Thread: Tunnel Type moves...can they ever look elegant?

Tunnel Type moves...can they ever look elegant?

I was just wondering what forumites' opinion was of Tunnel Type moves...the consensus seems to be, after trawling back through old threads, is that they look a bit clumsy and naff. But, I've also seen them done in a way which looks pretty good (at least to my eyes - about 30 secs in)...what does everyone else reckon?

Re: Tunnel Type moves...can they ever look elegant?

Like a lot of these moves, pretzels, tunnels, whatever, the overriding factor is the skill of the dancers.

So, yes, they can look elegant. Seen them done well in WCS as well.

Unfort, personally speaking, I am not that good at tunnels, so they are simply not in my repertoire.
    Also, I think you have to have some kind of empathy regarding possible consequences of accidental hair displacement

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    Like a lot of these moves, pretzels, tunnels, whatever, the overriding factor is the skill of the dancers.

So, yes, they can look elegant. Seen them done well in WCS as well.

Unfort, personally speaking, I am not that good at tunnels, so they are simply not in my repertoire.
    Also, I think you have to have some kind of empathy regarding possible consequences of accidental hair displacement
    Yes, I reckon you're right - if you look like you're taking your partner into custody, then it doesn't really work

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    I was just wondering what forumites' opinion was of Tunnel Type moves...the consensus seems to be, after trawling back through old threads, is that they look a bit clumsy and naff. But, I've also seen them done in a way which looks pretty good (at least to my eyes - about 30 secs in)...what does everyone else reckon?
    Personally, I wouldn't rate that much above "OK". I mean, it's a very well done tunnel, but it still doesn't look that great.

On the other hand, there's a fairly common variation which is kind of a cross between a duck turn and a tunnel and avoids the woman having to do the backwards/forwards thing. See the move at about 2:56 in

(there's a sequence of tunnel stuff around there - it's the one at the end I'm talking about).

Kyle and Sarah also did a rather neat "fake" tunnel at about 1:37 into the following routine:

(Though I think what actually makes this look good is the very obvious "tunnel setup" which leaves you thinking "how the heck are they going to do a tunnel fast enough to hit the accent?", and then all he does is let go with one hand so she doesn't have to actually do the tunnel).

For the average social dancer I think the simple answer is they can never look elegant. The only time I ever do them is when a basket whip has been hi-jacked.

I agree they are not the most elegant move in MJ world - They are moves that when done well they look fab...to amazing

but to the average/above average dancer when danced in freestyle they just that "Average".

SPROGGS

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't rate that much above "OK". I mean, it's a very well done tunnel, but it still doesn't look that great.

On the other hand, there's a fairly common variation which is kind of a cross between a duck turn and a tunnel and avoids the woman having to do the backwards/forwards thing. See the move at about 2:56 in

(there's a sequence of tunnel stuff around there - it's the one at the end I'm talking about).

Kyle and Sarah also did a rather neat "fake" tunnel at about 1:37 into the following routine:

(Though I think what actually makes this look good is the very obvious "tunnel setup" which leaves you thinking "how the heck are they going to do a tunnel fast enough to hit the accent?", and then all he does is let go with one hand so she doesn't have to actually do the tunnel).
    The Matt Auclair move is one I've seen done in salsa quite a few times - am I right in thinking it looks best when led with both dancers circling clockwise as the leader unwraps the follower?

Yes they but not when I do them! :p

Here is a perfect example of a musically appropriate and good looking tunnel in my opinion: at 3:38.
    Last edited by NZ Monkey; 4th-June-2008 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Spelling

Some of these clips are great.

I do not favour the full tunnel (walk around the back and come out the tunnel the other side) and I am aware not to "mess up the hair"

I have used a "half tunnel" in triples (double trouble) - both girls in a basket and put pressure on the hip with your hand, at the same time raise your elbow to the upper back and apply presure while moving forward - elbows raised. Then draw them back with high hands so they can walk in a sexy manner until they are again in front of you.

This sometimes works as a supprise move with just one partner - they are expecting basket walks and suddenly find they have gone under my arm and are behind me - normally gets a squeal...

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    Here is a perfect example of a musically appropriate and good looking tunnel in my opinion: at 3:38.
    Nice one. (Also exception that proves the rule, however).

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    It's been said before, in various ways, and it's pointing out the obvious, but they really are sickeningly good.

Yes, I reckon you're right - if you look like you're taking your partner into custody, then it doesn't really work

There is one that I have done, you too maybe also, where when I come out of the tunnel the leader doesn't let go and has his arms in a hold which allows the follower to turn under his right arm. If done well it requires the follower to spin feet together on the spot whilst she is bending her knees in the turn and then out. You also have to guage the distance between you and your partner otherwise you knock her over and off balance and it looks really naff when not performed right.

Terpsichorea if you are at the Ritz anytime and I am there I will try to show you, but it is better if 'Jim of a thousand moves' is there also, because I have done it with him before, so to speak! It was taught by George Moss a few years ago at Prestwich. Nice move and does require skill on the followers part to undertake the spin exactly on the spot under the arm.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

i would personally say not really... but they are good fun to do!

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    There is one that I have done, you too maybe also, where when I come out of the tunnel the leader doesn't let go and has his arms in a hold which allows the follower to turn under his right arm. If done well it requires the follower to spin feet together on the spot whilst she is bending her knees in the turn and then out. You also have to guage the distance between you and your partner otherwise you knock her over and off balance and it looks really naff when not performed right.

Terpsichorea if you are at the Ritz anytime and I am there I will try to show you, but it is better if 'Jim of a thousand moves' is there also, because I have done it with him before, so to speak! It was taught by George Moss a few years ago at Prestwich. Nice move and does require skill on the followers part to undertake the spin exactly on the spot under the arm.
    I think I know the one you mean - does it start off with a right over left hold, lead turns follower clockwise and then tunnels under his arm and hers to sort of turn her on the spot as she unwraps? I've done it with Zuki a few times and it's difficult to do without unbalancing her.

If it's not, giz a shout next time you're at the Ritz and I'll head over!

Thread Information