Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleep issues

Re: Sleep issues

I've never suffered from sleep paralysis thankfully........it sounds awful.

I do suffer terribly from night terrors though, however I can usually keep the demons away with half a bottle of Jamesons

Nocturnal brain activity fascinates me.........once I had a dream that I was eating two great big marshmallows, and when I woke up, the pillows had gone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    I'd fallen asleep with my arm in a funny angle underneath me, and with my hand right in front of my face. I then half woke, and could sense the hand in front of my face, but because the arm had gone numb and lifeless after being crushed underneath me, I thought it belonged to someone else! I was completely freaked out - thought I was trapped inside my own body unable to move, in bed with someone elses chopped off arm....... Nice!
    too much imagination!

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post

Has anyone had their dreams analysed?
    i have several dream books, i stopped looking up my dreams when they all said bad things, that was before my life changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
    I've never suffered from sleep paralysis thankfully........it sounds awful.

I do suffer terribly from night terrors though, however I can usually keep the demons away with half a bottle of Jamesons
    is that when you have had a good week

I had a brilliant (I can say that now!) one when staying with a friend in Edinburgh. I thought I had woken up and two aliens (grey, big eyes etc) were at the end of the bed. Tried to scream, but my voice wouldn't come out. Tried to move, but I was stuck to the bed. Finally restored mobility, sprang upright, shouting 'Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!'. The whole house came running into the room at 3am wondering what the hell was going on. Luckily, I realised it wasn't real or I'd probably be writing to Fortean Times to tell them about an attempted alien abduction

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Sleep paralysis is horrible - I've had it too! I also used to get night terrors quite a lot: in the morning it looked like I'd wrestled with a tornado - the bedlinen would be half off, and I occasionally found myself inside the duvet cover!!

One particular time I had sleep paralysis was extremely nasty. I'd fallen asleep with my arm in a funny angle underneath me, and with my hand right in front of my face. I then half woke, and could sense the hand in front of my face, but because the arm had gone numb and lifeless after being crushed underneath me, I thought it belonged to someone else! I was completely freaked out - thought I was trapped inside my own body unable to move, in bed with someone elses chopped off arm....... Nice!
    Nasty about the chopped off arm..

I too have woken up inside the duvet cover not entirely sure how I got in there.. best thing was my boyfriend at the time who was asleep in the same bed had no idea how I got like that either!

I remember once telling a friend all about my dream when they stayed over.. they found it highly amusing and the next day I was so shocked when they knew all about my dream etc !

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    I sometimes get this too and when I was little it used to terrify me. Its a horrible feeling not being able to move, really scary.
    Does anyone dream that they are running but can't seem to get anywhere ?
    Has anyone had their dreams analysed?
    so glad that a lot of other people have this sleep paralysis thing.. it did scare me I know that..

never had dreams analysed.. i know i can wake up the next day convinced they are real tho and i have on numerous occasions been unable to shake the feelings left after them... once i was so mad with a friend that i couldn't bear to look at them all day.. all because they had left me in mcdonalds with a shopping trolley.. love ya babe

i did have tablets once to shut my brain down when i slept but they left me zombie-fied the next day...

guess i will just have to live with my sleep demons!

thanx everyone tho for making me feel partially normal

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    If I get a start during the night, if I'm woken up suddenly then I do tend to scream , cry and resort to what Twirly refers to as my "Duvet Defence".. I.e. hiding under the blanket
    Discovered this one at Southport... came in the early hours of Monday morning, quietly as possible. Gently opened the bedroom door, Beo woke up, looked terrified, then hid under the duvet So guess who will be dealing with intruders if we get any?

Although he did do his best in Amsterdam... we were sound asleep, when this hammering started on the door. I incorporated it into some weird dream I was having and didn't wake up to start with. Then managed to wake up and figure out that there wasn't a fire after all, and concluded that someone was trying to break the door down (it was very loud and insistent, they were yelling - quite terrifying) to rob us. However in the meantime, my hero, having got through the screaming/crying/hiding phase but not being totally awake, sans glasses and clutching the duvet to his rippling torso (leaving me starkers in bed - thanks!) stumbled to the door to find two girls who it seems had got the wrong room...

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    At least I've not partaken of any noctunal walks at Twirly's .. at least not that I know of
    Still got that one to look forward to...

Don't tend to do much nowadays, but used to sleep talk. Also, once when staying at a youth camp aged about 14, managed, in a sleeping bag and on the bottom bunk of bunk beds, to turn myself around in the middle of the night and woke up with my feet on the pillow - very disorientating! Also went sleep walking once, the night before my English language O-level exam (hah! that dates me), fell down the stairs and broke my left arm... (yes, falling down stairs, there is a theme here). Still passed the exam though

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    Just wondering has anyone else had this? or am I a complete fruit loop....
    OMG...! I thought I was going mad, as this has happened to me once before years ago. I woke up and could not move or speak for what seemed like about 2 minutes. I'm so glad to hear it has happened to other people and that (as I thought at the time) I hadn't been temporarily paralysed by aliens.

...It was the eighties OK...there were a lot of mind alterning drugs about at the time.

I've not slept a wink since Sunday...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is not directly linked to 'sleep' paralysis but I've had two horrible and very frightening experiences which I'll never get over..

I had to have an emergency operation once, where there was no time to give me a pre-med. The op was on my tummy and apparently, its normal to be given stuff to paralyze you, while your under the anesthetic.

The thing was, I WOKE UP before the paralyzing stuff had worn off thank god they'd finished operating but I still had all the tubes down my throat and they were doing 'stuff' to me and talking about me but I couldn't even blink, to let them know

I'm not sure how long it was before I could move anything but I remember being able to move my eyes and my index finger first and one VERY 'on the ball' nurse noticed and informed everyone and they were all tried their best to be very reassuring.

I literally had nightmares over that for weeks and weeks after.

The second thing that happened to me was...

I was in hospital (again) after having another op and was experiencing quite a bit of cramping pain, so the nurse gave me an injection of a muscle relaxant called 'Buscopan'.
    A couple of minutes later, I was struggling to read my magazine, my vision had gone very blurry, then very rapidly I began to feel extremely odd. I pressed the buzzer and by the time the nurse came back, I couldn't even speak properly, I was slurring all my words.

A crash team arrived very swiftly and I had a large dose of some sort of antidote, which worked very quickly!

Apparently I had a severe and rare reaction to the drug and now have to state I'm allergic to Buscopan, whenever I ask for over the counter drugs!

So,I do sympathize, I know just how frightening it can be
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I thought that by being honest I was opening myself up to ridcule and the standard jokes.

Nice to know I am not the only one - even though it was some time ago
    Martin I don’t think people mean to take the P.I.S.S , having sleep dis orders ain’t funny

Drink gave a few mornings of short term (1/2 mins) total paralysis when I woke

Stop before seeing the white Elephants though

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    The thing was, I WOKE UP before the paralyzing stuff had worn off thank god they'd finished operating but I still had all the tubes down my throat and they were doing 'stuff' to me and talking about me but I couldn't even blink, to let them know
    I had a similar thing of being awake and not able to move at an operating table.
    In a Hockey match my nose developed an S shape to it, due to someones enthusiastic use of a hockey stick at full swing.

At the hospital, they "put me out" but I was still with it, but I could not move.

I was aware of the whole operation to straighten my nose... but was unable to talk or let them know.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    I've not slept a wink since Sunday...
    Finally got 8 hours sleep after 65 hours being awake.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Finally got 8 hours sleep after 65 hours being awake.
    Have you been in 'weekender' mode?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Bringing up the subject of Somniloquy , somnambulism and general parasomnia issues (that's Sleeptalking, sleepwalking and general disrupted sleep pattern problems in layman's terms) again.

Apparently I've started speaking in my sleep again 2 nights ago Twirly said I woke her up and uttered one word then rolled over again. Last night I apparently was stringing together long meaningless sentences.

Anyone got any tips to stop me revealing my deepest darkest secrets*?

(*like where I buried the bodies°)

(°actually probably more like the password for my new database program, or the mathematical formula behind it’s encryption system knowing me )

My youngest sister occasionally speaks in her sleep and she never remembers what she said.

I've never sleep walked or talk in my sleep that i know of In a few of my bizarre dreams when i nearly die i instantly wake up and never die.

Dreams do interest me.

Well.. all has been pretty quiet for me on the sleep front.. other than the other night when after consuming copious amounts of alcohol I was saying to my friend the next day about the murder in town that night... only when she looked at me very bizarrely did I think "oohhhhhhhh"

My waking up early with the daylight issue has been resolved. Blackout blind = WIN.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post
    My waking up early with the daylight issue has been resolved. Blackout blind = WIN.
    mmm, could be an idea! Could do with a few more ZZZ's

Thread Information