Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook Friend or Foe?

Facebook Friend or Foe?

I heard that an organiser who made friends with a dancer on Face book, abused that friendship to promote their dance organisation to that dancers face book friends.. I call this unacceptable practice.

It Sounds like desperation to me. Or is it good marketing?

Has this ever happened to you?

Re: Facebook Friend or Foe?

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    I heard that an organiser who made friends with a dancer on Face book, abused that friendship to promote their dance organisation to that dancers face book friends.. I call this unacceptable practice.

It Sounds like desperation to me. Or is it good marketing?

Has this ever happened to you?
    lol. It happens all the time. I don't count how many times I've had 'friends' request from promoters that I don't know. I can only assume this is through friends' lists. You need to accept that facebook is a networking thing, and is used a lot for promotion, which has good and bad consequences (i.e. sometimes it is actually useful to know of new events being organised). I tend to put anybody I don't actually know on limited profile, and publish very little personal things anyway.

I tend to delete and ignore everything on Facebook, not because I am rude, I know I am , I just cant be arsed to do all the crap thats going on on it.

DTS XXX XXX

Good marketing. I have a few friends that do it.

Shame time is so slow...roll on...roll on...

Stevie baby how is you my handsome little sausage??

DTS XXX XXX

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Sounds like the organiser wasn't really a "friend" or even an acquaintance, and its the dancer who is at fault for adding everyone willy-nilly just to make themselves feel more popular Black ball the dancer, thats what i say

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Stevie baby how is you my handsome little sausage??

DTS XXX XXX
    Less of the little!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Sounds like the organiser wasn't really a "friend" or even an acquaintance, and its the dancer who is at fault for adding everyone willy-nilly just to make themselves feel more popular Black ball the dancer, thats what i say
    Sadly he is an aquaintance/organiser who abused her trust to direct market her face book friends..needless to say he has now been removed...who needs friends like that.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Sadly he is an aquaintance/organiser who abused her trust to direct market her face book friends..needless to say he has now been removed...who needs friends like that.
    aah i see what you're saying - feel free to add me to facebook, i never abuse a trust

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Good marketing. I have a few friends that do it.
    Why would you want to admit to having friends like that?

It is nothing to boast about

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    You need to accept that facebook is a networking thing, and is used a lot for promotion, which has good and bad consequences (i.e. sometimes it is actually useful to know of new events being organised).
    I get to hear about loads of stuff I'd never usually get to hear about if people had to solely rely on me being somewhere to pick up a leaflet or having my email address.

Basically, its free advertising, so why wouldn't organisers try to utilize it

Personally, I think its good marketing.

If people don't like it, then they can easily remove that person from their friends list.

Also, it takes a nano second to skim through and delete stuff.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Ah, the Facebook question....
    Is it for social networking or a business tool?

As an organiser of 'social events' does that give me the right to 'invite' my friends to hand over cash to attend my events or should I market my business without using my 'friends'?

I can see at least 2 sides to this arguement:
    1. No, you shouldn't use/pressure real friends to attend your events.
    2. If you don't let groups of friends know about your events they can't chat about it with friends and decide whether they want to go or not.

If we decide on No.2 then I'm still uncomfortable with the use of a 'friends networking' social site when we all have 'business tools' like e-mail lists, business web sites, flyers etc...

Is there a way to use your (real) friends to promote dance events on Facebook? I don't mean this to sound flipant but I am really confussed by this question at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Dave View Post
    Ah, the Facebook question....
    Is it for social networking or a business tool?...
    Its what you make it.

As an organiser of 'social events' does that give me the right to 'invite' my friends to hand over cash to attend my events or should I market my business without using my 'friends'?
    Would your "friends" be better off if they came? If what you are selling is worth more that the price, then you are doing them a favour by letting them in on a good thing. The fact that you have customers indicates that it is. You should know your "friends" sufficiently well not to be inviting people the wrong people, e.g. invalids, ex's of your staff etc

I can see at least 2 sides to this arguement:
    1. No, you shouldn't use/pressure real friends to attend your events.
    2. If you don't let groups of friends know about your events they can't chat about it with friends and decide whether they want to go or not.
    Letting people know about an opportunity is not, of itself, pressure.

.... Is there a way to use your (real) friends to promote dance events on Facebook? I don't mean this to sound flipant but I am really confussed by this question at the moment.
    Suggest to customers to let any of their friends that might enjoy one of your events to spread the word. I believe in my customers being my sales force.

I believe that businesses should bother people that really do not want to know as little as possible whilst spreading the good news.

I prefer the marketing to be done via "groups". So I join the ASEDA group, and thus I get invited to ASEDA events. If I don't want those invites, I leave that group.

I dislike having Mr. Westie Coast (or whatever) wanting to be my friend. Get a real name, or get lost.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I prefer the marketing to be done via "groups". So I join the ASEDA group, and thus I get invited to ASEDA events. If I don't want those invites, I leave that group.
    Love dance, will travel

If you are a dance event organiser set up a group, invite friends to join that group, then send event invitations to everyone in that group.

I have several friends who run dance events and I'm quite happy to get event invites - I can ignore or say not attending if I want. I recently heard of an event in Dublin via a FB event invite - in the end I couldn't go, but def would have in different circs and would not have heard of this event in any other way.

I dislike having Mr. Westie Coast (or whatever) wanting to be my friend. Get a real name, or get lost.
    Yep, if someone is not on as their real name, but as their 'organisation' then it feels like you are being marketed to as soon as you get a friend request (though I guess its clear at least from their name that they aren't using FB as social networking but as an advertising tool instead).

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I prefer the marketing to be done via "groups".
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    If you are a dance event organiser set up a group, invite friends to join that group, then send event invitations to everyone in that group.
    Quite right, everyone has the ability to add events and let people know about them - or create groups and invite people to join them, i've joined several.

Yep, if someone is not on as their real name, but as their 'organisation' then it feels like you are being marketed to as soon as you get a friend request (though I guess its clear at least from their name that they aren't using FB as social networking but as an advertising tool instead).
    I've only just come across that - "Ceroc Northwest (Manchester)" tried to add me as a friend. I ignored it, blocked them and reported them for abuse to facebook. It's totally against the facebook rules. With facebook as popular as it is, i can see more and more trying this scam to get free advertising. When events and groups already exist i don't know why someone would try to break the rules

To quote the facebook rules:

"you agree not to use the Service or the Site to:"

..."register for more than one User account, register for a User account on behalf of an individual other than yourself, or register for a User account on behalf of any group or entity;"

I'd advise everyone to report this abuse and get these "people" banned from facebook.

I prefer the marketing to be done via "groups".
    Yes I agree.. Targeting friends of friends on networking sites via the back door is unacceptable....This is not a practice I subscribe to...

The best way to get new dancers is by recomendation from the dancers themselves - So if organiser runs a good and professional club that dancers enjoy going to there should be no need for any dubious practices.

We advertise on "UK jive" and " Are you dancing" as do many of the dance clubs...

Modern Jive dance classes and events in the UK

and a new one I have found..

Are You Dancing? Find Jive, Swing, Latin, Ballroom and Folk dance events across the UK

I've never really been bothered about 'facebook' and these sites, and I get several requests allegedly from people, I assume that are on my mailing list that I haven't been in contact with for years!

When I got a request recently to join - from myself! I decided it is all more spam and now just delete everything which mentions 'facebook', or anything that sounds similar

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Yep, if someone is not on as their real name, but as their 'organisation' then it feels like you are being marketed to as soon as you get a friend request
    And in cases like this, I would definitely ignore their request.

Much the same as do with people I don't personally know, although weirdly, I have accepted friendships from people I only know through the forum.

On the same note, I've embarrassingly refused people I 'do' know personally, simple cos I didn't know their real name!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information