Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: But Stokie... it's tooooo far!!!!!

Cool But Stokie... it's tooooo far!!!!!

But Stokie... it's tooooo far!!!!! So begins Twirlie's rebuttal about my choice of venues for the weekend's dancing.

Now, following on from this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Forster View Post
    Traveling time versus freestyle time is always an issue. Although we have a reasonably late finish at Rugby (12.40ish), we have the option to start earlier than the usual 8pm start........
    This is more than a bit of an issue for Twirlie Bird and me. With very little in the way of good dance venues in our area we are forced to travel if we wish to dance. I know that I am more of a dance slut than Twirlie - I tend not to look so much at travel times. But Twirlie has a rule that she won't spend longer in the car than on the dance floor....... although concession will be made for more than one room, favorite DJs, other dancers that have confirmed they're going, etc.

What is your rule of thumb for how far is too far?

What will sway you to bend the rules?

Re: But Stokie... it's tooooo far!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    What will sway you to bend the rules?
    Half a curly wurly and the promise of at least one dance with you.

Don't like to travel more than 1 .5 hours each way (total of 3 hours) cos of rising petrol costs etc and usually travelling alone (or if with Donna she sleeps and I am more or less alone.. sorry babe but luv ya really...)...

depends on venue tho but common sense has to kick in at some point.. even tho I consider myself a fellow dance slut too!

Usually Nottingham / Derby are my limits South wise.. don't tend to go North very often..... If I want to go further I usually enlist friends to travel with / sleep over with! Makes for a better night usually to share with friends anyways

I am with Caz - about one and a half hours each way is about my limit. Luckily I am pretty spoilt for good venue choices here in and around the east Midlands.

It's never too far in my book, but the petrol prices are a killer, and I am noticing the difference in my budget. Still it wont put me off going to a good freestyle far away, and there are a few of us who get together and pool the petrol money. If its a long way say London, Cambridge etc then we do stay over, and make a weekend of it. Lucky that we have good friends who can offer to put us all up. I am always met by someone who says to me in horror ' GOD you travel for your dancing' and I am a bit stunned really, because I think that everyone thinks like me, clearly not!!.

Its good to do something mad everynow and again, and the other week I had been trying to get a ticked for the Burton on Trent ball. Got a call from Fletch who said she'd got me a ticket, it was 7pm so off I went on the spur of the moment,got there for around 9pm, danced I think until 1am, went for a kebab afterwards with everyone, had a great time. Fletch very kindly put me up at her house, so lovely that I didn't have to drive back again, thank you hun.

Caz you always welcome to stay with me if you fancy a dance in Northwest.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

I'm probably with Twirlie on this one, I don't like to travel too far unless of course I have somewhere to stay, but again am swayed by other elements, dj, other attendees etc

Other than practicalities (like leaving work first), distance hasn't stopped me yet, and between 1 and 1.5 hours isn't unusual for me (which does cover a fair range of venues). I've certainly got used to spending more time driving as I've got to appreciate certain venues over others - convenience is no longer a factor!

The further I go, the more certain I'd want to be that it's going to be a good night, but there's no such thing as too far. I've driven 800-1000 miles just for a weekend before (once dancing, once not).

Sean

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    I've driven 800-1000 miles just for a weekend before (once dancing, once not).
    I've done that 3 times this year already....! Though, of course, I was working at the dance events.

I've driven Dundee - Doncaster on the spur of the moment for a nights freestyle. That's gotta be about 300 miles each way. But we were mad then!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    I've done that 3 times this year already....! Though, of course, I was working at the dance events.

I've driven Dundee - Doncaster on the spur of the moment for a nights freestyle. That's gotta be about 300 miles each way. But we were mad then!
    Mad...that's surely an understatement!

From here people regularly travel over 100 miles each way for a night's freestyle - not much choice in that if you actually want to dance more than just the class night. We usually cram as many as possible into a vehicle to split petrol costs.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

when living in scotland i often traveled from paisley to dundee (about 2 hrs ish) for 2 hrs dancing and then drive back either that night or stayed over and up at 5:30am to get ready and drive to work in glasgow.

The longer the frestyle the further I am prepared to drive..

As a confirmed freestyle junky I will travel many hours for a long night of dancing.

I have driven from Worthing straight after work to Daventry freestylyed till 2 am and driven home getting in at 6 am.

Also done Worthing to Weston SuperMare for a 0200 finish dancing and then driven back straight after for work next afternoon.

Well worth every hour

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Twirlie has a rule that she won't spend longer in the car than on the dance floor...
    Yeah, that's pretty much my rule, if I'm car-sharing.
    If travelling alone, less than that.

Blog Entries

I never used to like travelling very far but now we know more and more lovely forumites who are more than willing to put us up, we are quite happy to travel anywhere. I do like to hunt down where the best dancers are now a days. I like to find the place a group of friends are going where we are guaranteed a great social night as well as lots of memorable/great dances.

So, in short, i will go anywhere, anytime, anyplace that leads to the pleasures given from the dance world as long as there is a pillow and a bed i can borrow as i drag my ass to it aching from head to foot but happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I never used to like travelling very far but now we know more and more lovely forumites who are more than willing to put us up, we are quite happy to travel anywhere. I do like to hunt down where the best dancers are now a days. I like to find the place a group of friends are going where we are guaranteed a great social night as well as lots of memorable/great dances.

So, in short, i will go anywhere, anytime, anyplace that leads to the pleasures given from the dance world as long as there is a pillow and a bed i can borrow as i drag my ass to it aching from head to foot but happy.
    10,000 miles too far?

Pillow and bed available

I have made a decision to try and travel less, although my next 3 weeks are already organised and include plenty of miles, I am going to make a big effort to reduce my mileage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    10,000 miles too far?

Pillow and bed available
    Just might take you up on that my man... xxxx

Blog Entries

I did a four hour drive from Great Yarmouth to Derby for a 6 hour freestyle, then drove the four hours back again.
    I thought it was well worth it at the time, but I don't think I'd do it now. The fact is that I don't need to drive that far for a good freestyle any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I did a four hour drive from Great Yarmouth to Derby for a 6 hour freestyle, then drove the four hours back again.
    I thought it was well worth it at the time, but I don't think I'd do it now. The fact is that I don't need to drive that far for a good freestyle any more.
    hehehe...! That reminds me. You once drove from Norwich to Waltham Abbey to sit on my sofa on your own for an hour, then drive back.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I have made a decision to try and travel less, although my next 3 weeks are already organised and include plenty of miles, I am going to make a big effort to reduce my mileage.
    any reason, or you just want to stay local.... does that knock your trip to NI on the head?

Thread Information