0 0%
  • The same split as at Southport June 2008

2 7.41%
  • More 'Blues Music'.

25 92.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best 'Blues Music' / 'WCS Music' split - Blues Lounge - Southport

Re: Best 'Blues Music' / 'WCS Music' split - Blues Lounge - Southport

Why can't the Southport blues room become a silent disco - one where everyone has headphones tuned into either a blues DJ/station or a WCS DJ/station, so everyone can be happy? There might need to be some kind of coloured wristbands for which station you're listening to at the time ... but wouldn't that be the way forward?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Absolutely superb...I almost applauded at the end of that clip..jazz/blues piano at its best

Many people the fast majority Id suggest would want blues music in a blues room

Im not sure that you can call it bitching

Southport for me is still miles above any other weekender but Im not sure why some people dont like it if we make any comments about what we would like to see changed (In this case back to what it was)

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    sorry, this is getting stupid now ............ is there a boring smilie

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    I am with you on this 1 Minnie this bitching about the Blues and WCS music is ruining the whole after feel of the weekend, it has taken over the forum.

I for 1 have had enought of it .

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    OK - granted the majority of the blues music I play would fit what you're talking about, what I'm curious about is whether you'd fit some of the less - um - traditionally structured tracks that I play into this category.

Examples: Gene Harris' Summertime (much loved by many advanced lindy folk) or Slow Blues from Oscar Peterson / Count Basie. Both incredble tracks to dance to.
    Or, for a possibly more extreme example, Cecom, which fits into the I-know-it's-amazing-to-dance-to-but-I've-never-dared-spin-it category. One day.... some day.... I'll manage to work it into a set. Maybe....
    Loved Summertime - would think it's too slow for many though. Slow Blues was more of my taste (and Cecom too wacky for me). I could list lots of tracks that DJs play that I love in the Blues Room, I have about 90 of these on a playlist on the iPod that I've assembled by shamelessly copying ideas from people such as Dance Demon and CJ (almost sorry guys). Snow White probably plays my favourite track for Blues which is called Le Ballet by Celine Dion (YouTube - CELINE DION-LE BALLET), but I also love Popa Chubby's Sweat or She Said the Evil Was Her NAme, and U2's 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' (YouTube - If You Wear That Velvet Dress - U2 ft Jools Holland). And for dancing with Trouble - Night Prowler by AC/DC YouTube - AC/DC - Night Prowler.

What makes a good blues track for me? I'm sometimes looking for slow, then not so slow. I want lots of attitude and atmosphere, maybe a feeling that in a less politically correct world it would be something I'd listen to in a smoky jazz club, but other times lighter. Probably what makes it so hard for DJ's to figure it out is that depending on our mood we want different things. All I do know is that this time round in Southport I did not get enough of whatever this is, except for perhaps Dance Demon's Sunday set in particular which I loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    Why can't the Southport blues room become a silent disco - one where everyone has headphones tuned into either a blues DJ/station or a WCS DJ/station, so everyone can be happy? There might need to be some kind of coloured wristbands for which station you're listening to at the time ... but wouldn't that be the way forward?
    Love this idea - and to make it even more interesting you should only be allowed to dance with a partner with a different wrist-band

Thread Information