View Poll Results: Which is more important?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Knowledge

2 9.09%
  • Intelligence

10 45.45%
  • Both are equal

9 40.91%
  • Steven666

1 4.55%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

Knowledge is unattainable without intelligence. Intelligence is sterile without knowledge. The two go hand-in-hand.

Perhaps what Steven is trying to suggest is that knowledge to the point of pedantry can be the enemy of creativity/problem solving/intelligence? I would certainly agree with this.

Commercial Operator

(Zuber-Skerritt 1992a, 103)

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in the fruit bowl".

He later went on to say wisdom and intelligence are but one.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Knowledge is unattainable without intelligence. Intelligence is sterile without knowledge. The two go hand-in-hand.
    ok... I'll take the bait... I disagree, I believe a person can be intelligent and knowledgable. This does not mean that someone knowledgable is intelligent.
    Someone can be knowledgable because it has taken them years and years of working hard to obtain it. An intelligent person achieves the same result of knowledge, just in a quicker time.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    ok... I'll take the bait... I disagree, I believe a person can be intelligent and knowledgable. This does not mean that someone knowledgable is intelligent.
    Someone can be knowledgable because it has taken them years and years of working hard to obtain it. An intelligent person achieves the same result of knowledge, just in a quicker time.
    On the fence at the moment

Is someone with Autism inteliigent or knowledgeable ?

They may not be able to tie their shoe laces but can extract the 13th route of a 16 digiti number in 25 seconds

Where does 'common sense' come in

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    On the fence at the moment

Is someone with Autism inteliigent or knowledgeable ?

They may not be able to tie their shoe laces but can extract the 13th route of a 16 digiti number in 25 seconds
    Hey, not only can I tie my shoe laces, but I can extract the 13th root of a 16 digit number in a lot less time than that. (Assuming the 16 digit number is a perfect 13th power, as is usual in these problems).

Note that phi(10) = 4, so by Fermat, a^n = a (mod 10) when n = 1 (4). So to find the last digit of the root, we need only take the last digit of the 16 digit number.

And since 10^13 doesn't have 16 digits, and 20^13 =8192 x 10^13 has 17 digits, the first digit has to be 1.

Where does 'common sense' come in
    I admit, posting the above on a dance forum probably isn't a good example of common sense...

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Hey, not only can I tie my shoe laces, but I can extract the 13th root of a 16 digit number in a lot less time than that. (Assuming the 16 digit number is a perfect 13th power, as is usual in these problems).

Note that phi(10) = 4, so by Fermat, a^n = a (mod 10) when n = 1 (4). So to find the last digit of the root, we need only take the last digit of the 16 digit number.

And since 10^13 doesn't have 16 digits, and 20^13 =8192 x 10^13 has 17 digits, the first digit has to be 1.

I admit, posting the above on a dance forum probably isn't a good example of common sense...

Glad you spotted this

ps any significance in the number 31,536,000 ? No google allowed

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Glad you spotted this

ps any significance in the number 31,536,000 ? No google allowed
    Number of seconds in a year? (I know that's roughly 30 million).

Intelligence is a matter of feeling and experience. Knowledge is something that can be acquired over years. Think of all the underachievers in education who went on to achieve great things in the real world (Richard Branson, John Lennon, Winston Churchill, Steven Spielberg)

You must never equate inexperience with inability. How many of us have gone to dance classes thinking we couldn't do it, only to find that we created a whole new context and life experience that actually saved our souls to some degree?

I was in the top ability band at secondary school, but I have never once had cause to fall back on anything I learned in school to get by.

Some people have degrees and don't have the education to appreciate what they have in their lives.

best
    johnnyman

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyman View Post
    Intelligence is a matter of feeling and experience.
    Phooey - though if you replace Intelligence with "sex" you may have it right

Knowledge is something that can be acquired over years.
    Hopefully you're talking "grand sum" here and not "how to use a DVD player"

Think of all the underachievers in education who went on to achieve great things in the real world (Richard Branson, John Lennon, Winston Churchill, Steven Spielberg)
    Meaningless, not applying yourself to school and exams only means...you didn't apply yourself to school or exams.

How many of us have gone to dance classes thinking we couldn't do it,
    Probably just the pessimists

To which I respond

If you think you're stupid, you can't be, if you are you don't know it!!

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things we know we don't know. But, there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

What about "understanding"? That is neither knowledge or intelligence, but uses intelligence to make sense of knowledge. You need understanding as a conduit between the two, otherwise they are both as meaningless as each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    "There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things we know we don't know. But, there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld
    Are my the only person who thought that made sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    That'll be a known unknown.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I think people can appreciate that they are not as smart as others - i know i can

I think your statement fits knowledge better than Intelligence - I am reminded of the scene in The Seven Samurai where the aggressive amateur is sparring with the Samurai - he has enough martial knowledge to have an idea what he is capable of, but not enough to know his limitations. When he demands a contest to the death ... it doesn't end well for him

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    You know ... normally ... when anyone else types something like that, I just take it as a typo, and assume they intended to to type 'Am I'.

With you though ... I just don't know. Part of me wants to ask what the missing word (or phrase) is - the one that clearly fits between 'my' and 'the'.

But part of me is afraid that the word is clearly there in plain view ... but the normal human brain is somehow incapable of seeing it. And if I learn what the word is, my soul will be eternally lost, sucked into a never-ending nightmare world beyond my ken, and I'll never be able to go back to my normal, safe, human existence.

Sometimes, when I stare at the sentance for too long, the word seems to flicker into existence, at the very fringe of my perception.

What does it mean? Do I want to know? How can I s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    -- Donald Rumsfeld
    This reminded me of the Four Stages of Competence model.

From Wikipedia:

In psychology, the four stages of competence relate to the psychological states involved in the process of progressing from incompetence to competence in a skill:

1. Unconscious incompetence
      The individual neither understands or knows how to do something, nor recognizes the deficit or has a desire to address it.
    2. Conscious incompetence
      Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, he or she does recognize the deficit, without yet addressing it.
    3. Conscious competence
      The individual understands or knows how to do something. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires a great deal of consciousness or concentration.
    4. Unconscious competence
      The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it becomes "second nature" and can be performed easily (often without concentrating too deeply). He or she can also teach it to others.

I would like to suggest that Forumites use the above model to decide which category they think Steven666's postings belong to.

Don't post it! It's just for your own amusement!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I would like to suggest that Forumites use the above model to decide which category they think Steven666's postings belong to.
    Before deciding on a category, people might also want to have a look at this research paper:

Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments...

Across 4 studies, the authors found that participants scoring in the bottom quartile on tests of humor, grammar, and logic grossly overestimated their test performance and ability.

Emotional Stupidity

I’m a philosopher with an outstanding PhD in emotional intelligence and an IQ of over 150. I can thus claim to be very knowledgeable and intelligent.

Unfortunately I waste all my time on unrewarding tasks, make daft personal decisions, neglect friendships and never make any progress in life.

How stupid is that??

(Actually, I already know. It's emotionally stupid.)

If you can't read your feelings, you don’t know what’s good for you. Logic can't compensate.
    ----------
    Read: Emotional Intelligence: why it can matter more than IQ (Goleman, 1995).

Thread Information