View Poll Results: Which is more important?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Knowledge

2 9.09%
  • Intelligence

10 45.45%
  • Both are equal

9 40.91%
  • Steven666

1 4.55%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

There are many different kinds of intelligence (emotional, spiritual, interpersonal, abstract, common etc) as also there are many kinds of knowledge (factual, usefull, useless, trivial, literary, etc) So without definitions of the terms by the person posing the question, the answer is going to be vague at best.

So as Beo said, Intelligence without knowledge is like hardware without software. You could have the equivalent of a Crey computer in your brain, but without knowledge/information/things to process, it isn't going to do anything.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    Although a while back it was argued that the general trend in IQ increases has stopped and that this is due to changes in social/family trends. its been suggested that intelligent people are currently haveing 0-2 children and less intelligent people are having larger families, resulting in an overall reduction in IQ. Not saying i agree with it, before someone jumps down my throat but its a theory iv read.
    What we need is a breeding programme. We will take the fittest, the smartest and the most attractive. We will breed them and create a master race. And we sterilise those "cattle" who do not qualify for the programme. And we'll grow nice little moustaches, develop a grand salute, host the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, march on the Sudatenland ...

You say it's been done before? Twice? Never! Right thinking people would never agree to it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    What we need is a breeding programme. We will take the fittest, the smartest and the most attractive. wink:
    well thats me sorted out, all i need now is a male match. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    well thats me sorted out, all i need now is a male match. LOL
    ah but thats where Andy's criteria has problems, it would be almost all female

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    ah but thats where Andy's criteria has problems, it would be almost all female
    absolutely. Seeing as all intelligent, good looking, witty and fantastic people are female.

So, what is most important. It has to be knowledge, because we can do something about it and we can start today. Of course intelligence is important. And a better intelligence could produce a quicker, more accurate or more insightful result. But that better intelligence is not attainable for the individual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Knowledge, by a long way. Intelligence with the use of knowledge can create and grow - intelligence on its own is limited by its environment.
    So if knowledge is something that can grow, how did it start? Surely by the application of intelligence? Those early homo sapiens who discovered fire, the wheel, etc. and looked for better ways of doing things.

Saying that something is more important just because the individual can do something about it is meaningless in the context of the question as to which is more important, intelligence or knowledge – no mention of the individual in the original post.

I am also not sure how much knowledge there can be without intelligence… why learn something is you don’t have the intelligence to appreciate its value and application?

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I am also not sure how much knowledge there can be without intelligence… why learn something is you don’t have the intelligence to appreciate its value and application?

To eat ?

Schoolboy explodes goldfish memory myth - National - theage.com.au

Well those goldfish clearly did have the intelligence to appreciate the knowledge's application! Which adds weight to the arguements that they are most useful when used together.

Blog Entries

Well those goldfish clearly did have the intelligence to appreciate the knowledge's application! Which adds weight to the arguements that they are most useful when used together.
    yes they are but you rarely get them together. If you did wouldn't that make that person a genius and therefore insane.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I think all animals have knowledge, not that many are particularly intelligent though. you're giving humans way to much credit if you think people "appreciate" much of the knowledge they have...as s38 puts it in answer...

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    To eat ?
    and I cant argue with that

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Yes but the intelligent person would be able to work it out based on the existing knowledge they already have about vehicles in general - thinking though things such as there must be something to start the tank and a braking mechanism, are there gears, how steering something with treads might differ from steering something with wheels etc.

Its that ability to apply knowledge from elsewhere to a new situation that is a sign of intelligence.
    So if you have no prior knowledge in an area, an intelligent person wouldn't figure it out?

Personally I feel that this isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boi View Post
    There are many different kinds of intelligence (emotional, spiritual, interpersonal, abstract, common etc) as also there are many kinds of knowledge (factual, usefull, useless, trivial, literary, etc) So without definitions of the terms by the person posing the question, the answer is going to be vague at best.

So as Beo said, Intelligence without knowledge is like hardware without software. You could have the equivalent of a Crey computer in your brain, but without knowledge/information/things to process, it isn't going to do anything.
    I could define the two terms but I feel that I'd be wasting my time as different people see knowledge and intelligence in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Errr i totally disagree.

You can be extreme forms of knowledge and some people suck up knowledge like a sponge, these people do tend to have a restricted intelligence in common sense. They can end up totally dumbfounded by the simplest things. Let me explain why, you have a degree in Tanks. (yes i know this does not exist but its an example) this person will know all there is to know about tanks and probably be able to drive it but give him a bus and he is buggered because his intelligence is missing.

Give a tank to a person with intelligence, they will probably be able to make sense of them both of them and drive away quite happily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Yes but the intelligent person would be able to work it out based on the existing knowledge they already have about vehicles in general - thinking though things such as there must be something to start the tank and a braking mechanism, are there gears, how steering something with treads might differ from steering something with wheels etc.

Its that ability to apply knowledge from elsewhere to a new situation that is a sign of intelligence.
    When it comes to knowledge i think that there are two main areas - learning and applying. If all you ever do is learn then suddenly trying to apply something will prove difficult. However, i would have thought that without any knowledge then you will have nothing to apply - knowledge does not have to mean knowing mastermind-style facts though. I suppose you could define intelligence as knowing what knowledge to gain and then how best to apply this knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    So if you have no prior knowledge in an area, an intelligent person wouldn't figure it out?

Personally I feel that this isn't the case.
    How would you evaluate [latex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \ln \sin a \, da[/latex] without prior knowledge?

I could define the two terms but I feel that I'd be wasting my time as different people see knowledge and intelligence in different ways.
    Surely that's all the more reason for you to explain how you are defining knowledge and intelligence?

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    How would you evaluate [latex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \ln \sin a \, da[/latex] without prior knowledge?

Surely that's all the more reason for you to explain how you are defining knowledge and intelligence?
    Should have added, it depends on the situation/exmaple. Every case will be different.

As for any equation and such, they involve pure knowledge and metholody.

... And we'll grow nice little moustaches, develop a grand salute, host the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, march on the Sudatenland ...
    Unfortunately the those phenomena were the results of natural selection.

Is DNA an abbreviation for "Dinna"?

Should have added, it depends on the situation/exmaple. Every case will be different.
    Better sort your quantifiers, then.

Still waiting for your definition of knowledge and intelligence, too...

How would you evaluate [latex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \ln \sin a \, da[/latex] without prior knowledge?...
    ...Still waiting for your definition of knowledge and intelligence, too...
    The intelligent go dancing and lets someone else does the math. The knowlegable know this.

That sentence, although true, strays from the truth in reality.
    clearly we're all underestimating your knowledge of both logic and language and the intelligence you display in their usage.

You said you read sci-fi ?

Does anyone here actually know me well enough?
    You gotta acknowledge that you're not giving much incentive to...

Better sort your quantifiers, then.

Still waiting for your definition of knowledge and intelligence, too...
    Keeping it simple:

Knowledge : The ability to regurgitate facts.

Intelligence : The ability to use common sence/nous.

To two may or may not be conected depending on the situation at hand.

Thread Information