Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Special Needs

Re: Special Needs

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    There has been a dance studio in Australia called the "Merry Makers" who teach special needs people. They perform in Eisteddfords (dance comps) and for charity events as well.
    Co-incidentally I watched a documentary about them on TV last night - and it brought me to tears seeing how much dance has enriched their lives. And it's not just about the music and movement - but a large part is the discipline and focus that has assisted their development, as well as the social aspects dance provides.
    I've attached a link to this post in case anyone is interested in the studio. They did mention that they have a waiting list of people wanting to get into the dance studio because they try to keep the numbers down so they can focus on each individual. I applaud the ceroc venues who are inclusive of special needs folks.
    Merry Makers Australia

Great link - having checked out the web-site, how cool is that!

It did bring a tear to my eye when I looked at the "about us" link on this site, to discover the founder died of cancer, but an 18 year old stepped up to the plate and continues the fantastic work teaching dance.

The list of sponsours is also well cool - it is great that they have so much support.

On the home page, the photos that scroll though are worth a look - made me smile, thinking of the effort put into the costumes and the obvious commitment to performing

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Great link - having checked out the web-site, how cool is that!

It did bring a tear to my eye when I looked at the "about us" link on this site, to discover the founder died of cancer, but an 18 year old stepped up to the plate and continues the fantastic work teaching dance.

The list of sponsours is also well cool - it is great that they have so much support.

On the home page, the photos that scroll though are worth a look - made me smile, thinking of the effort put into the costumes and the obvious commitment to performing

They were on Andrew Denton last night - if you can get your hands on the doco it would be well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    They were on Andrew Denton last night - if you can get your hands on the doco it would be well worth it.
    I found a brief summary here... Enough Rope with Andrew Denton - ABC TV - 'Everyone has a story'

So thanks for that - there are 2 vids, one follows on from the other - by the end of the second vid

The vid is the current one that comes up on the site - if anyone wants a look.

Thanks Saligal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    On a serious not though, Im not good around special needs people and i have always had the greatest respect for people that can deal with people that need a little more patience to be around.

I am ashamed to admit that i do fail miserably in that department. I feel awkward and uncomfortable. My problem not theirs.
    Your problem is probably the same as everyone else's that feels this way. You're so busy thinking about how to treat people with special needs that it makes you feel worried about getting it wrong. In doing so, you've completely missed the point. The vast majority of people with special needs want to be treated the same as everyone else.

You haven't treated my son any different to all the other kids on the few occasions you've met him, and guess what? No problems. OK, so he has a mild form of Asperger's Syndrome, but the point is that if you tried to treat him differently to the other kids, he'd notice and then you'd see how difficult an AS child really can be.

Don't worry about it, treat them as you would anyone else, but be aware of any difficulties they may have.

Sorry for the 2 long posts - my thread !

Wow - thanks for all the great positive responses !

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    In short, I think the pleasure your special needs dancers get from your venue is far outweighed by the business you might lose by people who feel uncomfortable.
    That could work either way - not sure how you weigh one against the other - apples/oranges, chalk/cheese ... I don't think you can put a price on it!

As long as people-put-off have somewhere else to go, and the venue/night survives well enough, it shouldn't be any more of a problem than, say, people who want (or object violently to) rock'n'roll music and hand/body bouncing (see other threads ...)! Around here, many venues/nights are less-than-packed : largely due to "more supply than demand", I suspect. Busking, media, spam campaigns have little lasting effect.

That environment could encourage evolutionary diversity, where different venues/nights develop distinct characteristics, as niches evolve, and like-minded people discover each other and congregate in their preferred environments. Could be an interesting sociological thesis there ... As someone puts it "We could get a reputation !". That could work either way - the ambiguity could work in our favour - it might even be a good reputation ?

In marketing terms, delivering a different service to different 'market segments' can make a great deal of sense: maybe a night/venue catering more for the 'advanced' tricky/choreographed/signalled/showy/competitive/risky moves, and another for the simpler/freestyling/leadable/fun/partnership/safe/flow-experience/intuitive moves ? That could 'naturally select' the highly-technical 'snooty double-preppers' from the "it's easy - anyone can do it" schools. There is a risk of beginning an 'evolutionary fork' that ends up with two quite separate species that can't get together and 'interbreed'. We would have to keep uniting at freestyles and weekenders for that ! Even being a hard-nosed commercial Gradgrind, maybe we actually need to diversify into an untapped niche market - the "special pound" !

I don't suggest the fork has really begun, although there may be signs. I almost put the word /technical/ in the first list, but even /simple/ moves need simple technique, IMO. 'Ceroc Lite' ?

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    "i will never prejudge anybody again."
    True - conversely, some really fit athletic hotties, that have solo danced and played music for years really struggle !

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    problem ... was the moving around in the lines during the lesson
    Maybe if we suggest they could "bring a partner", and make a fixed line anyway ? That may help the ratio (M/F too) and [cynic] the takings on the door [/cynic] !
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    a right good mix

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    I always used distinct words or phrases to describe each section of the move, and used them repeatedly.
    I think it is a mistake if we miss out the name of the move on each repetition of the 'to a count' or 'to music'. It certainly simplifies the 'chant' for 'from the top to music' ! [geek]Handles for sub-routines[/geek]

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    minor teething problems
    The one person who chooses no longer to dance with us doesn't seem to have been missed, the 'special' guys more than fill the void...
    Thanks - that's encouraging - I think we have enough people of the right sort to cope.

To be continued ...

..... continued

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I am ashamed to admit that i do fail miserably in that department.
    I think we all do, at first - it sounds as though you aren't running away, but ready to try - I guess that's the first step. I don't think it's all that hard really. I'm just starting, too - hence the thread.

I did a 3-day 'Diversity Awareness' course at work - mostly LGBT/race. It was a bit of an eye-opener, but most valuable. Even after 3 days, I think we would have failed a practical test ! 'Act normally' is good avice, but 'Try really hard to act as if it is normal' probably isn't ! Like "Don't mention the War" in Fawlty Towers !

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    right to refuse
    Yes, I think that is general advice to foster an open welcoming supportive environment/culture, rather than a rule that could be intimidating in itself. Else we lose stalkees rather than stalkers. We generally say 'medical reasons are valid excuses - exhaustion, dehydration, temperature, injury, lavatorial necessity'. I suppose it is to encourage people to ask, rather than to force people to accept - hence shouldn't be strict. See other threads for detailed discussion. I might make a face or use body language if 'rejected', but good-humouredly. I am less likely to ask them again, but they probably welcome that. Maybe saying "Everybody asks everybody" is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    I feel partly responsible for this
    Don't worry, I think we're coping fine really.
    Stephen is quite popular with the ladies.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend slowing down the teaching
    I suspect there may be a slight natural tendency, which might favour simpler second lessons, too, in time - we might pick up some of the people that struggle with the second lesson at the other local venue, too. Simplicity and clarity can't be bad, but not longer lessons. Maybe the beginner/intermediate gap might become a distinct market segment ? That could be a positive strategy ! Not that I would suggest 'poaching'... .

I would love so much to take my brother out dancing but daren't do it because he would immediately latch onto the prettiest girl in the venue, wouldn't let her go and would get very irate with me if I disturbed him.
    Sounds perfectly normal bloke, give or take a little shyness, to me !

My brother, for example, is very well aware that he differs in some way from other people (though he's not sure 'how'), and spends his entire life trying to act as if he was the same as them - to the extent that he has created a fantasy world in his head which includes girlfriends ...
    I really empathise with that, too - too like me for comfort, but I put it down to 'motorism' ! I know nothing about your brother, but I think there is no distinct onset or sharp borderline with some conditions. Very mild Autism or Asperger's may not be noticeable, and even give some surprising symptoms - ie some wonderfully gifted musicians like David Helfgott, Derek Paravicini who really defy simplistic definitions of ability, and are probably hard to diagnose - hence the term 'spectrum'.

... they will not think with the same logic or rational as the rest of us.
    As a Taxi I sometimes wonder if people who really struggle with the partner aspect of dancing might have a very slight tendency to a mild personality disorder of some kind. You really just have to be sensitive and accept people for who they are, and be very careful. Often expressions, gestures and other body language are safer than verbal feedback or instruction (except with paranoia?). Mental differences can be less obvious than physical ones - beware.

In fact, does anyone know anyone who is actually totally 'normal', apart from themself, of course ?

So I do think that the carer needs to take a lot of responsibility.
    Will talk to them more ...

I like the idea of offering a one-off special event outside of Ceroc
    Will talk to them more ...

I sincerely hope that they can continue with the dancing ... the world will be a better place.
    I found a brief summary here... Enough Rope with Andrew Denton - ABC TV - 'Everyone has a story'

Thanks Saligal
    Most inspiring ! Again Downs & Dance works.

I vaguely remember something SN happening at the Castle Theatre, Wellingborough last June - a group called "Dance Dangerous".
    Northants Art Development looks like a useful resource !

I'll let you know how we get on.

[QUOTE=Martin;478347]I cannot remember seeing anyone with special needs at classes, but I have danced with a lady who was in a wheelchair and it was a lot of fun.QUOTE]

There used to be a lady who attended Chermside classes (I don't know whether she still attends) who had a problem with her left arm & wrist & also a bit with her ankles. The intermediate classes were a bit difficult for her, but I think she used to enjoy the beginner lesson.

Martin mentioned dancing with someone in a wheelchair; are there any regular dancers with physical special needs. Double Trouble works fine with a single arm per follower, so I suppose there is no real reason why say an arm amputee couldn't dance very proficiently.

[QUOTE=SteveK;479254]
    Double Trouble works fine with a single arm per follower, so I suppose there is no real reason why say an arm amputee couldn't dance very proficiently.
    Not only that - I've met one who could swim very proficiently!

Admittadly he needed a counter-weight prosthetic as his arm had been amputated at the shoulder, but he wasn't what I'd call slow in the water and the man never seemed to get tired

This is a heartwarming thread and I wish I had something useful to contribute but my only experience is with a few students with relatively mild Aspergers syndrome and since this is characterized by a love of repetition and a desire to get things right as well as a phenomenal, if selective memory, then there should not be a problem! In fact I know someone like this who I consider to be a very promising dancer. There is also a certain old fashioned courtesy apparent in those young people I have met. The only problem would be if things were done incorrectly (ie. teachers confusing their left and right!) or if moves were inadequately explained. Also, there is an unflinching honesty so if you ask for an opinion you might not like what you hear! However, judging by the poll on autism and comments made on this thread, mild Aspergers is not that uncommon on the dance scene!

P.S. I can now understand why Rachel is one of the most empathetic people I have ever met !

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    P.S. I can now understand why Rachel is one of the most empathetic people I have ever met !
    Thank you, Diana, that's a lovely comment! Though I still have a long way to go and a lot of self-improvement to make. For example, I don't get to see my brother nearly as much as I'd like. Mostly because I'm, um, not exactly close to my parents (with whom he lives) and they have made it very difficult for me to come and stay overnight with them. However, with typical parental contradictoriness, if I happen to be in the area and don't stay overnight, that also causes offence. You know how it is when nothing you do is right ...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Martin mentioned dancing with someone in a wheelchair; are there any regular dancers with physical special needs....
    Fred, who uses a wheelchair, is very well known in the Ceroc scene and dances all over the place, including weekenders and competitions. He's got a really snazzy althletic chair and it's great fun dancing with him - really interesting finding out which moves we can do, what works best, and how to get that chair spinning round as fast as we can!

R. x

Its lovely to see how welcoming most people are in dancing to include a diversity of people. I can understand that somepeople feel a little uncomfortable, and this is common if you have not had much contact with people of special needs and the best thing to do to feel more confident is ask them to dance.

I would be very against adapting standard dance classes as it makes people stand out. They can alway choose to do the lesson fixed partner with a carer if they wish. I also think that people consider treating people differently only because they can observe differences in these people. Dancing is very diverse and full of people with lots of different non observable disabilities and gifts which may or may not affect their dancing. For instance i might not realise that if i was dancing with somebody who was struggling a bit that they had dyspraxia. Hopefully dancers can continue to welcome and support everyone who wants to dance.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fred, who uses a wheelchair, is very well known in the Ceroc scene and dances all over the place, including weekenders and competitions. He's got a really snazzy althletic chair and it's great fun dancing with him - really interesting finding out which moves we can do, what works best, and how to get that chair spinning round as fast as we can!
    Is he the one who had his chair all pimped-up for a Xmas party a while back, with lights etc?

It looked really cool

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Is he the one who had his chair all pimped-up for a Xmas party a while back, with lights etc?

It looked really cool
    Sounds like Fred!!

He's quite a handy man on the side ... (see Fred's Shed) - 'a connoisseur of fine tools and equipment'

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    One of the things I have learned about special needs children is that often music and dancing will reach them when, in extreme cases, little else will get through. I carried some large cardboard rolls, as used for rolls of material, into school with no idea at all why. One of the pupils recognised me, pointed to them excitedly and said what sounded like "Bally high". It transpired they are to be a native hut in "South Pacific" their end of term show. Their end of term musicals are a joy and an inspiration.
    Dancing to music is psychically healing for even the most mentally and physically fit dancer, so it is especially helpful to us lesser mortals.

Although I don't encounter this that often, I would like to express how wonderful some of the Forumites are towards people with special needs. It takes a special kind of person to respond to these people.

Full marks to any organisers and teachers who put together special events to highlight the causes

best
    johnnyman

Hi All
    Thanks for the responses and encouragment
    We seem to have settled down to two regulars - not a problem. In fact Stephen is really funny when he comes out of his shell - and I am gradually becoming more certain that he is aware of the situation and playing it for laughs !

If you are in the London area (or Cambodia !) and are interested in the area of dance and disability, I would recommend contacting 'Epic Arts'.

I met some of them running a workshop 'Integrated Dance' at an Arts festival. They were exploring the mime/dance boundary/overlap to show how to use movement-as-expression to cross communication barriers. At least that is what I got out of it, anyway! It may well have worked on other levels, too. Excellent, and great fun.

Epic Arts is founded on the christian faith;
    love and acceptance are integral to our work, with people of all backgrounds and all faiths.
    The latter sounds just like this Forum !
    They have changed/derived their slogan from 'Every Person Is Counted' to 'Every person counts'.

Hope this helps !

Thread Information