Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good video example of MJ musicality?

Re: Good video example of MJ musicality?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    And there you have it. Until we start awarding the marks for musicality ... or deducting marks for the lack of it ... competitions will be dominated by big/flash moves .... and thats not just a personal view, a number of judges have said similar things
    People fixate on the "big/flash moves" issue, but I don't think that's entirely fair[*]. I think the "keep the moves coming" and "don't screw up" factors are actually just as important; if nothing else, the big flash moves only take up a few seconds of dance time, but trying not to screw up affects your dancing for the entire track.

I also think the competition music is another factor; I find musicality at 120 bpm much easier than musicality at 150bpm.
    [*] Didn't Tom and Vicki win the Open (again) without much in the way of big, flash moves?

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    People fixate on the "big/flash moves" issue, but I don't think that's entirely fair[*]. I think the "keep the moves coming" and "don't screw up" factors are actually just as important; if nothing else, the big flash moves only take up a few seconds of dance time, but trying not to screw up affects your dancing for the entire track.
    Fair point .... I think what I was trying to say is that as long as 'musicality' doesn't appear to be a points winning approach, then competition couples will focus on the things that will win them the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Fair point .... I think what I was trying to say is that as long as 'musicality' doesn't appear to be a points winning approach, then competition couples will focus on the things that will win them the competition.

You have to focus on what will win the comp , if you want to enter a comp and win.

Basic maffs really.

There have been people enter comps, just to "showcase something different" - even if they breaks the rules... Which is all good, as long as they go in not expecting to win. Sometimes they do win even though it was not what the organisers planned.

Generally, if winning is your aim, you stick close to the rules/judging criteria.

You show "new stuff" - not seen before.. and have fun.

Win or lose, you are still a winner - coz you took part and had the b*lls to put your stuff out there.

Commercial Operator

Am posting this because I have been told it's "musical".

This is with the caveat that it's taken as 2 people letting go. It's not a performance, or a showcase. In fact, it's not even choreographed... It's just some freestyle at the end of a day's training.

Thread Information