Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Southport June '08 the aftermath.

Re: Southport June '08 the aftermath.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Am I the only one who had to do a double take?
    honestly, can't take you anywhere!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    The end of the world is nigh... I'm agreeing with David Bailey.
    Oh well, just to make you feel better, I thought your stuff was rubbish

And can people stop complimenting RobD already?

I always have a great time at SP.

Mrs Par and I have not danced much this year and where apprehensive but it was a fabulous weekend.

I call it dance heaven.....So many dancers male and female from all over whom I danced with ...so many DJs playing their amazing sets ... The atmostphere is a buzz from friday lunchtime till Monday morning, dancing under the stars and dancing in shorts in the afternoon just heavenly.

There will always be bits of any weekender that aren't great for you but this should never spoil the overall joy of the occassion, I have very little to complain about.

The BBQ was superb to MinnieM for sorting it out.

Rebecca and Captain Fantastic truly great entertainers.

Johnah and Wes thankyou for putting it together yet again

Looking forward to Sept already.

My only real downside.....was not being able to dance with all the people I wanted to. and being such a sweaty sod

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

Will the Robd fan club be banished from the forum if it persists DB?

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post

My only real downside.....was not being able to dance with all the people I wanted to. and being such a sweaty sod
    Really glad to get a least one dance with you Underpar and I didn't notice anything sweaty about you, as always good fun.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

As far as the little spat between steven666 and Robd is concerned.....

My opinion is this....I would eminently possible for me to dance all weekend (one dance per partner) and not run out of partners that I know.

(I am sure that this would be the same for Robd. We have both over the years done many many events all round the country.)

This does not stop me dancing with other dancers I don't know nor dancing with some others several times.

It does mean I get to the end of every weekender still missing out on dancing with people I really would enjoy dancing with but haven't mangaed to do so.

its a tough life being a freestyle junky.
    Last edited by under par; 4th-June-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Every southport has been better than the last for me - just wondering how long the trend can continue. Judging by the way my feet still feel, I danced more this time, and I made an effort not to do too many classes - so didn't miss out on the afternoon freestyle, and Saturday outside was spectacular (as well as the dancing outside at night).

I feel slightly at a loss here because there's nothing to complain about... Although the blues room music was generally too WCS, even that seemed more interesting than I expected (and I managed to dance blues to at least half of it). I think I totaled between 2 and 4 dances in each of the other rooms over the whole weekend.
    Blueshoes' set was disapointing only because there was noone to dance with for 3 tracks, which felt like a minor tragedy. I felt his sets were the most appropriate for the blues room.
    Great to hear some completely new music from Lee as well.

Sean

Commercial Operator

Sorry, but most people were off to bed by that time. It's no good only playing Blues music in the Blues Room at silly o'clock, it'd be nice to play it at other times also.

So, as I said in my first post, there was no Blues Room, just a room playing different music from the Main and Latin rooms. Continuing to call it a Blues Room is, basically, a lie.
    HI just to clarify what times of the day are you talking about in the "Blues room"?

Amazing, amazing, AMAZING weekend! Up until a few days before I wasnt sure if I was going to make Southport- but I am so glad I did

The BBQ was fab, thanks Minnie.

I had some really great dances, both in the main room and in the blues room. Particularly memorable were Cornish Pixie, Dai and Tiger Pants

It was great meeting up with old friends, meeting new forumites and getting to know a few a bit better

A special thanks to all those (nearly everyone in fact) who were especially gentle with me on the dancefloor

This is my last weekender for 9 months- Im taking dance maternity leave! I will be making my comeback at Southport feb 2009. See you all there xxx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    HI just to clarify what times of the day are you talking about in the "Blues room"?
    Playing "Real Blues" at 5am - 9am doesn't help me or most people - and it's disingenuous to say "Oh, we played Blues at Dawn, therefore it's a Real Blues Room".

Call me crazy, but if I see something called a Blues Room, I expect the occasional Blues track to be played in it, at some point where a normal person might expect to hear it.

In the same way that I expect the Latin Room to play Latin music - which, to be fair, it did - I'd expect the Blues Room to play Blues music - which, generally, it didn't.

As if anyone needed more incentive! You can compliment me, I might well rep you for it because I am shallow like that and you'll annoy David Bailey nee James at the same time. Result!

And try just once to properly capitalise robd will you?

Call me crazy, but if I see something called a Blues Room, I expect the occasional Blues track to be played in it, at some point where a normal person might expect to hear it.
    You don't seem too bothered by the lack of ballroom music played in the Jive Addiction Ballroom though. Why the lack of consistency?

Commercial Operator

Playing "Real Blues" at 5am - 9am doesn't help me or most people - and it's disingenuous to say "Oh, we played Blues at Dawn, therefore it's a Real Blues Room".
    my post was in response to chef's comment

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    T
    It would appear that there is no longer such a thing as a swing/blues room anymore as there seemed to be close to naff all of either played at Southport. I know all the DJs want acclaim and the way to do that seems to be to play what is flavour of the moment. ~snip~If the DJ has no intention of playing swing/blues then they should not accept the DJ slot.
    this would suggest that nobody played swing or blues.I did in fact play some swing & blues, in the time slot that was allocated to me. had this been earlier in the night, I would still have played swing & blues.I wasn't disputing the fact that there was a lot of WCS music played, just saying that there was some swing & blues played but maybe at a time when a lot of people were in bed.
    Nothing disingenuous about that statement. Maybe time to climb down off the high horse David whatever you call yourself these days

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    my post was in response to chef's comment

this would suggest that nobody played swing or blues.I did in fact play some swing & blues, in the time slot that was allocated to me. had this been earlier in the night, I would still have played swing & blues.I wasn't disputing the fact that there was a lot of WCS music played, just saying that there was some swing & blues played but maybe at a time when a lot of people were in bed.
    Nothing disingenuous about that statement. Maybe time to climb down off the high horse David whatever you call yourself these days
    Us late night DJs cant sleep it seems mate!!!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Us late night DJs cant sleep it seems mate!!!
    Oh! I don't know about that Bluey....some of the drivel on here can get quite tiresome..

Commercial Operator

In the same way that I expect the Latin Room to play Latin music - which, to be fair, it did - I'd expect the Blues Room to play Blues music - which, generally, it didn't.
    I will be clearer sorry for you, "What time are you talking about when you were in the blues room" not when you when you were tucked up asleep

Please clarify at what time of the day you consider the room to be a Blues room, you are aware during the day time its not a blues room.

Give us please 3 good blues tracks you would like to hear in the Blues room at night.

thanks

Commercial Operator

Oh! I don't know about that Bluey....some of the drivel on here can get quite tiresome..
    Lets hope he can be a bit more specific

Commercial Operator

I never made it to SP this time but have been following this thread with interest and jealousy - sounds like a great time was had by all... on the whole.

I'd like to join the RobD fan club please... He's a top bloke who I always enjoy chatting with when he gets a spare moment or two at weekenders etc... Indeed the last time we caught up was in the Blues Room at the last SP... we were sat at a table away from the dance floor chatting intently about 'stuff' when a lady spied him and navigated her way through the chairs and bags to ask him to dance. As we were deep in conversation he apologised and said no, but as soon as we'd finished chatting he was off to find the lady. Top bloke

I've never met Chef or CC but I was very sad to read about the Sunday night happenings.

Anyway, off to bed now... it's been a long day.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    My partner (Commis Chef) coming back from dances (particularly with CJ) and being all ecstatic about the experience. I then ask her what is it that they do that makes them so good and she has no words to describe it. Honestly, she is absolutely useless as a dance spy.
    Some VERY nice dances with CC!! I wouldn't do this for just anyone chef, so here are my top tips...

1) Eye contact.. don't do it... over rated...
    2) The music.. ignore it... stay on the beat
    3) Dance big... really big
    4) Throw in some drops without asking...
    5) Ignore ur partner... do ur own thing...

Now keep these to urself....

Seriously, I have to say I don't understand it either but the word that is most accurate in terms of Commis Chef and I this weekend is "sublime": it just REALLY worked.

I wasn't on my best form this weekend: a muscle in my butt went into spasm. Also someone playing my father's favourite song (the one we walked out the church to, and one I've never heard played in 14 years of MJ) on Sat morning kinda shook me a little. So, I missed too many people, didn't get o say good bye to too many people also.

That said, I had a fab weekend: as so many have said, dancing in the sunshine and then under the stars is just magical.

Big thanks go to Nina, to Paul to UP, Rebecca and Dan (!!)and to Claire S.

Inspired by Tango!!!!!!!! Was nice mix: David and Kim gave the basic technique (and something to work on for a loooooooooooong time) and Ian and Mandy gave toys for the musical bits. Oh, and some luscious tunes!!! Quartango, anyone?!?!?!?

OH RESPECT TO EVERYONE involved in the BBQ...

Bring on September...
    Last edited by CJ; 5th-June-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Dave View Post
    we were sat at a table away from the dance floor chatting intently about 'stuff' when a lady spied him and navigated her way through the chairs and bags to ask him to dance. As we were deep in conversation he apologised and said no
    That's where I stopped reading and that's where we differ.

(I read the rest but the rest was immaterial, maybe I have a differing opinion of when to refuse and that wouldn't be a case for it)

Am I allowed differing opinion from Lord robd?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    That's where I stopped reading and that's where we differ.

(I read the rest but the rest was immaterial, maybe I have a differing opinion of when to refuse and that wouldn't be a case for it)

Am I allowed differing opinion from Lord robd?
    Steve
    We are all allowed differing opinions thats what makes the MJ scene so much fun.
    Live and let live
    By the way thanks for the dance

Blog Entries

this would suggest that nobody played swing or blues.I did in fact play some swing & blues, in the time slot that was allocated to me.
    Fair enough. My comment wasn't aimed at you - or, actually, at any DJ - it was aimed at the organisers.

It's clearly not a Blues Room, so please stop calling it a Blues Room. That's what I was referring to as "disingenuous".

had this been earlier in the night, I would still have played swing & blues.I wasn't disputing the fact that there was a lot of WCS music played, just saying that there was some swing & blues played but maybe at a time when a lot of people were in bed.
    Between 5am - 9am? 95% of us were in bed, I imagine. I'd have got up for the Tango had I known about it of course

Pah, I'm not taking any rubbish about my name from someone calling themselves Dance Demon, thank you very much.

Thread Information