Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price of water at Daventry freestyle

Angry Price of water at Daventry freestyle

As you may or may not know there are problems with the water supply in this part of the world at the moment. One of the places affected is Daventry and this almost certainly means that there will be no tap water available at the free style this Saturday (at the moment the water supply to Daventry is cut off and it is very unlikely to be restored by Saturday).

When speaking to the bar staff at the venue last night I was informed that the only water available is likely to be 500ml bottles of mineral water for which, according to the bar staff, they want to charge £1 each. I roughly calculated that I would need to buy at least 8 of those for 7 hours of mid summer freestyle so that would cost me £8 instead of the £1-50 I would normally pay for the same amount of tap water at the venue.

Alarmed at the situation I immediately alerted Emma P. and have since e-mailed both her and David Bradley of Ceroc Central about the situation. In essence charging £1 for a 500ml bottle of mineral water which I can buy at the supermarket for 25p is simply not acceptable to me in the present circumstances when no other choice (tap water) is available. I suspect that unless the price can be reduced to 50p or less there will be a lot of pretty angry customers on the night who will feel, rightly or wrongly, that they are being exploited and ripped off. Some of these may never come to a Daventry free-style again and Ceroc will potentially lose a lot of good will.

I know that the price of drinks at the venue is not set by Ceroc but they must carry some clout and it will be the reputation of Ceroc that suffers if something is not done. That is why I have asked Ceroc Central to please intervene in what is a quite exceptional situation - the non availability of tap water is certainly not something you expect to happen.

If you have already bought tickets and are coming to this event then please be aware of the situation. It might also be helpful to e-mail Ceroc Central expressing concern about the apparent situation regarding the price of water in the hope that something can be done. Emma did say that she would raise the issue with the venue management but a few e-mails from alarmed and potentially angrieved customers might help the case.

Re: Price of water at Daventry freestyle

Bring your own water? If they're normally happy to provide tap water, it shouldn't be an issue.

Take some powdered water, ie just add water...instant water.

Cant beat it.

Seriousley take a big bottle in your dance bag.

DTS XXX XXX

Take your own £1.28 in Tesco for a pack of 6,but remember to recycle the bottles and plastic wrap when you are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Bring your own water? If they're normally happy to provide tap water, it shouldn't be an issue.
    I've been told that you should will not be allowed to bring in your own. One of the Ceroc membership rules states that no drinks of any kind can be brought into any venue. If nothing is done about the issue I suspect a lot of people will bring their own water whatever the rules might say. However I would prefer not to break rules and a potential altercation with venue staff trying to confiscate bottles of water is hardly going to enhance the evening.

Of course one way to solve the current problem is to relax the no drinks to be brought in rule just for this event in view of the exceptional circumstances. A lot of bottled water would still be sold because people would not bring in enough themselves or forget about it altogether, Ceroc and the venue managers would get a pat on the back and some good will from their customers and bar takings would probably be unaffected overall because more alcoholic and soft drinks would actually be purchased ("Isn't it good that were can bring in our own water this time, I think I'll have a glass of wine).

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    One of the Ceroc membership rules states that no drinks of any kind can be brought into any venue.
    Individual venues or franchisees may have rules, but there's nothing in the general Ceroc rules about such things.

CEROC - About

# 11. You may not take your own drinks into any venue run by Ceroc Central

That's rule 11 of the Ceroc Central rules.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

# 11. You may not take your own drinks into any venue run by Ceroc Central

That's rule 11 of the Ceroc Central rules.
    Where's that then? I can't see anything on their website, is there a separate rule sheet or something? I don't doubt you, I'd just like some context.

As for the price - blimey, you should have been to Ashtons, they charged £1.40 for a pint of tepid tap water. Or Chsiwick, where it's £1.25 (I think) for a 33cl bottle of water. Compared to that, £1 for a 500cl bottle sounds quite reasonable to me.

And drinks policy is always set by the venue, they're usually really intense about it too.

That all said, yes, some gesture would be nice under the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    stuff about prices charged for water at some London venues
    This ain't some plush London venue - it's Daventry.

Where's that then? I can't see anything on their website, is there a separate rule sheet or something?
    Ceroc Central - Ceroc Membership Rules

Blog Entries

This ain't some plush London venue
    I guess you never went to Ashtons, huh?

Ah, right - thanks.

Interesting; rules 1-8 are the same, but 9 - 11 are CC specific...

Well OK, "interesting" in a very specific sense of the word...

That page is a lie.

You could have reminded me why I skipped the last daventry freestyle before I bought a ticket....

Blog Entries

That page is a lie.

Anglian water board have been distributing bottled water to at least some customers. They are talking about compensation. The venue should be able to supply bottled water instead of tap water and claim compensation for doing so.

Most customers, the ones nearest to the resevoir, will have the all clear by the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Anglian water board have been distributing bottled water to at least some customers. They are talking about compensation. The venue should be able to supply bottled water instead of tap water and claim compensation for doing so.

Most customers, the ones nearest to the resevoir, will have the all clear by the weekend.
    Well it would be nice if the venue did provide free bottled water but that is not what the bar staff said would be happening on Monday when I asked about it.

There is no chance whatever of water supplies being restored to Daventry by this week-end. The latest information from Anglian Water says that this will not happen for another week or so. It is areas around Northampton that will be getting their supply back this week-end but not Daventry.

Well it would be nice if the venue did provide free bottled water but that is not what the bar staff said would be happening on Monday when I asked about it.

There is no chance whatever of water supplies being restored to Daventry by this week-end. The latest information from Anglian Water says that this will not happen for another week or so. It is areas around Northampton that will be getting their supply back this week-end but not Daventry.
    It is possible that tap water, at whatever price the Daventry venue supplied it at, is part of the hire contract. In that case it might be considered that it would be up to the venue to provide an alternative at no extra cost.

Those are not the ceroc membership rules, that text is not written on the ceroc membership form, and I didn't "hereby agree" to their bizarre additions.

Blog Entries

Those are not the ceroc membership rules, that text is not written on the ceroc membership form, and I didn't "hereby agree" to their bizarre additions.
    Oh right, I get you - so those rules are only on the website then, not on the actual CC forms?

Yes, that's a bit pointless, it'd be difficult to imagine how you could enforce them if your members hadn't agreed to them,

The Dashing Moderator

Yes, that's a bit pointless, it'd be difficult to imagine how you could enforce them if your members hadn't agreed to them,
    I think the rule about aerials was introduced since many people signed up. This means that many people did not agree to that rule when they joined- but that doesn't mean that Ceroc won't enforce it.
    Love dance, will travel

Thread Information