View Poll Results: Which is more important?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Knowledge

2 9.09%
  • Intelligence

10 45.45%
  • Both are equal

9 40.91%
  • Steven666

1 4.55%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Actually, it seems self evident that we can define them: Steven666 has posted an existance proof of that.

Of course, that doesn't mean the definitions will be any good...
    Self-evidence is tautology and thus not proof. Anyone with a hint of intelligence - or a knowledge of logic - could tell you that.

Re: Emotional Stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Joxer View Post
    I’m a philosopher with an outstanding PhD in emotional intelligence and an IQ of over 150. I can thus claim to be very knowledgeable and intelligent.
    No it doesnt

My brother knows all about Norwich Football club but couldnt boil an egg

Knowledge in one area means nothing

You can claim to be intelligent but not very knowledgable, you could be of course but not on that statement

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    You can claim to be intelligent but not very knowledgable, you could be of course but not on that statement
    Fair point. Omit the word 'thus' and chalk one up for pedantry. As it happens, I've studied more subjects at uni, and worked in more diverse jobs, than virtually anyone; my knowledge is fairly encyclopaedic.

Anyway, the point I was making is that neither knowledge nor IQ count for much in life if you aren't emotionally attuned. For many of the things being discussed here, EI matters more than knowledge or intelligence - for personal prosperity, getting along with people, making good decisions ... or emptying your nuts (if that's your thing).

An emotionally intelligent person is more fun to be around. Let's face it, nobody likes a smart ass (plenty of them on this forum, though!).

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Let's face it, nobody likes a smart ass (plenty of them on this forum, though!).
    No, he left ages ago and has never been back

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    No, he left ages ago and has never been back
    Watch it, or I'll tell him you're calling him a smart ass.

Of course, if I don't agree, I wonder how I know who you're talking about...

An emotionally intelligent person is more fun to be around. Let's face it, nobody likes a smart ass (plenty of them on this forum, though!).
    I'm surprised anyone - anyone intelligent that is - seriously buys emotional intelligence. It seems to take a double whammy of one very loosely formed idea (intelligence) and then complicate it. Goleman's earlier work was second rate cognitive psychology, and just didn't measure up against the real geniuses in the field. So he went in to marketing.

It's funny how ofen a person being intelligence - or emotionally intelligent - translates directly to, "they agree with me". Similarly, people who disagree are quickly labelled a smart ass. The content of the ideas are rarely relevant. Curiously, many of the people who go on about the concept of emotional intelligence also consider themselves emotionally intelligent.

One suspects, as with most things, the concept is used to rationalise preconceptions rather than to actually encourage reason. Conclusions typically preceed analysis.

It wouldn't surprise me to see this post will be villified. I'm not sure if the response will be intelligent, emotionally intelligent or just plain funny.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    I'm surprised anyone - anyone intelligent that is - seriously buys emotional intelligence.
    I agree - to an extent.

Goleman's book is pure pop psychology: entertaining and overblown. He describes a ragbag of skills and competences that has have little to do with the original scientific construct proposed by Salovey & Mayer, which has rather more credibility.

The book 'Emotional Intelligence: Science & Myth' offers a very thorough scientific critique. The main author is scathing about Goleman'$ commercial spin on the original research - and he co-supervised my PhD (which actually wasn't about emotional intelligence per se: I summarised the problems with that construct, set it aside and replaced it with something much more amenable to neuropsychological research). So of course I agree with you. I just find it easier to use the familiar terminology with non-psychologists so they have an idea what I'm talking about.

Goleman ... went in to marketing.
    Absolutely. Goleman's commerical reworking has been dubbed "Promotional Intelligence". He's set up an industry around it. As you say, it's often abused by anti-rationalists with all sorts of kooky ideas. But shorn of the hyperbole, there is a valid core pointing in the right direction.

Curiously, many of the people who go on about the concept of emotional intelligence also consider themselves emotionally intelligent.
    Well, let me be a clear counterexample to that. I also run a web forum for people in a similar situation. There is a psychiatric name for the condition (more scientific than "emotional stupidity") and it's associated with a bundle of other problems. But let's not get into that here.

It wouldn't surprise me to see this post will be villified. I'm not sure if the response will be intelligent, emotionally intelligent or just plain funny.
    Definitely not. I was just trying to avoid splitting academic hairs and be a little facetious to lighten the mood, but maybe I struck the wrong chord. I'm happy to discuss the other technicalities ... on my other forum - pm if you're interested.

Re: Knowledge Vs Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Which is more important?

I've never read a single book ...
    So what do you do in bed just before you put out the lights?

Daisy

(A Bookworm)

PS My biggest fear when I was a child, was that I would run out of new books to read before I died.

Thread Information