Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Should teachers take their bad modes out on dancers

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Should teachers take their bad modes out on dancers

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    What a good idea. I wonder why no one's thought of it before?

Maybe you could then offer additional benefits for members of the "Rebel Alliance"... say something like membership of a recognised dance body - like the United Kingdom Alliance of Professional Teachers of Dance. You know, all your members could get have Public Liability Insurance through that - that'd be a handy incentive for joining.

Ooooh! Ooooh! How about some teacher training and exams - like the CTA? That way, all your members would be recognised as having a high standard of teaching. Another incentive!

Excellent idea. Now what could you call it.....?
    Oh i forgot about Leroc

ASFIK the Leroc org is not there to promote the dance itself? And they cert don't always seem to want to work with each other. I have seen loads of interfighting between Leroc clubs.

What I am talking about is a group who pushes MJ to the masses ie trying to get it promoted on TV etc. In all honesty it's probly not possible but it would be nice.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Oh i forgot about Leroc
    Would it be naughty of me to ask about this Smooth Jive Organisation thing...?

ASFIK the Leroc org is not there to promote the dance itself?
    I'm not actually 100% sure what the purpose of the Leroc federation is - it doesn't say on its website, which is a bit weird.

And they cert don't always seem to want to work with each other. I have seen loads of interfighting between Leroc clubs.
    No, really? Well, colour me shocked.

Anyone whingeing about Evil Ceroc should spend 10 years in the salsa scene, watching the constant bitching, bad feelings and backbiting going on there makes you feel glad that MJ has a dominant player, to damp down the worst excesses. And it's plain that where there are lots of little MJ organisers in an area, they will in general exhibit exactly the same behaviour.

What I am talking about is a group who pushes MJ to the masses ie trying to get it promoted on TV etc. In all honesty it's probly not possible but it would be nice.
    And their incentive for doing all this work would be...?

Oh i forgot about Leroc

ASFIK the Leroc org is not there to promote the dance itself? And they cert don't always seem to want to work with each other. I have seen loads of interfighting between Leroc clubs.
    Oh! dear....

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I suggest a new dance organisation called Leeroc, if only we knew someone called Lee who could run it to perfection One suggestion, call the teachers "Priests" and the dancing punters "The Faithful", dancers from other lesser organisations can be "Heretic Bastards"

Quote Originally Posted by
    Dreadful Scathe;483733
    I suggest a new dance organisation called Leeroc, if only we knew someone called Lee who could run it to perfection One suggestion, call the teachers "Priests" and the dancing punters "The Faithful", dancers from other lesser organisations can be "Heretic Bastards"
    Maybe Billy Cullen could register the trademark i am sure that would help

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    Maybe Billy Cullen could register the trademark i am sure that would help
    He registers logos - so he could have one of an heroic muscular Leeroc dancer standing of the head of a supine orange clad person with "Can't Teach Anything" on their ripped and dirty t-shirt.

Hey, its subtle, so no one will get it

Blog Entries

ASFIK the Leroc org is not there to promote the dance itself?
    Actually, I think they started out for that very reason. Remember, they started just after Ceroc became a trademarked, franchised organsation, so their aim was to provide a generic umbrella, under which unrelated organisations could come together to develop the dance. It sounds exactly like what you're suggesting.

From the Federation's website:
    In 1991 a group of independent dance teachers joined together to promote 'LeRoc' as the generic term for this modern jive style. Informal meetings took place to develop new moves and exchange ideas. As the group gained momentum, a series of highly successful promotions attracted both new business to classes and interest from established dance bodies, especially the UKA. In 1996 LeRoc it was decided to create an examination system for teachers, so that the public could be assured of obtaining a high standard of teaching
    And they cert don't always seem to want to work with each other. I have seen loads of interfighting between Leroc clubs.
    To be fair, Federation clubs tend to display a united face (on the whole - let's forget about Billy for the moment, shall we? ). I saw plenty of it back in Bristol, and now I'm in London I see a lot of co-operation between Love Leroc & Jive Nation (my two local Federation clubs). Even Ceroc franchises have been known to squabble! When you get the ego & temperament of a typical dance teacher, is it any wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I'm not actually 100% sure what the purpose of the Leroc federation is - it doesn't say on its website, which is a bit weird.
    Indeed, it's not at all clear now. It started with such noble causes, too. Maybe Lee should join & bring his obvious enthusiasm to shake them up a bit? That way, he has an existing platform to work from & will save him some groundwork. Why reinvent the wheel?

And their incentive for doing all this work would be...?
    Whirled peas, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    I suggest a new dance organisation called Leeroc, if only we knew someone called Lee who could run it to perfection One suggestion, call the teachers "Priests"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    He registers logos - so he could have one of an heroic muscular Leeroc dancer
    I'm not sure if it was intentional on your part, but this is what you get if you google on 'Lee Priest':

(He was the bodybuilder used in the first Hulk movie as well...)

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    focus on your typo (rather than, for example, the approximately 700 other grammatical/punctuation errors in the main body of your post).
    Give the guy a break I didn’t spot any typo’s grammatical errors ?

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post

The post as far as i know (yes i wasn’t there either) ………
    There you go who was there ??

Someone maybe stirring but how do you know ? If it’s a blaient lie why is allowed to remain on the forum ??

It does appear this part of the UK does have a bad press. However…

A certain individual has stated publicly they don’t want people who they haven’t ‘trained’ by them turning up at their venue

Another said they didn’t want people above a ‘certain standard’ and stated all male dancers with 50 miles of their venue were crap

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    I'm not sure if it was intentional on your part, but this is what you get if you google on 'Lee Priest':
    Strangely no, but that's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for - and it must be said the similarity between both Lees is uncanny, right down to the tufty hair

Strangely no, but that's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for - and it must be said the similarity between both Lees is uncanny, right down to the tufty hair
    and pose behind a bar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Someone maybe stirring but how do you know ? If it’s a blaient lie why is allowed to remain on the forum ??
    Coz it's really funny.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Coz it's really funny.
    I think we should do a re-enactment film for youTube - can I take the part of the handsome school-teachery teacher ? DB can be arsey loud heckler #1 ...any other suggestions ?

Blog Entries

any other suggestions ?
    How about another entry on the David Jones' Diary thread...

How about another entry on the David Jones' Diary thread...
    But how do you parody the original post? (And still end up with something you could read without making your eyeballs bleed?).

Commercial Operator

There you go who was there?
    It may come as a surprise to s38, but I was there
    Someone may be stirring but how do you know?
    It's obvious that grease is stirring. What do you think was his objective if not stirring. It was his first post, over 2 years after joining the forum. In all that time he'd done nothing, then he visits the forum and starts a thread where he thinks he's telling us how bad a teacher somebody is. When, all the time, and without him really having a clue, he's telling us how good this teacher is. What a strange world

If it’s a blatant lie why is allowed to remain on the forum??
    And I can tell you for certain, it is not a "blatant lie". There is some truth in amongst the poor grammar and punctuation. There is a great deal of exaggeration and a little bit of fabrication and poetic licence but the actual events that grease is complaining are wrong are seen as positive by most people who have responded. I think, and at least one of the moderators (DB) obviously thinks, that this post by grease shows the class and the teacher in a good light.

It does appear this part of the UK does have a bad press. However…

A certain individual has stated publicly they don’t want people who they haven’t ‘trained’ by them turning up at their venue
    That was me, and all I don't want is people who have been trained to do the semi-circle, etc who are not prepared to change. Consider a French language class, how would the teacher feel if someone started attending who had been taught the wrong grammar and meaning for words? The conversation practice would be very odd, almost like two different languages were being spoken. That teacher would want those students to change to fit into their class. That is all I'm asking people to do at my classes - change to fit them or stay away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    But how do you parody the original post? (And still end up with something you could read without making your eyeballs bleed?).
    I have faith in you, David

Commercial Operator

Re: Should a Smurf be allowed to dress as a woman in the new Jive Opera?

can I take the part of the handsome school-teachery teacher ? ?
    I know you have the correct outfits. However, you might be a bit too tall, young and, possibly, a bit too handsome

You could play the lady heckler #2 who was upset because she wasn't allowed to do the move where a lady ran her hand down the the middle of the lady heckler's chest

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    It may come as a surprise to s38, but I was there
    You were? Well, blimey, why didn't you say something to the teacher then, huh?

I think, and at least one of the moderators (DB) obviously thinks, that this post by grease shows the class and the teacher in a good light.
    Being semi-serious for a second, Andy's decided (correctly IMO) that this thread does him more good than harm. Had Andy wanted this removed on "name-and-shame" grounds, I'd have removed it.

(We don't have a "name-and-praise" moderation policy, for obvious reasons. )

Blog Entries

Re: Should a Smurf be allowed to dress as a woman in the new Jive Opera?

I know you have the correct outfits. However, you might be a bit too tall, young and, possibly, a bit too handsome

You could play the lady heckler #2 who was upset because she wasn't allowed to do the move where a lady ran her hand down the the middle of the lady heckler's chest
    Boy, this one could have a cast of thousands...

Thread Information