Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Southport June '08 the aftermath.

Re: Southport June '08 the aftermath.

Quote Originally Posted by DS87 View Post
    Arjay must have two brains to be able to co-ordinate like that.
    Must resist obvious response, must resist, must resist.........

Commercial Operator

Southport - I love it!

The Fab

Dancing outside in the sunshine - it doesn't get any better than that!
    Spending time with people that I never get to see enough of.
    Dancing to Night Prowler with Ibby - Wow!
    Dancing to Stairway to Heaven with Mr Darcy
    Raph being so bad...
    Boardrider being so good
    Apple, Sultana and Cinnamon cake - and not sharing! Mmmmmm! (Thank you btw!)
    Eye (and nose ) contact with Silverfox
    PM, Underpar, the lovely guy from Bedford who partnered me for Simon and Nicoles awesome class, all the people who put up with my experimental leading - thank you...
    DTS and Trouble - you should charge for it!
    RubyRed
    All the DJ's in the Blues room - every one of you managed to create a vibe and a feeling that was unique to you and special for us. Not sure how you do it - just really glad you do!

The Not so Fab

Sunday's weather - come on John and Wes, can't you order the sun for both days next time? You usually do!
    Far too much WCS music being played in the Blues room for my taste -particularly in the early hours of Monday, where was the down and dirty Blues??

The Ugly

Trying to make a connection with a partner, to great music in the Blues room - whilst trying to avoid stepping on, tripping over and being kicked by the person who spent some considerable time throwing themselves through peoples legs on their tummy on the floor???

The Rest

I was less well and had more on my mind than usual this time, so it made for some 'down' moments for me. Never before have I chosen to take myself away from the dancing to spend some time alone at a weekender - hopefully I won't feel the same way in September.

Just one personal gripe from me in general if I may...

As a non-smoker, is it too much to expect that if someone has just had a cigarette they wash their hands and suck a breath mint before asking people to dance? In the main room where you dance at a distance certainly, but in the Blues room where you generally dance much closer - definitely!?!

Thanks John and Wes...

Roll on September!

Blog Entries

well finally i have a few mins to rave about this weekend just gone.

highlights...

far too many to mention them all but as follows;

Lost Leader - always manage to make me feel sexy. thanks for lovely dances.
    Easily Lead - looking good there girl.
    Under Par - made DTS squeal but then so did I.
    Mr Darcy - by far the loveliest dancer of them all. Great dances this weekend - thanx
    Agent secreto - made the new move of the weekend. Dipped me backwards, foot slipped and i managed to get my foot up in the air and use the front part of my leg around his little ass area to wedge myself. Thankfully he is a strong guy and he managed to make it look as though i did it on purpose and we both knew it was coming ( change the knickers moment for me though and not in a good way )
    Ruby Red - the spag bowl sunday afternoon - great company, lots of laughs and fantastic.
    Barbecue - Minnie, yet again, fantastic few hours. I did go up on the stilts but i waited till everybody had gone before i braved that little attempt. Its now ticked off my to do list.
    Sara Whites crowd - all of you helped make this weekend great company and hilarious.
    Bill - fantastic dances
    Gav - looking good there boyo.
    Sara - sexy and great company
    Tor - Wonderful dances as always.
    DTS - again, wonderful weekend in every way. Thanks for sharing it with me and making it as usual laughter all the way.
    Weather - even with the rain on sunday, who could have asked for better.
    compliments - i got so many lovely comments on my continued diet results this weekend and i want to say thank you to all who did comment and this only inspires me to carry on.

Lowlights

There was not one

I met new dancers this weekend, i did not have one bad dance, not one. I smiled every moment and i can not wait till September.

John and Wes, you are brilliant.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Highlights only: I laughed till I cried and my belly hurt! Thanks so much to my wonderful chalet mates, Jack and Janice.

The wonderful WCS dances I had. Thanks to all the followers I danced with (of which there were many terrific new revelations).

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Now that I'm feeling almost human again...

The first 20 hours were definitely my favourite Southport so far (this was no.4 for me). We arrived late after taking the decision not to get so frazzled trying to leave straight from work. It was worth it, as I enjoyed Friday night/Saturday morning far more & far longer than previously. It went a bit downhill later but I still had a fantastic time. I'm not even going to try to name all the dancers who gave me lovely dances, there were oodles.

Special thank you to PM for not minding a fast-asleep passenger, for bacon sandwiches, hugs when I felt lousy and acting as a personal alarm clock so I didn't miss too much dancing.

The Fun
    Advance preparation with ClaireS for the fancy dress - poster paints have never been such fun!
    The BBQ - big THANK YOU to Minnie M (looking lovely, BTW) for masterminding it all and another big THANK YOU to John & Wes for the real BBQ - so much more comfortable to use.
    Double trouble with Tor and Clare
    Being 'stolen' by Killingtime, PMJD and Helen B - in flipflops!

The Fabulous
    Saturday sunshine!
    Walking in on Friday night and within minutes finding three people I hadn't expected to see
    PMJD's chocolate marble cheesecake
    Helen B's chocolate cream-cheese brownies
    Heavenly Dance Shoes - I went in for black dance shoes and fell in love with one pair in lilac and another in sea-green. (I'm actually going to order pale blue). Easily distracted, me?

The Frustrating
    Not having enough baking time beforehand, so cakes were in less plentiful supply than usual.
    Missing out on dancing with and meeting some people I had hoped to.
    Sunday's rain.
    Waking up ill on Sunday and feeling on less than top form for the rest of the weekend.
    Having to turn people down on Sunday afternoon even though I wanted to dance, because I felt lousy. If I turned you down and didn't manage to find you again later, I'm sorry!

and the Devastatingly Disappointing
    Getting to the main room just after 11pm on Saturday, having carefully timed it so we'd arrive towards the end of the cabaret acts and just before the fancy dress (to avoid the crush) only to find we'd missed the fancy dress completely because it had been done first We put a lot of effort into a costume and didn't even get to show it off For at least the last 3 SPs the order has been Cabaret acts then fancy dress. Could the change of routine not have been flagged up in the programme? I haven't any objection to changing it around but I did mind very much that we missed it. Kindly-meant comments as we were leaving of 'oh wow, that's great, why weren't you in the parade?' just upset me more

However, worse things happen at sea, and ultimately we had a fab time making the costume. to ClaireS for letting me use her shamelessly! So, for all those who missed it, I attach some photos of 'THAT chest' - containing an absolute treasure
    Attached Images Attached Images

Late award/medal for gallantry to ladies in the face of severe injury: Agente Secreto (loved our dance to "The Snake" even if you did look slightly pained!

Also late mention for First Move and apologies for mistaking you for Mr Darcy - but I have only met him once (He is aptly named for a variety of reasons). You have very different dance styles .

Award for stylish men's wear - DTS (Does Trouble get your stuff for you?)

I can confirm that Lost Leader was thoroughly exhausted by dancing with all the ladies he did - I was lucky to get a cup of tea in the morning !

It was my idea to put the fancy dress before the Cabaret so sorry to the lady who had worked so hard on her fab costume. John and Wes did know it was going to happen that way but have got tons of things to put in the timetable. I would not have thought anyone would be happy to miss the cabaret and just arrive for the fancy dress, I had seen in prievious Sp's that people wandered off after seeing the cabaret so this was a ploy to get everyone to take part in the judging really- thought it worked rather well myself.
    On that note, thanks to all those who came up to me and said how good I was at comparing, I have compared all of the Rock Botts and Beach Boogie events but that was my First Southport Being chased off by John was scarey and NOT reheresed as some had thought!!

My personal Highlight from the weekend was watching Dance Demon lip Sync a whole tune absolutly perfectly, he should have been filmed fr the DVD.

Had an idea, prob not allowed due to 'rights ' and stuff but John and Wes could flog a DVD of each DJ's fave tunes - I'd buy one.

Well done boys, I KNOW how much work goes into these things.
    X

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post

Award for stylish men's wear - DTS (Does Trouble get your stuff for you?)

!
    Charity shops my lovely, CHARITY SHOPS.

Cheap am I.

DTS XXX XX
    Last edited by Lory; 3rd-June-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Fixed quotes

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Well I thought I would start the old aftermath thread seeing as how I got in a little while ago. I am so shattered after a total of 6 hours sleep all weekend!!! I will follow up my comments about the weekend later, when I have slept, but for now I can honestly say it was one of the best Southports ever for me, fabulous, fantastic and full of fun.

So how was it for you?
    For me, to say it was fantastic would be the understatement of the century! Shame about the weather on Sunday though.

So much to say about the weekend but here are some thoughts.

Highlights

Blueshoes for being the superb dancer that you are and playing the lovely music that you do..... also for acting like me dad at times ahem lol xx
    Snow White for the laughs, the fun, allowing me to make her tea and eat a portion of her cake, but not her chocolate, no not the chocolate lol xx
    Ant for the lovely dances, great company, and inviting me to Tango
    Trouble for the tea and coffee and making the spag bol night rock baby xx
    DTS for the memorable air guitar dances and hair pull and the antedote!!
    Astro so nice to spend time with you lovely ladyxx
    Twirly Bird and Stokie
    Fletch
    Dai for some awsome dances,great company and fantastic fruit salads
    Pretzelmeister for that magic Sunday afternoon dance....a meeting of minds on the dance floor, the feet were pretty good too!
    Lemon cake for your fabulous cakes and the cake you made Sara was delicious for breakfast...that is when we prized it off her eventually phew!
    Caz you are a star baby girl x
    Yliander for putting me straight about me knickers er....... I mean necklace
    CJ for the mariachi and the hugs x
    Gerry lovely dances sir
    Lory x
    Lost Leader beautiful dance
    Minnie M for all the hard work you put into the BBQ
    David Bailey, lovely to finally get to dance with you and hope maybe next time we can dance some tango
    Tiger sexy pants, loved my Sunday afternoon dance with you
    Ducasi so glad we had at least one dance at Southport
    Wuzzle and PMJD fanatastic
    Mr Darcy, sultry and sexy
    Robd magic
    Toby wan Kenobe dancing early Monday morning blues WOW

JonD, a truly serendipitous dancing moment, so good to dance a little tango with you, and I look forward to dancing with you again

Many many more to talk about, and thank you to all the lovely men and women who danced with me whom I don't know if your on this forum or not. I danced through the afternoons then again until 7.30 every morning, slept until 11am, stayed up all Sunday night through to dancing my way home at 8.30am on Monday.

So glad Ant invited me to fix partner him at the AT class, fabulous teachers and a good lesson, now have to put into practise how to improve my balance, and recognise how subtle a good lead can be.

Dancing in the glorious sunshine on Saturday afternoon, heavenly experience, who could ask for anything better. Glad I brought the factor 20 spray, it certainly saved my skin and helped others.

Missed the fancy dress and cabaret due to leaving for a while to attend my friend's wedding reception.

Tended to stay in the Blues room, which at times did become overcrowded, but then Sunday's rain had helped to reduce the dance area. Loved the late Sunday night session in the Ballroom. There was a buzz of great energy in the room, and it just lifted your spirit no end.

Great company on Sunday night at my spag bol night, thank you all for coming and going as me ma would have said.

Lowlights

Not having my Debit card, having lost it last week, and seeing the gorgeous shoes Cruella bought that would have looked really good on me too ,and given me a good excuse to buy new frocks to match my shoes.

The fat lady sang, and its over now until September.

Well back to being Cinderella after the ball now, but hey what a ball and thank you to John and Wes for giving the event your personal touch.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Being a SP virgin, I cannot fault anything apart from my dancing!!!
    I had a truly great time!!
    Thanks to everyone.
    Hopefully by the next time around, my dancing will have improved and I can reveal the true 2LF!!
    Thanks to Miss C from Sollihul for making the Tango so much fun!!
    2LF

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

seeing the gorgeous shoes Cruella bought that would have looked really good on me too
    I don't know what you are talking about. I've had them ages

Blog Entries

oh and i forgot, i thought you all might like to share the DTS experience with me.

Poor DTS suffers with bad knees, so here is the stylish little devil just before we stepped out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    oh and i forgot, i thought you all might like to share the DTS experience with me.

Poor DTS suffers with bad knees, so here is the stylish little devil just before we stepped out.
    AM I NOT MAGNIFICENT?????

DTS XXX XXX

Darling DTS what can a woman say you are a sexy beast baby
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Darling DTS what can a woman say you are a sexy beast baby
    I know I know it is this heavy burden of male sexuality that i constantly carry on my shoulders that has done me old knees in.

These knees marched me across the falklands you know, ok it was on a penguin spotting package holiday a couple of years ago. but it is the thought that counts. Some of those penguins are right nasty you know.

DTS XXX XXX

Finally getting round to posting a review...

The awesome

my birthday, surrounded by friends and dancing and champagne... it doesn't get any better. Thanks all for the cards and gifts and dances and drinks and all - I loved loved loved it

Special thanks to Minnie for the bbq and getting Lynn and I birthday cakes and candles and all
    Same to the westies and frenchies

The dancing was fab this weekend, I was really feeling it (the champagne might have helped there ), in fact I danced so much I couldn't even make it to any class.

Loved the weather as well on saturday, made for such a brilliant day

It was brilliant to be able to catch up with so many friends too, especially the Aberdeen and Scottish contingent whom I have missed much

The good

Blues room as usual, although dangerously crowded on sunday early night and sound problems outside (although like Paul I thought there was nothing to be done about it - silly me I should have gone to the DJ).

The marquee worked well on saturday night, except as others have said that it would have been nice to have a few chairs and table to help create some atmosphere. I love standing and watching others dance but I can understand how it might make the whole thing a bit intimidating to some.

I didn't even make to the marquee on sunday night for the wcs set for the simple reason that I never realised it was open. The music in the blues room was very funky and I had no desire to leave whatsoever. As others have said, if you want the westies to go to the marquee during the wcs music sets, then it would make sense to have something different in the blues room at that time.

Other ideas to improve as others have said would have been covering the grass area (it was really muddy on sunday)... and make it even bigger if possible ! It was incredible to see it so busy on saturday night

The bad

can't really think of much... the rain on sunday may be ?

Big to John and Wes for another fab weekend.

........new move of the weekend. Dipped me backwards, foot slipped and i managed to get my foot up in the air and use the front part of my leg around his little ass area to wedge myself. Thankfully he is a strong guy and he managed to make it look as though i did it on purpose and we both knew it was coming ( change the knickers moment for me though and not in a good way )
    Undergarments changed all round.
    • Highlight of the weekend - helping Trouble have her first proper airstep even if it was accidental.
    • Lowlight of the weekend - not capturing said airstep on video
    For me, like many others an excellent weekend. As a forum newbie met many new forumites but since I didn't make the barbie I've still got lots to discover - next time.

Did a couple of workshops only and spent the rest of the time simply dancing. Had some of my best dances ever this weekend, including some amazing first time dances with members of the celtic contingents, thank you ladies I'm not singling any of you out because you were all brilliant.

I found the Blues Room a bit schizo. I don't blame the westies for not wanting to go to the Marquee, I wouldn't want to dance in a dusty tent with no character either. However, the result is that the Blues Room tried to be both blues and WCS and the result was strangely dissatisfying at times.

Music is a personal thing but that being said I felt at times that some of the sets just failed to get my own creative juices flowing. Exceptions to that for me were Dance Demon and Zebra Woman - can't think of a moment during their sets when I wanted to sit down. I had better dances this time round overall but felt more ups and downs than I remember in the past. Maybe down to the schizo nature of the room but maybe I'm just getting to be grumpy

Personal gripe - lack of floorcraft, a situation that gets worse every time I go to SP (and other venues). Lost count of how many times I was stomped and battered by follows being carelessly thrown around the Blues Room by idiots in the kinds of big sweeping moves I'd expect in the Main Room disco. I can see a good option for kevlar body armour next time round.

Blog Entries

It was my first time dancing “across the border” as well as my first Southport, and what a weekend it was. Within ten minutes of arriving, I was at the dance floor with a glass of wine in my hand, meeting & greeting forumites!

The Good
    · The dancing: as I expected, it took me quite a while to settle, but it always does in a new venue and/or with so many new faces. As a result I didn’t have nearly as many dances as I could/should have (must do more asking next time) but I was content to watch the goings-on in the meantime and over the course of the weekend I did have lots of lovely dances, plus a few fabulous ones, so thanks to all who asked/accepted… special mentions have to go to Pretzelmeister (a double whammy in the main room on Saturday night) and Mr Darcy (in particular the one by the open doors on Sunday night).
    · Making it right through the night on both Saturday and Sunday.
    · My experience of outdoor freestyle has so far been limited to busking, so it was really nice to dance on the decking, although the weather was a tad too sunny for my poor pale Scottish skin to spend much time dancing outside on Saturday afternoon.
    · I didn’t plan on doing many (if any) classes in particular as the aim was just to get the SP experience of round-the-clock dancing, indoor and outdoor, in however many different rooms, but I managed to squeeze a few in. The Blues class on Friday night was great fun – thanks KT! Also loved learning to waltz in spite of the challenges of having to fix with a partner with timing/footwork issues! Must see if there’s a ballroom society at my new uni… Pilates also seemed like a good idea until yesterday afternoon, when every time I got out of the chair something else started to twinge… ouch! The beginner/improver WCS classes on Saturday were a good refresher, but as a follow I didn't feel I got much else out of them. I suspect the footwork class on Sunday might have been more useful but that went out the window in favour of sleep...
    · Spending so much non-dancing time with friends – it was a real treat to be sharing with a socialite for the first time ever! Thanks must go to Killingtime for being my chalet mate and letting me make the most of you & your hugs before you leave. Especially enjoyed Friday dinner, the BBQ, cake & chatting at LM’s cafe and not forgetting the pancake party on Sunday morning.
    · Meeting quite a few new forumites; it was lovely to see and dance with all of you. HelenB, I’m really glad we got to know each other and speak in stereo so often – spooky! By the way, you’re welcome to come and cook/wash up anytime.
    · Cakes and cuddles were in plentiful supply all weekend, yay!
    · The chalet: basic, but nowhere near as bad as I’d imagined from what I’d read/heard.

The Not So Good
    · Not starting to ask for dances early enough or, indeed, enough.
    · The numpty who held me far too tightly while freestyling after the waltz class. If a girl keeps pushing you away, asks for more space, and agrees when you ask if you’re holding her too tight, then don’t bother loosening your grip for a few beats before pulling her in even tighter for a spin. Justifying this by telling the girl this is how you do Move X does not help, especially if you smell.
    · The early morning blues room wasn’t as bluesy as I’d have expected or preferred – my feet just weren’t up for moving to a more up-tempo beat by that stage.
    · A minor point, but I missed the shoe shops completely (apart from drooling from a distance at the Heavenlies I could see sparkling through the locked gates). I was just too busy dancing/doing classes. When I did decide to go for a look, they were packing everything up and I realised I was in a completely different time zone – it was gone 8pm, not mid-afternoon. Oopsie. At least I saved myself a few quid…
    · My feet were absolutely killing me by the early hours of Sunday morning – I’ve been told Ibuprofen gel works wonders; must get some for next time.
    · I want to go again! but unfortunately I’m not sure whether timing of exams/placements will allow for booking long weekends away to Southport any time soon…

The Downright Scary
    · Little Monkey’s amazing “walking dead" pirate costume. She’s one of my best dancing buddies and I barely recognised her!

Pictures to follow soon, on here if I can get them to work but failing that, they'll be on facebook.
    Last edited by ShinyWeeStar; 3rd-June-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Has any seen the Southport video Lory made (it's on facebook) it is AMAZING .............

Loved it, Loved it, Loved it, Loved it, Loved it, Loved it, Loved it, Loved it, Loved it,
    Thanks hun.

I've now uploaded a much better quality version, after much frustration (with the iMac, I hate to say)

Its got slightly different editing, as I was learning on the fly and playing with the different toys.

I'm much happier with it now! You can even view it full screen!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information