View Poll Results: How long do your blades last?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Week (Hard water area)

6 27.27%
  • 2 Weeks (Hard Water Area)

1 4.55%
  • 3 Weeks (Hard Water Area)

2 9.09%
  • 4 Weeks (Hard Water Area)

4 18.18%
  • 1 Week (SoftWater Area)

3 13.64%
  • 2 Weeks (SoftWater Area)

0 0%
  • 3 Weeks (SoftWater Area)

1 4.55%
  • 4 Weeks (SoftWater Area)

2 9.09%
  • I use a cut throat and a strop

0 0%
  • I don't shave

3 13.64%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Razor / Shaving thread

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Razor / Shaving thread

to be honest i change blades when my wife complains and buys some - my razors used to last me a year, mainly because my skin is not even slightly sensitive and I never notice if its blunt. hack hack hack aah seems ok

I remember about 15 years ago reading an article about the idea of ceramic razor blades. The idea was that they would last for years - 100's of times longer than the steel blades.

Maybe one reason that they never came on to the market is that it would blow a hole in the profits of Gillette etc.

Personally, I would be very happy to buy/use such a ceramic blade.

A quick Google on this.......found this prototype (not sure if this is from the original article I read...).

2. Although it unfortunately has never made it to market, this Ross Lovegrove designed prototype is an eminently sound idea. It uses a ceramic blade, which at the time, was claimed to last 40 times longer carbon steel. It’s no pipe dream though - today you can buy ceramic razors for industrial use, that last 100 times longer. If only someone had the balls to make such a razor that didn't go blunt! ::MOMA exhibition on ceramics

Alternatively - try this.............

Quick addendum on the ceramic blade issue. Apparently the issue is that they would be too dangerous........

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Quick addendum on the ceramic blade issue. Apparently the issue is that they would be too dangerous........
    in what way ? more dangerous than a cut-throat razor ? or do you mean dangerous to profits ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    in what way ? more dangerous than a cut-throat razor ? or do you mean dangerous to profits ?
    See Kyocera Ceramic Knife F.A Q's

The peeler is great! How come you don't make a shaver?
    Too dangerous! A metal razor blade has a relatively "rounded" edge (under the microscope) which prevents the blade from cutting into the skin. A ceramic razor blade, however, does not have a rounded edge and slices into the skin. Thus, a ceramic shaver would be too dangerous to use. Several engineers in Sendai who tested prototypes can confirm this painful fact!

----------------------

I haven't tested one - but I am prepared to believe them......and - if it was going to be efficacious and profitable, perhaps someone in China would have put it on the market by now........

A metal razor blade has a relatively "rounded" edge (under the microscope) which prevents the blade from cutting into the skin. A ceramic razor blade, however, does not have a rounded edge and slices into the skin. Thus, a ceramic shaver would be too dangerous to use. Several engineers in Sendai who tested prototypes can confirm this painful fact!.
    it is possible to make the ceramic blade match the new metal blade geometry, for sharpness.
    The crucial point is that the ceramic will hold that sharpness or very close to it for a much longer time.
    To say anything else is simply an excuse to protect the profits of the established metal blade manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    it is possible to make the ceramic blade match the new metal blade geometry, for sharpness.
    The crucial point is that the ceramic will hold that sharpness or very close to it for a much longer time.
    To say anything else is simply an excuse to protect the profits of the established metal blade manufacturers.
    Well I would love to think that - and for many years that was my assumption. Now on revisiting I can't help but think that the danger issue must override it all. Maybe there are European safety laws on this.

Another passing thought is this: is it possible for airport detection equipment to identify ceramic knives? Does anyone know?

s it possible for airport detection equipment to identify ceramic knives? Does anyone know?
    probably but with more difficulty/diligence.

Ceramic hand guns fall into the same detectability category.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    On the subject of shaving (and not directly linked to the poll) I can highly recommend using a proper shaving brush and a decent quality cream. I used to use king of shaves face gel and slap it on with the old fingers. But now (thanks to Twirly) I use a proper shave cream (I believe this one comes from the body shop) and a shave brush to lather it up. the circular motion lifts the hairs and provides for a closer more comfortable shave.
    My blades only last around a week to a week and a half... but I gave up with cartridges quite a while back, and now use a double edge razor (DE) - specifically the wonderful Merkur Vision** - so blades are a whole lot cheaper. As a long-term goal, I'm teaching myself to use a straight razor, but the DE (once you're past the learning curve) is a wonderful way to shave. I was prone to a lot of ingrowing hairs etc when using the multiblade cartridges - whereas you can avoid that with a DE (or straight).

Shaving cream / brush? Vital for a nice comfortable shave (most of this canned foam / gel / whatever is just expensive rubbish) - and the Body Shop shaving cream is wonderful stuff. Even more important is softening up the beard - I usually soak it for at least a couple of minutes using piping hot flannels - shaving straight after a shower is probably the best way to achive this.

**As used by Adama sr in the new Battlestar Galactica, I was amused to find***

***Although he's too much of a wimp to actually put a blade in it****

****Even with no blade, he still manages to cut himself. Wuss.

See Kyocera Ceramic Knife F.A Q's

The peeler is great! How come you don't make a shaver?
    Too dangerous! A metal razor blade has a relatively "rounded" edge (under the microscope) which prevents the blade from cutting into the skin. A ceramic razor blade, however, does not have a rounded edge and slices into the skin. Thus, a ceramic shaver would be too dangerous to use. Several engineers in Sendai who tested prototypes can confirm this painful fact!

----------------------

I haven't tested one - but I am prepared to believe them......and - if it was going to be efficacious and profitable, perhaps someone in China would have put it on the market by now........
    also from their FAQ:

We then grind (on a diamond wheel) and polish the sintered blanks to form an edge and the final shape before attaching the handle.
    Hmmm.... they form the shape... Hmmm...

For some of us, one blade a day is never enough.
    http://www.twadzilla.com/fun/images/beard.jpg

I wet shave in the shower with my eyes closed, by touch: fingertips following the blade. If I feel the stubble left, then it gets another scrape. Advantage is that as I am feeling behind the blade I am pulling a little bit more shaving gel over that area. It also means I can feel the best direction to pull the razor for an optimal cut.

I used to shave every day, but my skin isn't very nice and prone to spotting out. I now shave three times a week and use a decent shaving gel; much better skin. I'm not a naturally hairy person, so you only really notice stubble if I miss shaving for three or four days. (I know of some folk who have a permanent 5o'clock shadow - seems to grow back in about an hour! )

I change the blade... oh must be once every month or so. The blunter it gets, the louder the rasp and the more passes it takes to smoothness.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I used to shave every day, but my skin isn't very nice and prone to spotting out.
    I change the blade... oh must be once every month or so. The blunter it gets, the louder the rasp and the more passes it takes to smoothness.
    Out of interest, what razor do you use?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Bah. Straight (cutthroat) razors aren't dangerous. Yes - you need to be careful with them, but dangerous? Naaaah.

Registered User Katie Kicks Ass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Bah. Straight (cutthroat) razors aren't dangerous. Yes - you need to be careful with them, but dangerous? Naaaah.
    have you not seen sweeney todd, that blade was relativly blunt and look how many people he killed.

My blades only last around a week to a week and a half... but I gave up with cartridges quite a while back, and now use a double edge razor (DE) - specifically the wonderful Merkur Vision** - so blades are a whole lot cheaper. As a long-term goal, I'm teaching myself to use a straight razor, but the DE (once you're past the learning curve) is a wonderful way to shave. I was prone to a lot of ingrowing hairs etc when using the multiblade cartridges - whereas you can avoid that with a DE (or straight).

Shaving cream / brush? Vital for a nice comfortable shave (most of this canned foam / gel / whatever is just expensive rubbish) - and the Body Shop shaving cream is wonderful stuff. Even more important is softening up the beard - I usually soak it for at least a couple of minutes using piping hot flannels - shaving straight after a shower is probably the best way to achive this.

**As used by Adama sr in the new Battlestar Galactica, I was amused to find***

***Although he's too much of a wimp to actually put a blade in it****

****Even with no blade, he still manages to cut himself. Wuss.
    Hi Straycat

Very interesting post. I had not considered there were any possibilities outside of Gillette etc - but of course, there are. I also noticed on that web site that one reviewer discussed the challenges of the Vision model (difficult to shave round his schnooza (I take it that means his nose) - and it seemed more likely to give him a cut. He mentioned the Futur model as an alternative that he would go for........

Did you consider this model - or other possibilities - and how easy did you find it to transfer from the other style to this.....eg. how careful did you have to be, how many shaves before you became comfortable with it?

Thanks.

I bought a cut throat razor and a book on how to shave off the net.

If i am in a hurry i use an ASDA cheap safety razor.

If i have time I use the cut throat.

Much better shave with cut throat.

DTS XXX XXX

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    If i have time I use the cut throat.

Much better shave with cut throat.

The one thing that I haven't been able to get to grips with is how to hone the thing, which is why I'm not using it at the moment.... Do you hone your own, or do you get it done for you?

The one thing that I haven't been able to get to grips with is how to hone the thing, which is why I'm not using it at the moment.... Do you hone your own, or do you get it done for you?
    I received a leather strop with it and instructions on how to hone it.

DTS XXX XXX

Commercial Operator

Very interesting post. I had not considered there were any possibilities outside of Gillette etc - but of course, there are. I also noticed on that web site that one reviewer discussed the challenges of the Vision model (difficult to shave round his schnooza (I take it that means his nose) - and it seemed more likely to give him a cut. He mentioned the Futur model as an alternative that he would go for........
    I don't know why people seem to have problems shaving under their noses with the Vision - to me, it seems perfectly designed for it. Although it did take me a short while to work out how, I must admit. Maybe it's the shape of my nose or something...

Did you consider this model - or other possibilities - and how easy did you find it to transfer from the other style to this.....eg. how careful did you have to be, how many shaves before you became comfortable with it?
    I started with a Gilette Fatboy (from eBay - they don't make 'em no more) - bit found it a bit light. Switched to the Vision - I have quite thick beard hairs, so a nice chunky razor seemed a good idea, and I loved it from the first.

There is something of a learning curve, yes. It helps to start on the mildest setting, and work up to what's comfortable, and even so, I cut myself a few times at the beginning, which I almost never do now. The main key to it is the preparation - softening up your beard with hot water, making a good shaving foam, applying it properly... get that right, and the shave becomes easy. And fun. The next part is how to shave to get the best shave possible - you need to work out which direction your beard grows in on the various parts of your face (everyone's different), and for a full shave, do one pass with the direction of growth, relather, another across it, relather, and do the last against it. I must admit though that I usually just do one pass.

One of the things I found about the modern multiblade cartridge razors is that if I use them, I'm much more prone to ingrowing hairs (and hence spots). I found quite a good explanation for this on one of the shaving sites - it's to do with the way they cut. A double-edge or a straight razor won't have the same problem.

OK. Information overload... I'll stop now.

Thread Information