Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community : What helps to make or break it.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Community : What helps to make or break it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    Well .... errrr .... yes, you're quite right really? I think I was simply using it to try to make a point!! In fact, the landlord seems to be telling the shop one thing and the restaurant something else.
    Ah outrage for the sake of outrage The landlord is in it for the money. I suppose the biggest problem here is going to be, if the landlord sells the shop, it may be difficult to get other premises if they can't afford a new lease. In which case, the community of organis veggie lovers need to put their money where their mouths are to help

I'd say that smaller communities are easier to build and maintain. I believe that studies seem to suggest that groups over 4-500 start to lose autonomy, and start becoming less safe.
    I always think of the community spirit that gave us street parties and whole communities holidaying in the same place - it used to happen you know I think your answer is here - communities can exist at a street by street level then an area, then a town etc...ultimately they are patriotic to their country. I think we've lost sight of community at the most local level with our artificially busy lives.

People certainly are more equal, however I don't see any government being able (or perhaps not willing) to behave selflessly. I see any major changes working from the bottom up, rather than top down.
    I think it has to appear to be possible at the top so that people make it work from the bottom - if you see what i mean

Yes, the media has brought us lots, especially in terms of information sharing, and building up of great reference material. However, it is also a source of great distraction, that allows us to escape from the real world, thus never having to interact with real people.
    Good point - the big problem with the popular social aspect of the web is its anonymity, you cant trust that these people are who they say they are . This, coupled with its impersonal aspects makes it a surreal, seemingly fictional, experience. On the web you are more likely to get abuse that you would never get in real life (yet sometimes if you respond in kind it then becomes personal) - real life is easier for sure This forum is a good example of a near crossover - a lot of people know others in real life, but the posters are a mix of people who have/have not met and the posting style differs a lot - from people who post idle thoughts in their head as "what ifs" (gus, etc...) , others who often take all comments as literal opinion (several people) and yet others who have a blanket "I'm better than you and will tell you so" posting style (er...) - in a real life informal conversation things would be sorted out much more amicably then they are in this world.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was in Beeston, at our local organic supermarket (about the size of a medium-sized standard shop). It seems that the next door restaurant wants to expand into this shop, when leases come up for renewal. End result? Beeston and the surrounding area will lose it's only real independant organic shop.
    On the other hand, there's more opportunity for eating out in an expanded - and presumably better - restaurant.

Not only is it a shop, but also a slightly social place, where people of similar (mostly organic) interests bump into each other and chat. This too will be lost.
    Being harsh, that's probably why it failed. Chatting doesn't bring in the spondoolies.

It seems that we are living in a world that values cheapness and budget prices above all else.
    Yes. Or, more precisely, "value".

And if community suffers, but can buy cheaper food, then that's a good thing!!
    It's a good thing if you can't afford expensive food, certainly.

Local shops, are being lost in favour of larger central Tescos and Asdas.
    Local pubs and post offices are disappearing.
    Small local schools, hospitals, police and fire stations seem to be centralising into new and 'better' ones [schools in particular]
    I'm not sure that all these trends are connected; I'm not even sure if all local shops are disappearing. Admittedly, Tescos is dominating the world - but that's because we as consumers choose to shop there.

It seems that local community centres are becoming less of a centre for community gathering as they once were.
    And I guess that I'd have to concede that with religion becoming less prominent in our lives, fewer people now meet at church.
    Lots of this is also to do with internet activity as well .... too much of a good thing, maybe?
    Pah, how can you say such a thing?

And so, what is the result? The quick witted, street-wise kids start ruling the neighbourhood by fear. Drugs and weapons are the dish of the day.
    Again, I'm not sure there's much of a connection between the trends and the outcome. You're making a correlation which may not be accurate.

Where does it all end? Or am I talking total tripe? Maybe community has no real importance in today's world.
    "Community" has different meanings to different people. This forum is a community, but most of us never physically meet. Which is probably a good thing, all in all.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd say that smaller communities are easier to build and maintain. I believe that studies seem to suggest that groups over 4-500 start to lose autonomy, and start becoming less safe.
    Interesting. Sounds plausible.

I wonder if anyone's done the same studies for Internet communities? (They must have, you can get funding for all sorts of ridiculous studies now). Hmmm.... better close the doors on this place after member 3,999 joins then

Seriously, the perception that an online community isn't "real" is a social problem. Government and other authorities spends endless hours lecturing us about how we should behave in public, but are completely silent about how we should behave online. I'm not aware of anyone in authority saying anything about Troll-like behaviour, for example.

Luckily, I'm the absolute model of decorum.

Community Building on the Web:Companion Site

A web site from someone that builds on-line communities. Some interesting reading.

Thread Information