Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is London still the Mecca for dance?

Re: Is London still the Mecca for dance?

Just re-read my posts and realised they are confusing! I wrote the first one this afternoon when I was in London, which is why I said 'down here' when I was talking about London, and wrote my last post this evening in Glasgow, so was 'up here' at the time

I don't believe that the number of people who win in a ceroc competition equates to that state having better dancers overall than other states. I'd say it's more a measure of how passionate that state is about the dance style and their interest to compete. I watched the competition Martin was referring to - and I was surprised at the lack of dancers from Melbourne and even New Zealand at this year's competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Speaking of external role models - are you going to the NZ Ceroc Wellington Weekender in October?

I will be coming over to do a triples workshop, which should be lots of fun - also a couple of very well respected UK teachers (who happen to post on this forum) will be doing some teaching.

I hope to catch up with you then if you are going
    Sadly not at present. Money, time and family are all conspiring against me these days

On the plus side, I’ll be catching up with at least one of those teachers when she’s in Auckland waiting for the other one to show up

I have family in Brisbane I might try to visit in the next couple of years. I don’t suppose that’s anywhere near your patch Martin?

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    I don't believe that the number of people who win in a ceroc competition equates to that state having better dancers overall than other states. I'd say it's more a measure of how passionate that state is about the dance style and their interest to compete. I watched the competition Martin was referring to - and I was surprised at the lack of dancers from Melbourne and even New Zealand at this year's competition.
    As I said "I only used the latest champs results as a handy measure - champs are not everything, but it does give a crude overall guide."

The interesting thing, being the lack of Sydney dancers taking out the top trophies.

Rather like watching the Rugby - one state might have a lot of good players, but unless they compete against another state - who knows where the best rugby players are.

When I hit Aussie shores, Gold Coast did not have Ceroc, Melbourne was in it's infantcy (I think LeBop had started, but Ceroc Melbourne was just about to start), Perth was a joke. Since then these areas have produced VERY good dancers.

The results of the champs made me think - maybe other states are now "contenders".

I then equated that to the UK, where London had all the good dancers with one or two exceptions. I then wondered if this has changed a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    Sadly not at present. Money, time and family are all conspiring against me these days
    To save on the money side, I know there are a few locals happy to put people up - if you contact the organisers.
    Even if you book in just for the 3 nights of dancing - I am sure it will be a lot of fun.
    So it just comes down to a bit of petrol and some cash for the dances

On the plus side, I’ll be catching up with at least one of those teachers when she’s in Auckland waiting for the other one to show up
    You lucky thing

I have family in Brisbane I might try to visit in the next couple of years. I don’t suppose that’s anywhere near your patch Martin?
    Ya know it is - 1 hour drive south, or a train down south.
    I'll be happy to take you out for a dance and a beer...

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    That may be true, but the fact that you like dancing with them , whatever the reason, doesn't necessarily make them good dancers. They may be good, but it's not the strongest of arguments. For all we know, they could be your favourites just because they've got great boobs and a hot wiggle! I'm from Glasgow, but because of work I split my week between Glasgow and London, so I am lucky enough to have a lot of experience of both areas. There are a lot of people in Glasgow and Edinburgh I like dancing with, but when it comes to style and ability I personally find that there are more people of a higher standard in London.
    I'll bow to your greater experience of Scottish dancing than mine - which is basically two Blaze weekenders plus whoever I see at Southport, etc - but ultimately it's a silly argument as it's all subjective. What I consider to be a 'good' dancer is likely to be different to you which in turn is likely different to the next person. The fact that I like dancing with them does make them a good dancer in my eyes, you may not agree but that's irrelevant to my opinion. The only partly objective measure of dance ability is competition results and those say nothing about social dance ability.

I'll be checking to see if these Scots that I like have great boobs and a hot wiggle the next time we're dancing

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I'm not saying that Scottish people can't dance. I've had some great times up here, but in my experience there are more people at a higher level in London than in Glasgow or Edinburgh.
    Well, there are simply more people that dance in London so there are bound to be more people 'at a higher level' and also more people 'at a lower level'

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    I can't comment on Aberdeen, as I haven't danced there yet, but maybe I'll come back and update this after the Beach Ballroom weekender
    Well, we have produced some of the better dancers on the scene.. even if they all desert us
    Hancock started up here (now on the WCS side), as did BTC Bill (now an independent I believe). Sal, Caro and soon Freya have all deserted us. But we've still got Lisa, and Lorna teaching and for a little while longer Emma now & again. The Fitzes and Yvonne and a few other treasured dancers also started up here. And of course Tramp has been known to grace the floor (when he's not falling to bits ).

We also get the occasional visit from some of the Dundee lot. We also have a few fledgling dancers that are showing promise of being rather good.

And me. But that may be a reason to stay away rather than anything else

We don't have as big a pool to draw upon as Glasgow/Edinburgh(/London), but I think we hold our own.

What seems to come back from the posts so far, is that London is still the mecca.

Despite boobs, holding your own etc...

There are obviously great dancers in various regions now... who should be respected in what they do.

The "hot bed" from what I understand so far is still London.

Thread Information