View Poll Results: How long do your blades last?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Week (Hard water area)

6 27.27%
  • 2 Weeks (Hard Water Area)

1 4.55%
  • 3 Weeks (Hard Water Area)

2 9.09%
  • 4 Weeks (Hard Water Area)

4 18.18%
  • 1 Week (SoftWater Area)

3 13.64%
  • 2 Weeks (SoftWater Area)

0 0%
  • 3 Weeks (SoftWater Area)

1 4.55%
  • 4 Weeks (SoftWater Area)

2 9.09%
  • I use a cut throat and a strop

0 0%
  • I don't shave

3 13.64%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Razor / Shaving thread

Razor / Shaving thread

Just a quick survey to perhaps help me with a slight problem I've noticed since moving to London. In Aberdeen (Soft water area) I used to replace my razor blades on average every 3 to 4 weeks. I don't/can't shave every day (due to being a delicate flower with sensitive skin!) but since moving down to London (Hard water area) My blades don't seem to last so long. I'm wondering if they are furring up with Limescale which is blunting them prematurely.

On the subject of shaving (and not directly linked to the poll) I can highly recommend using a proper shaving brush and a decent quality cream. I used to use king of shaves face gel and slap it on with the old fingers. But now (thanks to Twirly) I use a proper shave cream (I believe this one comes from the body shop) and a shave brush to lather it up. the circular motion lifts the hairs and provides for a closer more comfortable shave. I like to apply a little shave oil below the lather to allow for a smooth glide.. and the menthol oil also cools and soothes my easily irritate chops!

So Gents (and ladies wot shave their legs) How long do your blades last, and what is your "Shave routine"

Re: Razor / Shaving thread

I could show you a picture montage but the handlebar tash looks silly. My blades are lucky to last one day though I shave very seldomly nowadays. And I get what I pay for.

Where's the 'since I am not an anal personality I couldn't tell you how long my blades last...when I run out I buy new ones' option?

By the way, shaving tip #1: stick a mirror up in the shower and shave there, just before getting out. Your facial hairs will be soaking wet and as easy to shave as they will ever be. John Lewis do a stick-on mirror which doesn't fog up. (At least, not until it's several years old.)

What do you mean you only shower once a week?

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    So Gents (and ladies wot shave their legs) How long do your blades last, and what is your "Shave routine"
    My blades last 3/4 weeks. I use Gillette Venus blades. Get in the shower every morning put Johnson's Silky Skin shower & shave cream nourishing with vitamin E on and begin shaving

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    By the way, shaving tip #1: stick a mirror up in the shower and shave there, just before getting out.
    I do.. I have a suction cup IKEA mirror that's pretty good but every couple of weeks I need to take it down and rub it with vinigar to dissolve the accumulated limescale deposits. If I "scratch" the mirror with my fingernail I can actually feel the sort of "mild sandpaper" effect on the surface of the glass.

I don't know if Twirly and I live in a Particularly severe limescale area? or is this normal for London?

if so much limescale builds up on the mirror (the bathroom gets thoroughly cleaned every weekend.. am usually on my knees scrubbing the bath and sink.. I'm Twirly's Cinderfella ) no wonder my blades don't last long. I get about 2 to 3 shaves IF I'M LUCKY out of one blade

...when I run out I buy new ones' option?
    Barry running on that knee!, got Doc's permission?
    John Lewis do a stick-on mirror which doesn't fog up.
    mirrors in underfloor heated showers/bathrooms do not mist up.

I don't/can't shave every day (due to being a delicate flower with sensitive skin!) but since moving down to London (Hard water area)
    Why not get an electric shaver. I've a big fan of the expensive Philips leccy shavers (don't bother with the silly ones with lotion in). My feeling is that whilst the cheaper leccy shavers aren't that good, my current one shaves almost as well as a wet shave, whilst being much much quicker!

(Trick for the closest dry shave - do it with dry skin, and leave it as late as possible in the morning before you leave the house).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Why not get an electric shaver.
    I tried one before.. one of those hideous foil cutter things! I used it one time and it looked like every pore on my chin was sweating blood!.. I have a red beard I did have an old philips when I was at Uni, it had two rotating blades not the foil cutter, it wasn't very expensive.. used to make my face glow !

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    I've a big fan of the expensive Philips leccy shavers (don't bother with the silly ones with lotion in).
    I assume you mean I'M and not I'VE as otherwise I'd have to ask you where you store him? There's my problem.. When I've used electric shavers I've used cheepies.. Perhaps I need to splash out on an expensive one.. except I'd be lothe to spend £70 or £80 on a razor and find I get "the return of red beard" again

By the way, shaving tip #1: stick a mirror up in the shower and shave there, just before getting out. Your facial hairs will be soaking wet and as easy to shave as they will ever be. John Lewis do a stick-on mirror which doesn't fog up. (At least, not until it's several years old.)
    I have a mirror like that, but it kept falling off the wall.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

When I've used electric shavers I've used cheepies.. Perhaps I need to splash out on an expensive one.. except I'd be lothe to spend £70 or £80 on a razor and find I get "the return of red beard" again
    Don't bother. I have the same problem. I asked for an electric years ago, for christmas. In order to get anything distantly approaching the sort of shave I get with a wet razor I had to scrub and hack at my skin so hard that it stung for hours. That was - ooh, 15 years ago and the cost at the time was £80. It wasn't top of the range but it wasn't far off. (The £200 'use it in the bath!!' electrics weren't on the market then.)

I use cheap Gillette disposables (Wilkinson when I can get them) - I find the shave is as good as the latest multi-blade 'look it's advertised on TV which might be why it's so expensive' razors and it's far cheaper. I started this when I realised I was paying like £6 for three blades for whatever whizz-bang thing was state of the art at the time, having paid £10 for the whizz bang thing itself. For about £5 I get 10 razors with two blades and a swivel head with a lubricating strip () which last me - oo, ages.

Razors are like Coke - they have to be marketed like buggery if people are going to use them. Did business with a guy in Norfolk who manufactured food-making machines. He was asked to design and build machines to put ketchup inside mashed potato oblongs - which were marketed as 'Ketchips' (geddit?) - so that you got your tomato sauce inside your oven chip. The initial marketing campaign was so successful that a second machine was ordered; however, by the time it was ready to deliver they didn't want it because once the TV adverts stopped the sales plummeted. Heaven forbid that men should realise that a razor is in fact no more exciting than a corkscrew, and about as subject to technological advancement...

Answer to your problem, Beo: get a water softener.

EDIT: Oo, oo: OR-R-R get one of those pyramid things and keep the razor aligned across the diagonal and it willmmm y s t e r i o u s l ymmsharpen itself!

Apparently after reading a shaving website.. (such beasts exist!) you should store your blade in rubbing alcohol (Surgical Spirit I believe it's sold as in the UK) after shaving which prolongs the blade. The blade going blunt is actually a build up of normal water minerals on the edge of the blade. the alcohol apparently dispels the water and flashes off leaving the blade "unfurred"

Mind you one of my old friends in Aberdeen (and this story may be apophrycal but it made me laugh when he told me)

( I paraphrase here )

Quote Originally Posted by Andy From Aberdeen
    When you go to a chemist to order some Surgical spirit and the chemist asks.. "What kind?" do not reply .. "um, I dunno.. what flavours do you have?"

I started off with electrics and settled on Phillishave as the best type. I changed to wet shaving when I joined the forces and on the whole have done so ever since. I change blades once a week in London. I too am a fan of decent quality shaving soap, Crabtree & Evelyn in my case, and a good natural bristle brush.

I have had a small battery operated Phillishave for years which I use when travelling, for situations when water is a problem.

I recently bought one of the bigger Phillips Cool Skin rechargeable razors, with the lotion. I use it in the shower and it does a reasonable job, but I need to invest in one of those mist-free mirrors. It is a bit quicker, and the lotion stops any irritation, but I still wet shave at least once a week or on special occasions. It's just closer.

I still have a dressing on my neck and the area underneath has been unshaven and itching like hell!

EDIT: Oo, oo: OR-R-R get one of those pyramid things and keep the razor aligned across the diagonal and it willm y s t e r i o u s l ysharpen itself!

According to Pratchett don't they take the blade back in time to a time when it was still sharp?

I forget what that book was called.. lots of pyramids in it.. it mentioned pyramids a lot.. and a lot of the action took place in a Pyramid.. drat if only I could remember it's name..

I do remember this one quote

"Nature abhors dimensional abnormalities and seals them neatly away so that they don't upset people. Nature in fact abhors a lot of things, including vacuums, ships called the "Marie Celeste", and the chuck keys for electric drills."

Looks like Nature abhors books about pointy geometric shapes too, as I just looked on my bookshelf and it's not there! I'm great fan of You Bastard the camel though - wish I'd known him at school, he could've done my maths homework!

What do you mean you only shower once a week?
    I shave in the shower with oil, have done for years and never use a mirror.

If I use a mirror I cut myself and as I use one of those 5 balde things with a minature sex toy built in I end up with 5 tiny cuts. I hate that!

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    I use one of those 5 balde things with a minature sex toy built in
    You use 5 baldies and a sex toy? Erm.. Dr Evil, Mini Me, Jean Luc Picard, The evil gunslinger from westworld and.. erm.. Professor Xavier (yes I know I technically counted one Twice)

So Where does the sex toy come in?

You use 5 baldies and a sex toy? Erm.. Dr Evil, Mini Me, Jean Luc Picard, The evil gunslinger from westworld and.. erm.. Professor Xavier (yes I know I technically counted one Twice)

So Where does the sex toy come in?
    hmmm i should not have shaved the checking time off that post

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    hmmm i should not have shaved the checking time off that post

Ba-da-boom -Tish!

Thank you .. . . . . . . . . . . . . I'll be here all week

Thread Information