View Poll Results: Which is more important?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Knowledge

    2 9.09%
  • Intelligence

    10 45.45%
  • Both are equal

    9 40.91%
  • Steven666

    1 4.55%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 128

Thread: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

  1. #21
    Lovely Moderator ducasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    10,015
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked 144 Times in 90 Posts

    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Knowledge is more important. If you know everything about everything you shouldn't need to be very smart to be able to use or pass on this knowledge.

    Intelligence on its own ain't worth a lot.

    The question though is a bit like 'which is more important, software or hardware?' It doesn't matter how powerful a computer you have if there is no software to tell it what to do.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

  2. #22
    Registered User martingold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,864
    Thanks
    624
    Thanked 270 Times in 188 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    It depends. It's all relative.
    I have some very intelligent relatives who are also quite knowledgeable

  3. #23
    Commercial Operator
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Sussex by the Sea
    Posts
    9,276
    Thanks
    641
    Thanked 376 Times in 284 Posts

    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Now students, let's look at this problem from a practical point of view. How does it affect you, the individual.

    Let's look at intelligence first. Let's call intelligence the ability to process data and come to a conclusion or produce a result. Can we do anything to increase our intelligence? There are many people who say you can. Some people will take your money and promise they can help - even they only claim to increase your intelligence by a small amount, say 20%. And we're not sure that what is being measured is the ability to process data: often it's the ability to do intelligence tests!

    Now let's look at knowledge. It's what the intelligent brain uses in to process new data - even that data is more knowledge. Can we do anything to increase our knowledge? YES! We can increase our knowledge through study, through living, through conversation. Every day we add to our bank of knowledge. If we do nothing new we add little. If we try new things, live a full life, etc we will increase our knowledge by a thousand times: possibly a thousand, thousand!

    So, what is most important. It has to be knowledge, because we can do something about it and we can start today. Of course intelligence is important. And a better intelligence could produce a quicker, more accurate or more insightful result. But that better intelligence is not attainable for the individual.

  4. #24
    Registered User Nick M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bath
    Posts
    310
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Both knowledge and intelligence need each other. However knowledge can be accumulated by society, while intelligence is a personal quality.

    Human intelligence has not changed for millenia. Human knowledge has grown enormously since then. Every trapping of life you take for granted is a consequence of that accumulated knowledge. The difference in the quality of life you have, compared to someone in the Bronze age, is a consequence of better knowledge, not of better intelligence. A person of average IQ can accomplish more than Plato or Aristotle, purely as a result of the knowledge available to modern society.


    Another way to look at it - babies are highly intelligent. They know virtually nothing. Even the most intellient baby can accomplish less than a moderately intelligent adult.

    Intelligence without knowledge is powerless. Knowledge without intelligence is a blunt weapon, but is still a weapon

  5. #25
    Registered User cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    346
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    Both knowledge and intelligence need each other. However knowledge can be accumulated by society, while intelligence is a personal quality.

    Human intelligence has not changed for millenia. Human knowledge has grown enormously since then. Every trapping of life you take for granted is a consequence of that accumulated knowledge. The difference in the quality of life you have, compared to someone in the Bronze age, is a consequence of better knowledge, not of better intelligence. A person of average IQ can accomplish more than Plato or Aristotle, purely as a result of the knowledge available to modern society.


    Another way to look at it - babies are highly intelligent. They know virtually nothing. Even the most intellient baby can accomplish less than a moderately intelligent adult.

    Intelligence without knowledge is powerless. Knowledge without intelligence is a blunt weapon, but is still a weapon

    Sorry i disagree, intelligence and knowledge are not independent of each other. If a person is not provided with stimulation and knowledge their potential intelligence is never fulfilled. Secondly, there is a body of evidence suggesting that western intelligence is increasing. Since the 50's, scores on IQ tests have gradually increased. Not saying i agree with the conclusion that intelligence is increasing, but you certainly cannot say that intelligence has not changed for millenia.
    Also intelligence is related to age and you cannot compare people of different age groups.

  6. #26
    Commercial Operator
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northeastern Parts
    Posts
    5,221
    Thanks
    267
    Thanked 644 Times in 356 Posts

    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    There was a program on that last night. Given the right tricks, apparantly, any nerd can bed anyone they want.
    So you're saying that in this particular case, intelligence doesn't matter in the slightest, whereas knowledge is paramount?

  7. #27
    Commercial Operator
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northeastern Parts
    Posts
    5,221
    Thanks
    267
    Thanked 644 Times in 356 Posts

    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    I've read a lot over nearly 27 years.
    Given that the forum lists you as being nearly twenty seven years old - that would mean you started reading when you were less than a year old? Colour me impressed....

  8. #28
    Papa Smurf
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Planet Scathe
    Posts
    12,528
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 573 Times in 379 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Which is more important?
    Knowledge, by a long way. Intelligence with the use of knowledge can create and grow - intelligence on its own is limited by its environment.

    For me, genius, consists of 99% intelligence and 1% knowledge.
    So is "genius" a good thing then ? For an individual ? for society ?

    Is this the thought process that has meant that I've never read a single book

    No, thats probably arrogance

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    bedford
    Posts
    4,899
    Thanks
    240
    Thanked 219 Times in 155 Posts

    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    ... Knowledge without intelligence is a blunt weapon, but is still a weapon
    You can hit them with an encyclopedia.

    Life is about knowing how to solve problems. That knowledge can be instinctive or inbuilt, like moving away from pain. Every living thing has such knowledge in its genes, and we could not live without it. Intelligence has its uses.

  10. #30
    Registered User Beowulf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Beoverse
    Posts
    7,985
    Thanks
    328
    Thanked 242 Times in 148 Posts

    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Intelligence is knowing enough not to put it into a fruit salad"


    I have a vast Knowledge of lots of useless things.. doesn't make me intelligent however. Knowledge is knowing 'facts', Intelligence is being able to process those facts into something more practical and think around the 'facts' .. play with them a little, question where they fit in and fit together and be prepared to throw them away if you come up with a better set of facts.

    When I was young I KNEW there was a Santa . As I got older I began to think about the problems he had to overcome to deliver the presents to all the people of the world in one night, getting into building without chimneys etc etc . In order to answer these questions one fatefull christmas eve I set up a trap to alert me when Santa arrived so I could ask him these questions. I got my answer.. just not the one I was expecting. essentially I'd known something (Knowledge of a fact) .. I had the intelligence to question it..and though experimentation came up with a better fact.. that Santa didn't exist and it was just my Dad after all.

    You need a balance of both IMHO.. You need the facts to base your investigations on.. you need the know how to reshape your accepted library of facts.

    it wasn't THAT long ago when we all KNEW the earth was the center of the universe.

  11. #31
    Registered User stewart38's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ambrosden it gets
    Posts
    7,480
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 162 Times in 100 Posts

    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Sorry i disagree, intelligence and knowledge are not
    Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    Sorry i disagree, intelligence and knowledge are not independent of each other. If a person is not provided with stimulation and knowledge their potential intelligence is never fulfilled. Secondly, there is a body of evidence suggesting that western intelligence is increasing. Since the 50's, scores on IQ tests have gradually increased. Not saying i agree with the conclusion that intelligence is increasing, but you certainly cannot say that intelligence has not changed for millenia.
    Also intelligence is related to age and you cannot compare people of different age groups.


    My understanding is.....

    'intelligence' has increased because of 'knowledge'

    If you were to take a Ape man from 50,000 BC and raise him from infant today he would be able to talk/take exams etc etc

    Mans inherent intelligence hasnt changed much in that time

    You couldnt train a dog to walk /take exams from 50,000 years ago or from now

    IQ results go up as we know more

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Waltham abbey
    Posts
    4,610
    Thanks
    382
    Thanked 354 Times in 206 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Knowledge, by a long way. Intelligence with the use of knowledge can create and grow - intelligence on its own is limited by its environment.
    Errr i totally disagree.

    You can be extreme forms of knowledge and some people suck up knowledge like a sponge, these people do tend to have a restricted intelligence in common sense. They can end up totally dumbfounded by the simplest things. Let me explain why, you have a degree in Tanks. (yes i know this does not exist but its an example) this person will know all there is to know about tanks and probably be able to drive it but give him a bus and he is buggered because his intelligence is missing.

    Give a tank to a person with intelligence, they will probably be able to make sense of them both of them and drive away quite happily.

  13. #33
    Registered User stewart38's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ambrosden it gets
    Posts
    7,480
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 162 Times in 100 Posts

    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    When I was young I KNEW there was a Santa . As I got older I began to think about the problems he had to overcome to deliver the presents to all the people of the world in one night, getting into building without chimneys etc etc . In order to answer these questions one fatefull christmas eve I set up a trap to alert me when Santa arrived so I could ask him these questions. I got my answer.. just not the one I was expecting. essentially I'd known something (Knowledge of a fact) .. I had the intelligence to question it..and though experimentation came up with a better fact.. that Santa didn't exist and it was just my Dad after all.
    Any children reading this thread please note Beowulf is only kidding

  14. #34
    Registered User cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    346
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Sorry i disagree, intelligence and knowledge are not



    My understanding is.....

    'intelligence' has increased because of 'knowledge'

    If you were to take a Ape man from 50,000 BC and raise him from infant today he would be able to talk/take exams etc etc

    Mans inherent intelligence hasnt changed much in that time

    You couldnt train a dog to walk /take exams from 50,000 years ago or from now

    IQ results go up as we know more

    Brain sizes have increased since then, although are stable now, which is believed to be due to improved diet. Other increases are due to as you say improved knowledge, education and nutrition. Although a while back it was argued that the general trend in IQ increases has stopped and that this is due to changes in social/family trends. its been suggested that intelligent people are currently haveing 0-2 children and less intelligent people are having larger families, resulting in an overall reduction in IQ. Not saying i agree with it, before someone jumps down my throat but its a theory iv read.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    bedford
    Posts
    4,899
    Thanks
    240
    Thanked 219 Times in 155 Posts

    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    ...Although a while back it was argued that the general trend in IQ increases has stopped and that this is due to changes in social/family trends. its been suggested that intelligent people are currently haveing 0-2 children and less intelligent people are having larger families, resulting in an overall reduction in IQ...
    The trend is also for the more intelligent to have their families later, and this is a geometric progression and probably more significant.

    Government policy of having degree students paying for their education may be disasterous for the future of Britain. It takes longer for them to be able to afford a family.

  16. #36
    Registered User cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    346
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    The average student gets married older and has children at a later age than someone who doesnt go to uni. Remember learning that at uni but cant remember why!

  17. #37
    Registered User stewart38's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ambrosden it gets
    Posts
    7,480
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 162 Times in 100 Posts

    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    Brain sizes have increased since then,
    Not in 50,000 years it hasn’t although maybe if you went back to 1,000,000BC when we were fighting with the dinosaurs it might have ?

    I think some type of Ape/pre man , 2million BC had larger brains

    Size doesn’t matter its how you use it

  18. #38
    Registered User Lynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    8,925
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 251 Times in 175 Posts

    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    You can have a lot of knowledge with limited intelligence.

    You are unlikely to have high intelligence without much knowledge though. Intelligent people seek knowledge. Being dismissive of knowledge is not a sign of great intelligence.

    The two in combination gives the ability to apply the knowledge in an intelligent way.

    Of course we never have complete knowledge. Genius is being able to 'jump the gaps' in the existing knowledge.

  19. #39
    Registered User stewart38's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ambrosden it gets
    Posts
    7,480
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 162 Times in 100 Posts

    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    You can have a lot of knowledge with limited intelligence.

    You are unlikely to have high intelligence without much knowledge though. Intelligent people seek knowledge. Being dismissive of knowledge is not a sign of great intelligence.

    The two in combination gives the ability to apply the knowledge in an intelligent way.

    Of course we never have complete knowledge. Genius is being able to 'jump the gaps' in the existing knowledge.
    Dolphins have high inteillgence do they have great knowledge ?

    I assume so (its an open question)

  20. #40
    Registered User Lynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    8,925
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 251 Times in 175 Posts

    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    You can be extreme forms of knowledge and some people suck up knowledge like a sponge, these people do tend to have a restricted intelligence in common sense. They can end up totally dumbfounded by the simplest things. Let me explain why, you have a degree in Tanks. (yes i know this does not exist but its an example) this person will know all there is to know about tanks and probably be able to drive it but give him a bus and he is buggered because his intelligence is missing.

    Give a tank to a person with intelligence, they will probably be able to make sense of them both of them and drive away quite happily.
    Yes but the intelligent person would be able to work it out based on the existing knowledge they already have about vehicles in general - thinking though things such as there must be something to start the tank and a braking mechanism, are there gears, how steering something with treads might differ from steering something with wheels etc.

    Its that ability to apply knowledge from elsewhere to a new situation that is a sign of intelligence.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. General Knowledge Quizzes
    By stewart38 in forum Fun and Games
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2nd-June-2008, 11:22 AM
  2. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 6th-July-2007, 01:42 PM
  3. Intelligence test!
    By Katie Kicks Ass in forum Fun and Games
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 7th-December-2006, 09:08 AM
  4. Frustrated by your knowledge?
    By ducasi in forum The Land of a 1000 dances
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 5th-May-2006, 10:50 PM
  5. Test your gaming knowledge
    By BobbyA in forum Fun and Games
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 8th-March-2006, 08:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •