Thread: West Coast Swing in Yorkshire...are there any classes/venues?

West Coast Swing in Yorkshire...are there any classes/venues?

Hi there, I was wondering whether anyone knew of any WCS classes going on in Yorkshire at the moment? I think I asked the same question about a year ago, but wondered whether the situation might have improved a year on. There seem to be loads of classes going on in Manchester, but nowt across the Pennines. Leading on from that, if anyone wanted to set up WCS classes in, say, Leeds, they'd be swamped with attendees. Just about everyone I meet at Yorkshire MJ classes moans about the lack of WCS classes in the area.

Re: West Coast Swing in Yorkshire...are there any classes/venues?

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    Just about everyone I meet at Yorkshire MJ classes moans about the lack of WCS classes in the area.
    Yorkshire folk moaning? Who'd have thought?

Seriously, I suggest two things

1 - Email Catriona Wiles - her addy should be at Home - and tell her the kind of interest up that way. I know she's always keen to go to new territories and Paul W is working fewer hours on the day job now so there's the possibility of them venturing further afield (as they have done for 8beat over the Pennines).

2 - Travel. WCS is still very much a minority interest next to MJ. You can't expect to find a sustainable class night on your doorstep. I do acknowledge the prohibitive costs to travelling nowadays though (and this has been partially responsible for my self-imposed exile from most dance events since Southport)

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    Just about everyone I meet at Yorkshire MJ classes moans about the lack of WCS classes in the area.
    Interesting comment. Are people complaining beacuse they want to do WCS or because they want more than a basic 'Ceroc model' MJ class ... big difference.

You were there at Peter & Amy's classes ... do you think that many people there really took on board what was being taught and understood just how far they would have to progress to get close to emulating them? I'm not trying to be nasty () but I do tend to hear a lot of people aspiring to do WCS when they haven't even been able to nail the basics of MJ.

I believe that Rachael McEnaney has just started teaching a course in York. check out her website for contact details.

Quote Originally Posted by DS87 View Post
    I believe that Rachael McEnaney has just started teaching a course in York. check out her website for contact details.
    That would be great for the people of York, as Rachel is probably the best female WCS dancer in the country currently.

would be great if WCS came to Essex/Suffolk...i.e. Chelmsford/Colchester/Ipswich A12 corridor. Anyone kmow of any plans?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Interesting comment. Are people complaining beacuse they want to do WCS or because they want more than a basic 'Ceroc model' MJ class ... big difference.

You were there at Peter & Amy's classes ... do you think that many people there really took on board what was being taught and understood just how far they would have to progress to get close to emulating them? I'm not trying to be nasty () but I do tend to hear a lot of people aspiring to do WCS when they haven't even been able to nail the basics of MJ.
    I think Peter & Amy's classes appealed to people who wanted to improve their MJ at a really fundamental level. Their advanced class was great because it contained moves which were difficult technically to perform well (at least I found them hard!) but were not obviously flashy. Basically stuff that needed good balance, T&C, which a lot of people don't have. The reward for listening to what they said (as I did) was a greater appreciation of the importance of T&C in dance, a bit similar (if I may be permitted the analogy) to learning about balance in martial arts as opposed to learning spinning crescent kicks or breaking bits of wood. The last two look great and make the trainee feel badass, but they won't do as much for your skills in the long run as working on your fundamental balance. I suppose a certain proportion of people who want WCS in Yorkshire don't want to push themselves out of their comfort zone with MJ and so think learning something entirely new will be a way to develop. I would guess some other more advanced (whatever that means) dancers just want a further challenge, or the chance to incorporate WCS into their MJ.

Well

I would love to see WCS in Yorkshire.

I have asked many people / Teachers to consider WCS in Yorkshire, but when it comes down to it nobody says yes.

Its going to take some more work, but it will come.

Chris U

Thread Information