Thread: Interesting stories

Interesting stories

Story #1

Watched Laura last night - classic b&w 'tec thriller from 1944 starring Gene Tierney, once described by Darryl F Zanuck of Fox as the most beautiful actress in movies, ever.

I thought I'd look her up in Wikipedia, and found out the following.

Her first child, a daughter, was born blind and mentally handicapped because of a german measles infection. Gene blamed herself for the problems and a few years later it led to serious bipolar problems, nervous breakdowns and almost the end of her career.

Several years later she was accosted by a fan who told her that, years before, Gene had given her an autograph when she had sneaked out of hospital to see her idol - she was in hospital being treated for German measles...

Gene Tierney just turned and walked away without speaking and never had anything to do with her fans ever after.

Unbelievable.

Attributed to Gene Tierney was this quote: "Everybody should be able to experience Hollywood through the eyes of a teenage girl who has just passed a screentest." I thought that was sweet.

Re: Interesting stories

Story #2

This is verbatim from Mapping the mind by Rita Carter, a book I recommend highly.

Alex...did not babble like a normal baby, nor did he say ‘da-da’ or ‘ma-ma’ at the appointed time. At three he was showing signs of mental retardation and he had still not uttered a word.

However when, at five, Alex came out with his first words, they were astonishing. It happened on a hot day in his doctor’s waiting room. Alex was restless and toddled over to investigate a portable electric fan which had been brought in to keep the area cool. His mother removed him to a safe distance, but the boy kept returning and sticking his fingers perilously close to the blades. The receptionist, spotting the danger, turned the machine off. Clearly irritated, Alex turned it back on. The receptionist switched it off at the mains. A few minutes later Alex went up to the socket and flipped the switch back down. The receptionist responded by pulling the plug out and placing it beyond the boy’s reach.

Alex was now stymied. Looking severely displeased, he fiddled with the switch, flipped the mains and shook the base of the fan. Everyone braced themselves for a wail of anger or some similar infant protest. Instead, Alex chose that moment to come out with his maiden speech.

“Jesus Christ! This fan doesn’t work!”

I don't know about you but I roared with laughter when I read that. Oh, dear. Conclusive proof that inanimate objects that misbehave cause frustration in a class of their own.

Thread Information