Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pontins & Weekenders - Still Hope?

Re: Pontins & Weekenders - Still Hope?

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Exactly. If there's no more Southport, Jive Addiction I'm sure will find a suitable, maybe even better, alternative. Lets face it...it couldn't get much worse.
    That’s part of the fun isn’t it ?

Going into a budget room, finding under the sink a used condom left by the previously occupant and rinsing it threw and using it again?

How do you moan about fluffy pillows?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Going into a budget room, finding under the sink a used condom left by the previously occupant and rinsing it threw and using it again?
    Yeah, sorry about that, still at least it's nice to know you made use of it.

Into, you mean?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Exactly. If there's no more Southport, Jive Addiction I'm sure will find a suitable, maybe even better, alternative.
    Well, yeah, but the point I'm making is, why be "scared" about the fate of one weekender anyway? I mean, there about 52 of them on each year already, it's not like 2002 or anything.

But yes, change is often good, and I'm sure there are loads of other venues who will happily take £250K of business, several times a year, if asked.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Why should we be scared?

My life doesn't revolve around spending a couple of days in a mouldy old chalet in the back of beyond every now and again.
    Well, yeah, but the point I'm making is, why be "scared" about the fate of one weekender anyway? I mean, there about 52 of them on each year already, it's not like 2002 or anything.

Hypothetically of course if we were talking about Southport it could be 3 weekenders

I’m sorry if it’s sad that some of us have kind of got use to it being around over the years, heaven forbid even look forward to it

Yes life would go on there would be other weekenders/venues but like an old woolly sock it would be sad to see it go

Given most of your reviews about Southport are given when your not there, im sure you wouldn’t miss it so much, hypothetically of course

Blog Entries

I’m sorry if it’s sad that some of us have kind of got use to it being around over the years, heaven forbid even look forward to it
    That's not sad. There's nothing wrong with looking forward to things, even I do that on occasion.

But working yourself up into a tizz and being scared about a rumour of a possible change, based on a change in the owning business; that's sad.

And creating 200 different threads about every single minute of every single day of each event, is, to my mind, verging on the sad. Although I suspect I may be in a minority with that opinion.

And creating 200 different threads about every single minute of every single day of each event, is, to my mind, verging on the sad. Although I suspect I may be in a minority with that opinion.
    If you can find 200 threads I'd suggest you wouldn't be

Ok everyone stop having a pop at David Bailey....THATS MY JOB..

Love you DJ, you will always be DJ to me, my lovely little munchking.

DTS XXX XX

But yes, change is often good, and I'm sure there are loads of other venues who will happily take £250K of business, several times a year, if asked.
    Yup ... but as someone who has spent far too many wasted weekends trying to find venues with large enough dancefloors .... I assure you that venues that can take 1000+ MJers are very few and far between ... ok, to be more precise ... affordable venues.

I'm not sure that there are any venues outside the Pontins/Butlins concept that could work. Like many others, I'm hoping that the money that the new owners make on the dance weekenders are enough to persuade them to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Yup ... but as someone who has spent far too many wasted weekends trying to find venues with large enough dancefloors .... I assure you that venues that can take 1000+ MJers are very few and far between ... ok, to be more precise ... affordable venues.

I'm not sure that there are any venues outside the Pontins/Butlins concept that could work. Like many others, I'm hoping that the money that the new owners make on the dance weekenders are enough to persuade them to continue.
    It is very hard to find the dance floor capacity, and the accomadation.

So Gus, are there dance floors that can take 1500 + MJ people, apart from Pontins or Butlins? - If money was not the issue?

The only thing I could think of is things like Exibition centres, with huge areas - but would that be a dance floor?

What other places would take 1500+ dancers?

No local hotels I know of.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure that there are any venues outside the Pontins/Butlins concept that could work.
    Maybe not.

In which case, we'll have to live with either pricier venues or smaller ones. Neither of which would be the end of the world. I suspect most people don't interact with 1,500 dancers over the weekend, somehow...

Like many others, I'm hoping that the money that the new owners make on the dance weekenders are enough to persuade them to continue.
    Mmmm.

If I were a hard-headed business person, I'd take a serious look at the revenue gaps from an MJ weekend (no games played, few facilities used (pool, track, etc.), few alcoholic drinks bought, possibly less food bought), and I'd wonder whether they were competitive compared to other possibilities.

Commercial Operator

Into, you mean?
    Oohh...that's an insult....insinuating that Stewart is a pillow biter......Mods! take this outside.....

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Oohh...that's an insult....insinuating that Stewart is a pillow biter......Mods! take this outside.....
    And not execute double standards?!?!?!?!?

I, personally, feel the most interesting contribution so far is the one that hasn't come from John or Wes... Is this a situation where no news is good news?

The Forum Legend

If I were a hard-headed business person, I'd take a serious look at the revenue gaps from an MJ weekend (no games played, few facilities used (pool, track, etc.), few alcoholic drinks bought, possibly less food bought), and I'd wonder whether they were competitive compared to other possibilities.
    Well, you'd have to think that few facilities used, would be good, as they wouldn't have to pay staff to man them....

It's true that we buy less drinks than the normal punters who go to Pontins weekenders (least, I imagine, since I've never been on one except for dancing). On the other hand, how full are Pontins going to get these weekenders at the time of year that we book them - out of the school holidays, and mostly at the cold and wet times of the year (apart from Southports).

I guess that possibly the main consideration for Pontins is whether or not they can get in another 'speciality' weekend event that would attract more paying and drinking customers than a dance weekend would. And if they can, surely they'd have done that by now.

So, here's fingers crossed....

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Well, you'd have to think that few facilities used, would be good, as they wouldn't have to pay staff to man them....
    The pool was free.

(I went twice).

Blog Entries

Not the games - I bet that family vacationers spend masses (or the kids do - pester power) on games. I'd also guess that most of the other activities are profit-making, or could be. Basically, if stuff's not being used, it's not making money, but it's still costing money to maintain.

On the other hand, how full are Pontins going to get these weekenders at the time of year that we book them - out of the school holidays, and mostly at the cold and wet times of the year (apart from Southports).
    Not my problem

My point is, any business review would consider these factors, that's all.

Commercial Operator

Given that most weekenders are run are off season, a lot of the time Pontins depend on people coming on special voucher offers at these times, and a lot of the people who go to Pontins on such offers probably don't have a lot of money to spend on eating in the Queen Vic every day, and kids spending loads on games etc. I would reckon that they probably make more out of an organisation taking over the whole site for a weekend, than they would out of the cut price holiday brigade TBH. I would think that the lack of info coming forward is more due to the time it's taking for the new owners to do a business review. It won't do them any favours leaving people hanging on too long, as they risk losing potential guaranteed custom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Given that most weekenders are run are off season, a lot of the time Pontins depend on people coming on special voucher offers at these times, and a lot of the people who go to Pontins on such offers probably don't have a lot of money to spend on eating in the Queen Vic every day, and kids spending loads on games etc. I would reckon that they probably make more out of an organisation taking over the whole site for a weekend, than they would out of the cut price holiday brigade TBH. I would think that the lack of info coming forward is more due to the time it's taking for the new owners to do a business review. It won't do them any favours leaving people hanging on too long, as they risk losing potential guaranteed custom.
    Didnt someone say a 70s weekender , the bar takings would be 10 times higher then a dance weekender ?

Im sure their number crunching

I have no idea if a dance weekender could be replaced with a 'bikers weekender' or a 'I failed at AA weekender', easily or what the average spend is for different types of weekenders. I would assume it wouldn't be massive and lets face for a bikers weekender your going to need more security

However if they want me to put lime in my soda water im up for that I always shop on site and gamble wrecklessly in the arcades so I do my bit

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Didnt someone say a 70s weekender , the bar takings would be 10 times higher then a dance weekender ?
    I wonder if the fitness weekenders held at Pontins, have even less bar takings?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I wonder if the fitness weekenders held at Pontins, have even less bar takings?
    Well not really i would think quite high. As by the sounds of it, they are always vomiting so would have to keep replacing the booze....

I do my bit on a weekender.. I take my own food and booze then drink the fountain water when im dancing... perfect weekend as far as im concerned..... mind you thats when im not drinking..... Snow white is always pushing whisky down my neck and wine.... mind you so is Rosie... honestly the things i have to put up with.

I suppose Pontins like us sensible dancers who leave the chalets in tact and don't smash the place up.

I've been to plenty of Soul Weekenders at Pontins and leaving on Monday morning, you would think the camp had been involved in some form of civil war! We might not spend much at the bar, but we don't wreck the place either...it's all relative.

Thread Information