Thread: Floor craft - Teachers, Event Organizers

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Floor craft - Teachers, Event Organizers

Something I noticed alot this Southport is something that seems to be getting worse and worse country over .......

Floorcraft.

Why are people not taught about not using the dancefloor for a casual chat or as a shortcut with a pint in the hand?

Can a little note be printed in weekender booklets asking people to be respectful of the dancefloor, or even better, dance teachers, when teaching people how to dance, teach them how to do it safley!

Had one heavy collision in the bouncy room. Almost empty floor, had a masive space all around us till someone decided to walk backwards without looking, on to the floor. Had one woman ask how I didn;t go up and slap the bloke.

Also noticed alot of drops and dips on packed floors in the main room.

Wasn't so bad in the Blues room, but Sunday night was abit packed. A few times felt like there was just a massive double trouble esk thing going on. Just a tangle of dances all vying for a piece of wood. There was still better floorcraft in these cramped conitions though than out in the more spacious main room!

Had to clear a few spills that people had just left in the blues room too !!!!

Blog Entries

Re: Floor craft - Teachers, Event Organizers

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Had to clear a few spills that people had just left in the blues room too !!!!
    Did CJ get carried away with his frotting, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Something I noticed alot this Southport is something that seems to be getting worse and worse country over .......

Floorcraft.

Why are people not taught about not using the dancefloor for a casual chat or as a shortcut with a pint in the hand?

The Blues Room was better than the School Disco in the Main Ballroom but still occasionally like a tag team event. I'm not sure that floorcraft is mentioned regularly anywhere in MJ.

To add to the numpties that walk backwards onto the floor while chatting to their partner and oblivious to all around are the plonkers that have zero peripheral vision and back their partners into you as if MJ is a sort of follow bumper car event!

I'd love to believe that there is an answer to it but suspect that few teachers and organisers would be prepared to give this topic the required air time to make a difference to the masses so more enlightened dancers are simply going to have to try and lead by example.

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    I'd love to believe that there is an answer to it but suspect that few teachers and organisers would be prepared to give this topic the required air time to make a difference to the masses so more enlightened dancers are simply going to have to try and lead by example.
    Ian made an announcement at Berko a few weeks ago mid-freestyle saying he's had a few complaints, and people should be more aware of their surroundings. No idea if it made a difference, but it's probably more effective than just making a passing mention in a class.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    Ian made an announcement at Berko a few weeks ago mid-freestyle saying he's had a few complaints, and people should be more aware of their surroundings. No idea if it made a difference, but it's probably more effective than just making a passing mention in a class.

Sean
    I think his comments were on the money but probably didn't make much of a difference, I was at Berko Sunday gone and got bashed to death by people already taking up twice the amount of what would be considered normal space and not even being able to contain themselves in that.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post

Sean
    Ian regularly does this, to his credit.

I suspect people don't listen, but at least he tries.

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post

To add to the numpties that walk backwards onto the floor while chatting to their partner and oblivious to all around are the plonkers that have zero peripheral vision and back their partners into you as if MJ is a sort of follow bumper car event!
    One guy I danced with at Southport (once!) kept sending me backwards with no regard as to who was behind me (who obviously I couldn't see although in the end I started glancing over my shoulder) to the point that it got embarrassing. I don't think it is mentioned that often in classes, but you'd hope people would work it our for themselves...

Thread Information