Thread: Spinning

Spinning

I have been Ceroc dancing for about a year and a half. I would love to get some tips on how to produce a double spin. I can manage one and a half spins but it seems to be the last half/quarter turn that I struggle to get myself round. I have to change my foot to get myself round which is fine for slower songs but for a fast song, can prove tricky. I can manage to do three returns in a row, it just seems to be when I am on my own that I can't spin. Knowing me it is probably lack of confidence. Is there a good technique or is it all about how much tension you give your partner?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Spinning

It is a combination of lots of things but mainly practise.

I wont go in to loads of detail on how I do it because some bright spark who can't spin at all will tell you I'm giving out the wrong info.

Jamie is amazin' at his spins. Best thing to do is grab someone who can multiple spin at a weekender and ask for tips as they are very hard to explain over the net.

A few vids that might help

Practice. In NZ, at the start of every class, the teacher does a warm-up, which includes a short spinning drill. As a consequence, everyone - male and female - can easily do an unassisted spin within a couple of months. Within six months, most people can do a double unassisted spin. The naturals are able to do triples or better. The point is, it's not magic - it's a little bit of good technique and a lot of practice.

Work out a short drill, and do it every day. Every day. Don't miss it. A normal drill is step back on your left foot, step forward on to your left and spin on your left (the right is held right next to it, a few millimeters off the floor). Arrest the spin by putting your right foot down, then step back on your left. Step forward again and repeat. Do that about four times and on the last iteration, do as many spins as you can. Then repeat on your right foot.

In the drill, make sure your technique is good. I'm not a real expert on spinning, but the gist of it is to maintain your balance. Spin centred on one foot; don't travel. If you travel, you'll both slow yourself down and use up all your energy. Keeping your feet close together helps a lot.

Use your arms well. Arms out slow your spin down. Arms in speed it up. Drawing your arms in as you speed up accelerate your spin. It's a neat trick. However you spin, use your arms to give you momentum in to the spin, then hold them to steady the spin. If your arms are all over the place, it upsets your balance and, again, wastes energy.

Thanks for your tips. Will try your tips and hopefully I will feel more secure spinning on my own!

to Geoff332 here.

The only thing's I'll add is to keep your back and head upright, and not to try powering through the spin by flinging yourself into it or pushing hard with your spare foot. In the former case you're seriously undermining your balance if you don't, and in the later you'll cause yourself to travel and tip during the rotation if you do.

Regarding the "spare" foot, as Geoff said it's much easier to spin if your feet are together. I recomend keeping your spare foot very close to the ground, or even touching very lightly without supporting any of your weight. From this position you can just shift your weight slightly to break from the spin, and can do it more smoothly and with more control than if you've had to put it down from a high place to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodface
    I wont go in to loads of detail on how I do it because some bright spark who can't spin at all will tell you I'm giving out the wrong info.
    Why would anyone do that when they could just link to http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/l...-spotting.html ?

Lee was formerly known as Woodface for the uninitiated

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post

Why would anyone do that when they could just link to http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/l...-spotting.html ?

Lee was formerly known as Woodface for the uninitiated

A classic thread. I still stick by my origional points made and I teach people to do multipule spins without spotting (or just to spot on the last spin).

I've recently started doing Double Spins and what I found really helpful is (don't laugh) to clench your bum cheeks as you do the spin.

Yes.

Really.

I got the tip from a Pilates teacher who says that it helps lower your centre of gravity. However it works, it seems to improve balance so it may be worth a try. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    I've recently started doing Double Spins and what I found really helpful is (don't laugh) to clench your bum cheeks as you do the spin.

I got the tip from a Pilates teacher who says that it helps lower your centre of gravity. However it works, it seems to improve balance so it may be worth a try. Good luck.
    I'm boggled at the centre of gravity comment (i.e. I think it's complete nonsense, although something may have been lost in translation).

I'd guess what's more important is that it's helping your frame rigid instead of floppy (particularly the 'free' leg).

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    I'm boggled at the centre of gravity comment (i.e. I think it's complete nonsense, although something may have been lost in translation).

I'd guess what's more important is that it's helping your frame rigid instead of floppy (particularly the 'free' leg).
    Aye, as I say, I don't know much about physiology (I may have misinterpreted what the teacher said) but it seems to work OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    Aye, as I say, I don't know much about physiology
    Nor do I. I *do* know a fair bit about the center of gravity, however... On it's own, squeezing your glutes is probably going to make less than 0.1% difference to your CofG, and (at least when I do it), it's going to raise your CofG rather than lower it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Nor do I. I *do* know a fair bit about the center of gravity, however... On it's own, squeezing your glutes is probably going to make less than 0.1% difference to your CofG, and (at least when I do it), it's going to raise your CofG rather than lower it.
    Maybe I have strange buttocks

Another spinning drill mentioned at the WCS workshop Myles and Tessa recently took in Windsor:

Anticlockwise spin left foot supporting
    Clockwise spin right foot supporting
    Clockwise spin left foot supporting
    Anticlockwise spin right foot supporting

The first two will feel easier

Once you're comfortable with those, you can move onto changing the position of the free leg - ronde, slightly in front etc.

Thread Information