Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apostrophiles

Re: Apostrophiles

Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boi View Post
    If you have a problem with text speak because it's changing the language, then why are you not speaking in ye olde english? A person of the Victorian era would probably have great trouble understanding modern English. Text speak, net speak and other such ways of changing the language are matters of evolution, the fittest will survive. I personally am not a big fan of text speak, but it more often than not can be used to convey a lot in a short space, such as in a text. I do find it funny when people use txt speak in things like essays ect, but then, they are actually marked on spelling, punctuation and grammar.
    I'm not convinced that text speak changes language.

Did the electric telegraph change language back in the days before telephones [or early days of them]?

Commercial Operator

And as for the person who decided my comments are worth neg repping me, I think you may have missed my point.
    Perhaps your point was not communicated as clearly as you thought?

Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    from wikipedia it appears that the apostrophe is substituting for the missing "hhh"
    If that is the source of D'oh then it's more correct to write Do'h as Steven has written.
    But why would Wiki write it as D'oh instead of Do'h?
    Hit's nial on haed. Hvae smoe rep! (if I can gvie it out yet)

Tohguh you sohlud hvae sotpepd raednig ocne "Wikpedia" was metnioied!

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Perhaps your point was not communicated as clearly as you thought?
    Hmm could well be, either that, or we really are getting marked down on our S.P.G. If that's the case, I might as well stop posting now before my rep gets into negative numbers.

Hmm could well be, either that, or we really are getting marked down on our S.P.G. If that's the case, I might as well stop posting now before my rep gets into negative numbers.
    Dn'ot do taht. You spaek secne.

Steven

Here is a link to really make any S.P.G pedant's head explode - The Lol Cat Bible

Anyone who has ever played an MMO would probably recognise the language used in this. Just be glad I dont start posting in lolspeak.

Txt spk in texts is fine - there is limited space and it makes sense.

I don't aim for perfect grammar when posting on here, I do use words like 'cos etc. I think that is acceptable because this is an informal environment and some balance between how we write and how we speak is fine. I can do the formal 'academic style' writing when I choose to, but I think it would be a barrier to communication here so I opt not to.

But we are not texting, so why use text speak?

I have no problem with poor spelling, not everyone knows how to spell correctly and I am not going to judge someone on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Txt spk in texts is fine - there is limited space and it makes sense.

I don't aim for perfect grammar when posting on here, I do use words like 'cos etc. I think that is acceptable because this is an informal environment and some balance between how we write and how we speak is fine. I can do the formal 'academic style' writing when I choose to, but I think it would be a barrier to communication here so I opt not to.

But we are not texting, so why use text speak?

I have no problem with poor spelling, not everyone knows how to spell correctly and I am not going to judge someone on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    So why do so mnay poelpe do? Bfafels me toatlly.

[and for reference this childish typing from me will continue until the case of calling people a (k)nob is not a socially accepted practice here]

WoooT!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    So why do so mnay poelpe do? Bfafels me toatlly.

[and for reference this childish typing from me will continue until the case of calling people a (k)nob is not a socially accepted practice here]
    For some people it's their job and it's hard to let thing like that go (myself included). For others it's just their upbringing/schooling and I'm sure there are also those who just do it for fun.

BTW, it never was a socially acceptable practice for people to call you a kn0b, you kn0b.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    BTW, it never was a socially acceptable practice for people to call you a kn0b, you kn0b.
    Don't you mean (k)nob, you (k)nob?

And S666, keep typing in whatever style you like - it doesn't make your posts worth reading any more than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    You are protesting about being called a kn0b, by being a kn0b.

Is that some kind or Irony?

I for one will be ignoring all your posts (after this one, obviously) until you grow up and start typing like an adult.

For some people it's their job and it's hard to let thing like that go (myself included). For others it's just their upbringing/schooling and I'm sure there are also those who just do it for fun.
    Wot I fort.

I .

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    You are protesting about being called a kn0b, by being a kn0b.

Is that some kind or Irony?

I for one will be ignoring all your posts (after this one, obviously) until you grow up and start typing like an adult.
    Probably.

It's getting annoying for me to mistype now. Though if I do make a mistake from now on, it will be unintentional.

What is evolution if not a response to change? People were presented with a linguistic problem, and evolved the language to compensate. This will likely evolve again, or maybe de-evolve if the circumstances were to change. The limitations of space in a text message have changed the language used in a text message. Hate it or embrace it, it is up to you. Evolution is about the survival of the fittest, and the new doesn't always replace the old. And as for speak-to-text, when that happens, the language may well evolve again.
    Txt speak will disappear when SMS text messaging becomes obsolete, that's the thrust of what I wrote. (Ernie Wise, where are you now?)

I'd love to read your explanation of the difference between 'evolving' and 'de-evolving'.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Txt speak will disappear when SMS text messaging becomes obsolete, that's the thrust of what I wrote. (Ernie Wise, where are you now?)

I'd love to read your explanation of the difference between 'evolving' and 'de-evolving'.
    Actually de-evolve was a poor choice of word really. Revert may have been a better one, in that there may be a backlash against the use of things such as text speak to the extent where ye olde English comes back into fashion.

I got the point you were making Barry, txt speak may well disappear, but that doesn't mean it's going to go away right now. On the flip side, language based on the principles we know today may also disappear with other advances in technology. It will be interesting to see how language changes in the future though.

'Txt spk' (ugh) horrifies me. But then again, I work for a medical communication company, and it features in a recurring nightmare of mine. Just imagine:

I'm recruiting for 3 vacancies, where I'm mostly looking at new science graduates. I receive six CVs (which is low, but quite normal). Two of the CVs are written well, without any icky SPaG, but don't have any experience or quite the right degree. Two are riddled with errors, but the candidates have the right degree, at least. The final two are written in 'txt spk', but the candidates are otherwise perfect.

I'm breaking out in a cold sweat just thinking about the dilemma that would face me with...

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    I'm breaking out in a cold sweat just thinking about the dilemma that would face me with...
    Readvertise?

As so much of today's communication is in written form (people will often email rather than phone) then poor written communication is going to give poor representation of an organisation. If the person is going to be involved in any form of written communication then their CV should reflect that.

Aside from anything else, a CV full of errors or written in txt spk would indicate the candidate isn't serious about the job anyway - how hard is it to ask someone to check over and correct your CV if you know your spelling/grammar is weak?

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    'Txt spk' (ugh) horrifies me. But then again, I work for a medical communication company, and it features in a recurring nightmare of mine. Just imagine:

I'm recruiting for 3 vacancies, where I'm mostly looking at new science graduates. I receive six CVs (which is low, but quite normal). Two of the CVs are written well, without any icky SPaG, but don't have any experience or quite the right degree. Two are riddled with errors, but the candidates have the right degree, at least. The final two are written in 'txt spk', but the candidates are otherwise perfect.

Choise either one of the final two. Quite simple.

Unfortunately, in the real world, that wouldn't happen.

Thread Information