Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1,008 hours

Re: 1,008 hours

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I don't think the problem exists.

Sir Ken McDonald, the Director of Public Prosecutions, doesn't think the problem exists.

Numerous other security experts don't think the problem exists.

It's just gesture politics - Brown wants to look strong, tough on terror rather than on the causes of terror. He knows it'll never get through the Lords, anyhow. Again, the irony of relying on an unelected chamber to preserve civil liberties is quite amusing...

It's clearly about Brown's authority, not terrorism. The majority of 'experts' in the area didn't see a need for it, and it's also many weeks longer than the limit in any other democratic country. Even Zimbabwe limits it to 30 days. Of course a a few senior police officers did back 90 days, but the police usually push for such powers if they want to create a police state, don't they?

When a "rabidly right-wing" Tory is protesting against the erosion of civil liberties against a Labour government, and when he's supported by Liberty and (effectively) the Lib Dems... It's just weird beyond weirdness, that's all I can say.
    Let's hope it's a permanent feature, not just for short term political advantage.

Juju

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    It's clearly about Brown's authority, not terrorism. The majority of 'experts' in the area didn't see a need for it, and it's also many weeks longer than the limit in any other democratic country. Even Zimbabwe limits it to 30 days.
    Reminds me of a cartoon in The Spectator... Mugabe saying: "When will Britain rid itself of the tyrant Brown?"

I know, it's weird, isn't it? When a "rabidly right-wing" Tory is protesting against the erosion of civil liberties against a Labour government, and when he's supported by Liberty and (effectively) the Lib Dems... It's just weird beyond weirdness, that's all I can say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I dunno, I'm tempted to vote Tory now as the left wing alternative to the status quo
    It's just gesture politics - Brown wants to look strong, tough on terror rather than on the causes of terror. He knows it'll never get through the Lords, anyhow. Again, the irony of relying on an unelected chamber to preserve civil liberties is quite amusing...
    Has it really taken you this long to figure it out? Come on, boys!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juju View Post
    Has it really taken you this long to figure it out? Come on, boys!
    Figure what out? i think you're making some assumptions here

Recent developments

A convicted 'terrorist' has been freed on appeal.

Good. Nothing about this conviction seemed very satisfactory.

But what did bother me is the CPS statement that "21 documents the prosecution relied on in Ms Malik's trial "would no longer be held capable of giving practical assistance to terrorists". "

Why's that, then?

Seems a lot of documents to be wrong about, surely? 1, or 2 - but 21???

Re: Recent developments

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    But what did bother me is the CPS statement that "21 documents the prosecution relied on in Ms Malik's trial "would no longer be held capable of giving practical assistance to terrorists".
    The actual press release says "some of the 21 documents". (CPS Press Release : CPS response to Samina Malik appeal)

Re: Recent developments

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    The actual press release says "some of the 21 documents". (CPS Press Release : CPS response to Samina Malik appeal)
    Hmm. That's a very naughty misquote by the BBC then. 'Some of the' could be as little as 2. Just goes to show how a very small difference can create a wholly different impression.

I emailed channel 5 News the other day after the newsreader characterised the 42 day detention period as "42 day detention without trial". I said that they should be ashamed of themselves, it was 42 days without charge - no one gets to trial within 42 days of being arrested in England!!

They emailed back and apologised. But that was a careless error, just like this.

Thread Information