Thread: "Tonight's class will start at ............"

"Tonight's class will start at ............"

Is it my imagination, or has there been a drift over the last few years from the official starting time of classes (usually 7.30) to realistically somewhere between 7.45 and even later, because not enough of us are there ready to start at the official time?

I know it's all very relaxed and easy-going to do this, and maybe it's part of the casual ("let's all chill out") approach, but it's a self-perpetuating problem, as no-one really expects the class to start at 7.30, so people don't bother coming along until later, and so it goes on.

Then the freestyle session between the beginner and intermediate classes gets squeezed into 2 or 3 dances, so those who reckon they're past the beginner stage, and/or just want to dance rather than attend a class, get fed up and don't come along until when they think they'll actually get a chance to dance freestyle, so the beginners don't really get a chance to dance with them, so everyone gets disappointed.

So this is a plea - and I know it will be difficult at first as there may not be many people there and ready, but let's start the classes at the official time - eventually the message will get across and everyone will get more out of the night (maybe!!).

Any views on this? (My head is now officially above the parapet, so I'm quite prepared for it to be blown away!! But it's my 600th post, so I might as well be mildly controversial for once.)

(And before anyone points it out, I'm not usually at the venue before 7.30!!!)

Re: "Tonight's class will start at ............"

Originally posted by John S
    Is it my imagination, or has there been a drift over the last few years from the official starting time of classes (usually 7.30) to realistically somewhere between 7.45 and even later, because not enough of us are there ready to start at the official time?

I know it's all very relaxed and easy-going to do this, and maybe it's part of the casual ("let's all chill out") approach, but it's a self-perpetuating problem, as no-one really expects the class to start at 7.30, so people don't bother coming along until later, and so it goes on.

Then the freestyle session between the beginner and intermediate classes gets squeezed into 2 or 3 dances, so those who reckon they're past the beginner stage, and/or just want to dance rather than attend a class, get fed up and don't come along until when they think they'll actually get a chance to dance freestyle, so the beginners don't really get a chance to dance with them, so everyone gets disappointed.

So this is a plea - and I know it will be difficult at first as there may not be many people there and ready, but let's start the classes at the official time - eventually the message will get across and everyone will get more out of the night (maybe!!).

Any views on this? (My head is now officially above the parapet, so I'm quite prepared for it to be blown away!! But it's my 600th post, so I might as well be mildly controversial for once.)

yeah...!!! What he said.............

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Unless of course, he's on duty
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Agree here - the teachers should start when they are supposed to.

But it's my 600th post, so I might as well be mildly controversial for once.)
    All spot on.

You'll have to work harder to be controversial on your 700th

Chris

Totally agree. Leasons should start on time otherwise what tends to happen is we loose freestyle time later. People will soon start coming earlier if they want to do the lesson.

Interesting thread.

This was something that we were very concious of when we started ceroc manchester.

Nothing used to wind me up more than getting to a venue at, what i thought was, the starting time only to sit there for, sometimes 20 minutes!!!!, waiting for the class.

It is hard for a teacher to start if there are not that many people there but i guess they have to.

I wonder if anyone doesnt mind this ! got to be someone

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    Originally posted by Paul F
    I wonder if anyone doesnt mind this ! got to be someone
    Yeah, I'll stick my neck out - it doesn't worry me too much, I would rather take part in a beginner's class with a few more people in than start bang on time. If the intermediate class then gets chopped off a bit to make sure the freestyle starts an hour before the end of the night, then so be it. I'd prefer the chopping of the inter class to the shortening of the freestyle, though

That could backfire though if someone has come for some intermediates bits and pieces.

At some non ceroc venues however the tendancy is to teach three intermediate moves rather than four. Do you think ceroc teachers perhaps push the time limit by cramming too much in?

Originally posted by Jon L
    That could backfire though if someone has come for some intermediates bits and pieces.

At some non ceroc venues however the tendancy is to teach three intermediate moves rather than four. Do you think ceroc teachers perhaps push the time limit by cramming too much in?

Hmmm, interesting question.

I think, in an ideal world, I would prefer an inter class that had two 'standard' intermediate moves and one intermediate/advnaced 'leadable' move.
    This would be opposed to 4 standard intermediate moves.

I would imagine its down to whether the teacher wants to spend time pointing out style tips, common problems etc.

Originally posted by Jon L

I think I would have to agree to the latter point. While I was with Ceroc I followed the 4 move policy ... and tried to follow it through when I started teaching at Blitz ... however, the standard approach at Blitz is usually (but not always) to teach 3 moves. On balance I prefer to teach 3 moves ..... because at intermediate level a single move is often a combination of three separate moves. I find that the 3 move approach gives me a lot more flexibility. Also, if time is pressing, I'm not afraid to forget going through the "lets go through the routine twice through" because at intermediate level I think thats less important.

I'm NOT saying that “4 moves BAD, 3 moves GOOD” ... but I feel that its nice to have the option.

I don't think that it's set in stone: I have been to several classes that only three moves were taught - whether that was running out of time, or complex moves I don't know.

Actually, thinking on it the majority of 3 move classes have been at monthly "party" nights.

My preference for {intermediate} classes is one or two on the "easy" end, one (or two) towards the "difficult" end and one that contains elements of "advanced".
    If the "advanced" is dropped, then I like three "difficult".
    I think that this is the formula that I've witnessed from Ceroc over the years (or perhaps it's just Lorna/Lisa/Franck's twist?)

Classing starting on time

I seem to have notice in the last few years beginners classes starting later and later. Its not unusual for a class to start now at 8.20pm (session 8-11.00)

Has anyone else notice this ?

I know one or two classes made efforts to start at cira 8pm but usually go back to 8.15/8.20pm after a few weeks

Re: Classing starting on time

Originally posted by stewart38
    I seem to have notice in the last few years beginners classes starting later and later. Its not unusual for a class to start now at 8.20pm (session 8-11.00)

Has anyone else notice this ?

I know one or two classes made efforts to start at cira 8pm but usually go back to 8.15/8.20pm after a few weeks

In this case I think you should have a word with the organiser and explain that it annoys you. At the end of the day you are paying customer (unless of course you are a taxi), and anyone taking your money should listen to your concerns.

Sorry didn't know this thread had already started

If people get use to classes starting at 8.15 they will turn up then

Shouldn't have to only have 3 intermediate moves if classes started on time

I use to remeber classes starting bang on 8pm with people arriving at 7.45pm,now seems you arrive 8pm for 8.15pm

Just a observation

The Forum Legend
    When I was teaching regularly, it was like this on my first night when I took over an established class.

So, I announced (with the agreement of the organiser) that in future, the classes would be starting at the advertised time. And the next week, some people turned up at 8pm and some didn't - so I started at 8pm anyhow. But by the second week, we had a full class at 8pm.

As you say, if the class doesn't start until 8:15, then people won't turn up until 8:15. And you then lose freestyle time In Aberdeen, Lisa and Lorna both do try to (and usually manage to) start at 7:30. Usually with about 1/3rd of the people that are there by the end of the class. But I guess that it works that way

Steve

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar
    Originally posted by Paul F
    I think, in an ideal world, I would prefer an inter class that had two 'standard' intermediate moves and one intermediate/advnaced 'leadable' move.
    This would be opposed to 4 standard intermediate moves.

I would imagine its down to whether the teacher wants to spend time pointing out style tips, common problems etc.

I agree, although in that senario I wouldn't know wheter to do the moves as a man or a women. (I tend to do the mens moves when I do the lessons)

Just feel the music and dance the night away

Planet Wacko (a now motorised world of my own):)

OK i agree classes should start on time, but surely if anyone is going to be late it is the few beginners who are still not sure wether they want to come or not, or am i ust rambling

Of all the people who loose out, surely it is the beginners, who if they dont start at the beginning of the class, they will find it more difficult to join in the class half way through.

so I say that if need be hang on a bit for the beginners and start the class late, and if need be reduce the intermediate class by a move rather than reduce the freestyle.

But if possible yes start on time

Planet Wacko (a now motorised world of my own):)
    Originally posted by Tazmanian Devil
    I agree, although in that senario I wouldn't know wheter to do the moves as a man or a women.
    Aaaargh is this the same person that I made certain suggestions to on another thread

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar
    Originally posted by thewacko
    Aaaargh is this the same person that I made certain suggestions to on another thread
    Yes hunny thought you liked the fact that I am a woman as well as a man!!

Just feel the music and dance the night away

Thread Information