Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WCS intro / masterclass discussion

WCS intro / masterclass discussion

Moved from the "Who's going where" thread - DB

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Really?
    The very lovely Adam Brown is doing it.

Easily the worlds best freestyle event by the way.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 4th-June-2008 at 10:45 AM.

Re: Who's going where? Weekend 6th/7th/8th June 2008

With Adam taking the masterclass can we assume that WCS is on the CTA syllabus now? Or is it better to keep it in the family regardless of someone's ability to dance & teach a style of dance? (I don't wish to comment specifically on Adam as I have never seen him dance or teach WCS nor heard it mentioned that he dances it but I am sure there are more experienced and well recognised CTA qualified instructors who could have been invited to take that class)
    Last edited by robd; 3rd-June-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    With Adam taking the masterclass can we assume that WCS is on the CTA syllabus now? Or is it better to keep it in the family regardless of someone's ability to dance & teach a style of dance? (I don't wish to comment specifically on Adam as I have never seen him dance or teach WCS nor heard it mentioned that he dances it but I am sure there are more experienced and well recognised CTA qualified instructors who could have been invited to take that class)
    He is more than capable of teaching a half hour introduction to the concept of WCS. Shame on you!

And yet it is named as a masterclass and now it seems to be an introduction?

Quote Originally Posted by DS87 View Post
    And yet it is named as a masterclass and now it seems to be an introduction?
    The mini master classes at Rochester introduce concepts and technique on a different theme each month. We've moved away from the standard four moves "fun" class to kick things off to go for something more useful to people.

WCS is non existant in that part of the world, so it will be a complete revelation to most people there.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi's Sweat Band View Post
    The mini master classes at Rochester introduce concepts and technique on a different theme each month. We've moved away from the standard four moves "fun" class to kick things off to go for something more useful to people.

WCS is non existant in that part of the world, so it will be a complete revelation to most people there.
    for introducing different dance styles. WCS is quite inaccessable in many parts of the country. I believe that MikeyR runs a venue in The Daylight Inn, Petts Wood, Kent which is probably to closest to you (I might be wrong) but still about 25 miles. I hope that it goes well and people show an interest.

Steve

Adam Brown actually
    Yep Adam Brown is correct, with me as demo.

for introducing different dance styles. WCS is quite inaccessable in many parts of the country. I believe that MikeyR runs a venue in The Daylight Inn, Petts Wood, Kent which is probably to closest to you (I might be wrong) but still about 25 miles. I hope that it goes well and people show an interest.

Steve

Mikeyr doesn't run the venue in Petts Wood, but he does dance there regularly, and this is where I do my WCS.

Also Adam Brown is really doing well with west coast and is more than capable of teaching the mini class at Rochester. However, give that the slot allowed is only 30 minutes, I'm not too sure how much can be achieved in that time to wcs virgins.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As the inventor of the masterclass concept, I feel honour-bound to leap in here

The mini master classes at Rochester introduce concepts and technique on a different theme each month.
    Yeah, but calling it a "Masterclass" is a bit cheeky though, isn't it?

From here:
    A master class is a class given to students of a particular discipline by an expert of that discipline
    In dance, there's an assumption that a masterclass is a bit like a workshop - more individually-oriented, smaller classes than normal, and generally aimed at a more experienced dancer than normal.

We've moved away from the standard four moves "fun" class to kick things off to go for something more useful to people.
    Great - but call it "intro to WCS class", or a "Taste of WCS" class - not a "WCS masterclass".

Or is it better to keep it in the family regardless of someone's ability to dance & teach a style of dance?
    On reflection maybe I would prefer the phrase experience in dancing & teaching rather than ability to dance & teach in the sentence above.

He is more than capable of teaching a half hour introduction to the concept of WCS. Shame on you!
    Shame? For what? I'm sure he will be more than capable but as others have stated it's hardly a masterclass is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Top Bird View Post
    Also Adam Brown is really doing well with west coast and is more than capable of teaching the mini class at Rochester. However, give that the slot allowed is only 30 minutes, I'm not too sure how much can be achieved in that time to wcs virgins.
    If it gives people the incentive to seek out other WCS classes to further their learning then that's a good thing for the scene IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by locoman View Post
    Fri 6th June : - Rochester (Kent) Dance Junction
    Doors open at 8pm
    Ceroc Freestyle 9.00pm til 1am
    Mini WCS masterclass with Dave & Val at 8.30pm til 9pm
    Dj's Kam & Garry

my mistake, adam brown is taking the lesson on friday.
    and despite all of the comments i can safely say it will be good, but it won't be a masterclass because he has to borrow my shoes!
    apologies for my mistake

my mistake, adam brown is taking the lesson on friday.
    and despite all of the comments i can safely say it will be good, but it won't be a masterclass because he has to borrow my shoes!
    apologies for my mistake
    OK, It is not being taught by Dave and Val. It is being taught by Adam Brown.

It is not a masterclass. It is a 30 minute introduction to WCS. I am intrigued to see this because Cat Wiles used to take 6 one hour lessons to do this so seeing it done in 30 minutes would be interesting.

Would there be a fair amount of WCS music played after the class so that the attendees can practice?

I really liked the last event at Rochesters dance junction (fab venue) that I went to with the seperate blues room. It sounds like this one would be worth the long journey for me to get to.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post

Would there be a fair amount of WCS music played after the class so that the attendees can practice?

I really liked the last event at Rochesters dance junction (fab venue) that I went to with the seperate blues room. It sounds like this one would be worth the long journey for me to get to.

Was wondering the same thing, is there going to WCS style music?????

Not been to a Ceroc at dance Junction but have been to Dance Riviera's. It's a great venue.

Might give it ago as nothing exciting on locally this Friday

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Was wondering the same thing, is there going to WCS style music?????

Not been to a Ceroc at dance Junction but have been to Dance Riviera's. It's a great venue.

Might give it ago as nothing exciting on locally this Friday

Just seen on the cerockent website, they Have Gerry and Kam DJ'ing. Don't know Jerry but Kam is one of Ceroc Kents best DJ's (second only to Salomons Ian)

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    OK, It is not being taught by Dave and Val. It is being taught by Adam Brown.

It is not a masterclass. It is a 30 minute introduction to WCS. I am intrigued to see this because Cat Wiles used to take 6 one hour lessons to do this so seeing it done in 30 minutes would be interesting.

some wcs will be played, also mj, blues, etc - we try to please all!

some wcs will be played, also mj, blues, etc - we try to please all!
    Glad to hear you will be on the decks Gary - looking forward to it. You music mix generally has my money. See ya Friday.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

for introducing different dance styles. WCS is quite inaccessable in many parts of the country.
    This is the problem

Kev and I taught a workshop in Oxford a couple of weeks ago and it was well attended but everyone was saying that there was nowhere local to do it regularly.

One of the couples from the workshop, came all the way from Swindon the following night, to Stoke Poges, cos they didn't want to risk loosing what they'd learnt the day before but they said, as much as they loved the dance, they couldn't see it was going to be feasible to get to any WCS class every week.

I know its good to showcase different styles but in a way, if there's no intention of providing somewhere regular for people to follow it up and dance it regularly, sadly, it just seems a bit pointless
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I know its good to showcase different styles but in a way, if there's no intention of providing somewhere regular for people to follow it up and dance it regularly, sadly, it just seems a bit pointless
    I agree entirely!

However my more cynical side says there is potentially a whole new income stream here. Run fixed term(short) workshops in an area that will never likely see any WCS classes. You can do it every 3 months cos everybodies forgotten it, you get the money up front, hardly any risk.

Commercial Operator

I believe that MikeyR runs a venue in The Daylight Inn, Petts Wood, Kent which is probably to closest to you (I might be wrong) but still about 25 miles. I hope that it goes well and people show an interest.

Steve
    I dont Run Petts Wood, just help out when/where I can. But I do hope to be revive the Monday night Oakwood WCS class in North London with Lee Easton teaching in about a month
    Last edited by Lory; 4th-June-2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: fixed quotes

I think they had some relatively inexperienced teachers teaching WCS at Viva Las Vegas also.

In a way it is strange how high the experience levels of WCS teachers has previously averaged, even for beginner levels of teaching, and that so many have been involved competitively in WCS.

Thread Information