Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WCS intro / masterclass discussion

Re: Who's going where? Weekend 6th/7th/8th June 2008

Quote Originally Posted by DS87 View Post
    Surely this would imply that the other dance form was harder than MJ and also that prior knowledge of MJ would help in learning the other dance form. I do not believe either to be true but I can see where you are coming from.
    Prior knowledge of MJ will help in learning most partner dance forms. Simply knowing the concept of lead and follow gives a person a huge advantage over someone who has no experience.

The Mini Masterclass concept adopted at the Rochester freestyle is a great idea, as, assuming they continue with it, it has the potential to introduce people to many different dance styles that they may never have tried, and that can only be a good thing...

Steve, any idea what's coming next? Something Latin would be nice!

Re: WCS intro / masterclass discussion

This is probably not the best place to post this, but….

I am very interested in how WCS develops in this country. Although I teach other forms of dance, I am a newbie teacher of WCS. This came about mainly to get the dance of the ground in our locality. I had to question myself about this. On one hand I felt inexperienced at WCS. On the other I have been a teacher and a teacher of teachers for many years in other physical disciplines.

When I first started teaching martial arts, I wanted to be the best. I produced several UK, European and World champions. Our clubs had a reputation for excellence. As other groups & clubs sprang up, I constantly questioned their standards feeling they were not up to ours. Despite this, some of these clubs grew to attract more students. When I came down off my pedestal to see what was going on, I had to admit that although they where not reaching our standards, they were providing a valuable service to the community in a far wider range than I was. The few (and it is only a few) that wanted to compete, attain higher standard etc, filtered into our clubs. Most others were happy where they were and would have felt intimidated in our clubs. I only managed to grow a successful full time organisation when I became more accepting of others needs by providing more rounded service. Despite the huge marketing and hype for competitive martial arts, less than 2% ever try it. Most enjoy it for themselves.

WCS is still relatively small in the UK, but with great interest. Those at the top should recognise the huge potential for this dance to grow. I am surprised at how often I hear groups and even teachers putting down others. This is not the way forward. The top teachers need to think beyond their own competitive interests if they want WCS to grow. Many who want to try the dance feel that it is beyond them because they constantly witness what I would classify as competitive rather than simple social dancing. You would be thrown out of a Tango Milonga for trying show Tango on a social floor. The bottom line is that it is not social.

I found it interesting watching how Kyle & Sarah and the Royston’s at the UK WCS Champs. Despite the pressure to be seen to perform, they toned down their social dancing to be just that. Maybe it is just a journey the dance needs to go through in the UK before it finds a social winning formula.

Mandy & I have grown a relatively large and consistent group of dancers in a short time based on how we feel about making WCS a comfortable social dance. No one is more surprised than me that it is working, but work it does.

Re: WCS intro / masterclass discussion

Well said Ian.

I have encountered similar problems in Petts Wood with no local 'trained teachers' available to us. So, we offer 'coaching' rather than a formal class, until we feel we have the experience to teach a 'class'. It's a more personal approach, more sociable and less technical.

Having said that, we do offer classes and workshops in conjunction with established teachers. UK champs no less!

We have found that people who come to our freestyle + coaching nights love 'em and attend most of them; but of those who attend our 4-6 week courses run by the pros, only about 30% come to the freestyle nights even though most of them are locals!!?? Do they think it's more complicated than it really is?

At the end of the day it's about growing the dance and enjoying a social night out - remember how Ceroc started - amateurs teaching each other after dinner if I remember...........

Thread Information