from "Aqueous cream".

First discovered it when my son was given it to use as soap for mild exzema.

Razor Style

I use a gillette Mach, and have the non-vibrating and vibrating type also.
    I find the vibrating type to give a closer shave.
    I tried out various styles of razor, and have stuck with the Gillette Mach, because of the way the blade is mounted.

Other types have a swivel/tilting head as well, but they are mounted in the middles, the blade moves like a see saw, top goes in, bottom tilts out. The mach 3 has the pivot at the base of the blade, and I feel it hugs the skin a lot better, and all the blades are in contact.

Blade Change Frequency.

When I shave every day I can get about three weeks from a blade.
    If I miss a day, then it really has a severe effect on the blade's life. It reduces blade life drastically.

I think the cleanliness of the blade has a lot to do with Blade life. If I do not clean scrupulously after every stroke, then the blade clogs, and gets blunt more quickly.

Unfortunately I find it difficult/ am too lazy to thoroughly clean after every stroke. ( perhaps it is harder to clean because of the cream I use but i have never been happy with blade cleanliness either with using other creams).

John

Registered User johnthehappyguy's Avatar

Cleaning Blades

I find my blade hard to clean and think it reduces the life of the blade.

I am currently experimenting with a syringe to squirt water at high pressure onto/between the blades.

Unfortunately I don't have a needle and so the pressure is not as high as i would like

Unfortunately, the syringe is too small, and needs several fills, large syringes are difficult to come by at reasonable cost.

How do you clean your Twin/ triple or more blade ?

Quote Originally Posted by johnthehappyguy View Post
    Cleaning Blades

How do you clean your Twin/ triple or more blade ?
    In a word (or two) "I don't" .. When they get "blunt" I throw them out and get a new one. I did read about using "rubbing alcohol" to clean the blades. Apparently according to the article it's the build up of minerals on the edge of the blade. It's not so much the blade going blunt as the blade being sheathed in a coating of limescale and other minerals.

Apparently if you dip your blade in rubbing alcohol (an american site.. I think the Brit term is Surgical spirits) it displaces the water droplets and their soluable minerals and then flashes off leaving the blade clean of any deposits.

That's the theory at least.. I've not tried it

I'm in a hard water area and my blades last at least 4 weeks........thats doing legs/underarms every other day.

I use the Wilkinson Quattro for lay-dees.........not the absolutely closest of shaves (single pass) but done in record time with no nicks and they also have a nice aloe vera strip top and bottom.

Oh....and they're pink

Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
    Oh....and they're pink
    Dats cos they for lay-dees

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    Dats cos they for lay-dees
    Quite

On closer inspection it appears I was wrong about the two aloe vera strips.
    The packet informs me that the top strip is aloe vera but the bottom strip is duo vitamine.........excellent!

One of the idle thoughts of this idle fellow was to make razor blades of layered materials. A very thing, hard cutting edge with a successive layers of softer materials on each side. This composite blade would be designed so that the natural wear of the blade whilst cutting would result in it keeping its cutting shape.

There are new very strong carbon nanotube materials which can be made into thin films, These would have a natural saw like ragged edge and would be ideal as the middle layer of such a blade.

If they can make the strands long enought they could act as a cutting wire too small to see which raises another possibilty for use in a razor.

(ÁÖ)¿¢»çÀÌ¿£¾¾ (There is an English version, top right, small print.)

Thread Information