Thread: Rivoli Ballroom

Rivoli Ballroom

Can anyone tell me what the Jive Party nights at the Rivoli Ballroom are like? Keep meaning to go and try one out, particularly as it’s really close to where I live and the venue is supposed to be fantastic as well as under threat of closure.

I can see from the website that they have bands playing next weekend (21st June, The Alley Cats) and the month after (19th July, The Sentinels of Rhythm). Anyone know what these bands are like? What’s the format of the night like in terms of music? And do they have a DJ whilst the bands are having a rest?

Anyone else fancy going along on one of these evenings?

Any info gratefully received!

Re: Rivoli Ballroom

My favourite venue, location wise.Have taken my kids there before also and they loved it.

Bands predominantly fast swing but entertaining and great atmosphere.
    Often non dancers also there for night out.
    DJ predominantly swing with MJ Classics although could do with a bit of a makeover with tracks played but always a good night.

The no of MJ regular dancers that turn up depends normally on what else is on that night.

If you are really lucky there are flying saucers or lollies on the door.
    Avoid the ham sandwiches and crisps unless you like them stale).

Quote Originally Posted by mick s View Post
    My favourite venue, location wise.Have taken my kids there before also and they loved it.

Bands predominantly fast swing but entertaining and great atmosphere.
    Often non dancers also there for night out.
    DJ predominantly swing with MJ Classics although could do with a bit of a makeover with tracks played but always a good night.

The no of MJ regular dancers that turn up depends normally on what else is on that night.

If you are really lucky there are flying saucers or lollies on the door.
    Avoid the ham sandwiches and crisps unless you like them stale).
    includig the lollies and the stale grub
    My favourite venue too !!
    You feel kinda special on that amazing dance floor and the plush red velour seats and great chandeliers

The Alley Cats are quite Rock 'n Roll, The Sentinels of Rhythm are a swing band.

Nice friendly crowd, as Mick said, they do get some muggles, but there are a few MJ & Swing (Lindy) dancers too.

Say hello to Graham & Ken (the organisers) from me - smashing guys and great dancers (Graham MJ, and Ken more Lindy)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I was just looking this up yesterday! I want to go to the one on the 21st of this month but it seems quite far for me to get to as I don't drive! (Is there anyone in the NW London area who wants to go too and would want to travel together *hint hint* ) It looks awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    My favourite venue too !!
    You feel kinda special on that amazing dance floor and the plush red velour seats and great chandeliers
    too! I adore this venue - the floor, the seating, the bar and, especially, the ladies powder room. God, it would be wonderful to have a tango milonga there. [Edit: not a milonga in the powder room, I mean in the main room...]

We haven't been able to get to the Rivoli for years - I do remember the dancing and music being much more swing-based and it's hard to ask strangers to dance when you don't know what or if they dance. But, if you can go with Beo and/or other partners, I'd definitely recommend the experience.

Rachel
    Last edited by Rachel; 13th-June-2008 at 11:36 AM.

I went there quite regularly last summer, but have not been many times this year as it has clashed with other things.

You definitely have go there - once at least - to see and experience the place. If you can chat someone up to show you the room behind the stage go for it because it is absolutely beautiful.

Regarding the music, then as has been said in previous posts, some of it is a bit quick for normal modern jiving, although it is good to watch the people that can keep up with it - the lindy lot. Towards the end of the night when the muggles and band groupies have usually gone, there is a lot more room and pretty good music to be had.

Be warned - it gets absolutely boiling ! The 1930's decor is matched by 1930's air con - non-existent.

As Rachel says, you have to watch out who you ask to dance, as there are all sorts of dancers there. I was once turned down by a chap who said that we were "incompatible" because he danced ballroom jive and I danced Ceroc

The last few times I have been it has been very very busy and with a lot of the muggles standing around (and walking straight across) the dancefloor with drinks in their hands you need eyes in the back of your head. There is also a lot more alcohol consumed there than at normal dance venues. Even with these slightly negative points, I would still recommend that you give the place a go.

If the Rivoli is not a listed building it should be.

IMO Ceroc should be involved in the "save our ballrooms" movement, even, or perhaps particularly, if they are not used by Ceroc. There is potential for media exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnybunny View Post
    Be warned - it gets absolutely boiling ! The 1930's decor is matched by 1930's air con - non-existent.
    The last time I went, I turned up with only 2 hours of dancing left and still went through five shirts!! Also, it can get VERY busy, but as long as you take care and keep your dancing small, it is an amazing night. The venue is truly magical. It almost feels like stepping back 80 years when you walk in the door...
    Last edited by Filthy Monkey; 13th-June-2008 at 12:31 PM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    The last time I went, I turned up with only 2 hours of dancing left and still went through five shirts!! Also, it can get VERY busy, but as long as you take care and keep your dancing small, it is an amazing night. the venue is truly magical. It almost feels like stepping back 80 years when you walk in the door...

Is very different to the MJ staple, but I'd highly recommend it. Only been once but it was a magical night for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post

IMO Ceroc should be involved in the "save our ballrooms" movement, even, or perhaps particularly, if they are not used by Ceroc. There is potential for media exposure.
    Dance floors are disapearing like mad, and yet government policy is to get everyone excersising to fight obesity and oestriposis.

I nearly went to the Rivoli once, but something came up.

Must try and go.

We went in May having been ocassionally over the years. It is not a conventional MJ dance night.

The Rivoli building is a nostalgic experience in itself. All Flock wallpaper and chandeliers.

People tend to make an effort with their dress. The Lindy types in their gear and the rock n rollers in theirs.

There is usually about 25% muggles and you may well ask a non compatable dancer to dance but you can usually find something or someone to jig about with. I found someone I know as a tango partner and we had a great RnR dance.

The music tends to be a bit faster than we would expect but I just dance a bit less and watch a bit more.

Highly recommended.

Zuhal

Blog Entries

I'm thinking about making the trek over there tomorrow night for the first time.
    Anyone else going?

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I'm thinking about making the trek over there tomorrow night for the first time.
    Anyone else going?
    The band there tomorrow are worth the trip (The Sentinels)

With the cost of petrol at the mo, I will be am at Great Bookham (reasonably local)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I really would love to, but I'm demoing at Penge I'll see how the night goes and may pop in on the way home...

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Anyone else going?
    Recnad10 and some people from ISH are going. If I can sort out transport, I might go down just to watch.

Blog Entries

Plans changed. Maybe next time.

Thread Information