Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Southport June '08 the aftermath.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Southport June '08 the aftermath.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Yes, you are indeed a better human being than robd. He dares to only ask 1 person he doesn't know to dance and honestly admit it in a positive thread complimenting a quality weekender - you are quite right to jump on him like a rabid dog. If only there were more people like you to tell us how to behave
    Well said that little blue person.

We need more people to stand up to the Evil Cult Of Robd and its shockingly underhand use of confusing capitalisation. If it's not stopped, where will it end, huh?

OK, OK, being slightly more serious - Steven666, you've obviously got a thing going on here. Rob isn't a hotshot, and you're just looking silly by trying to pretend he is. I'd drop it, to be honest.

As one of the people who commented on the lack of blues I feel I ought to comment:

I actually do enjoy the WCS music (I'm a closet Westie) but if less had been played I would have probably have gone to the marquee. As it was, I didn't as I managed to get my fix in the "Blues Lounge". I agree with Lory's comment about this.

In fact, when TwK came on to DJ on Monday morning, he (IIRC) started with 2 funky tracks. Exactly what I needed at that point and I had 2 fantastic dances (with KT )

I feel that more people were up and about later than I remember at other SPs and was therefore busier in the "BL" - perhaps that's one reason it didn't slow down too much - to keep people dancing

But similarly, I had a conversation with several people later on Monday morning where we all felt it should have slowed down more

I do love down n dirty blues (a la Sweat- Popa Chubby) and I love WCS but I think there was more of the latter than the former and that was a shame

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    You're missing my point David.

I am not saying that the majority of music at SP was blues. What I am saying is that the majority of music at Berko and Chesham - what you call Blues Rooms- is not blues either. In fact there is far less blues music at these 2 venues.

Therefore why do you criticise one and not the others?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I disagree, for Berko at least, by the definition I'd use (and, the other 9 posters on this thread) of "Blues".

We may well all be wrong, of course, but it appears that a quite lot of us had different expectations of the "Lounge" than we encountered, and that the musical tone had changed - that's the key point - between this time and, say, a couple of years ago.

Life is change, of course, but it's not what we expected from a Blues Room.

Hmmm, maybe call it the Swing room?
    I adore the 'blues room' music at Berko, and anyone who knows me will know I normally spend the entire evening in that room dancing to Marc and Rachel's fabulous music . But I would agree with SF the proportion of blues tracks played in that room is less than 30%. So I too don't understand why you're happy to call that a blues room DB?

In my opinion the blues room overall played at least 40% blues music, I would have liked it to have been more.

I definitely agree that the proportion of blues music played in the blues room at SP has gone down over the last couple of years, which is not a good thing IMO especially when there is a separate area for WCS dancing.

On a side note - I would love to hear some examples of what sort of tracks or artists people consider to be blues, and would like to hear next time. I very nearly started a thread on that subject a couple of weeks ago when I was planning my set - I wish I had now.

While we're on the subject - last weekend I tried to redress the balance by playing 90% (what I would consider to be) blues music in my sets. Of course all of the music that I played in the blues room was WCS-able - because blues music is!

ZW

Ps. I had a cracking weekender, well done John and Wes
    Last edited by Zebra Woman; 5th-June-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    As I have told Paul F and a few other dancers I may not technically do WCS.. I just dance

Thats exactly how it should be IMO

When it comes to WCS, as long as you do a few of the things that are 'expected' then sod everything else.....just dance

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyWeeStar View Post
    That'll be Little Monkey's chocolate and banana cake.
    Soooooooooooooo tasty!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Good reply....
    Who said I meant you

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman View Post

I adore the 'blues room' music at Berko, and anyone who knows me will know I normally spend the entire evening in that room dancing to Marc and Rachel's fabulous music . But I would agree with SF the proportion of blues tracks played in that room is less than 30%. So I too don't understand why you're happy to call that a blues room DB?

In my opinion all of the SP blues sets were at least 40% blues.

I definitely agree that the proportion of blues music played in the blues room at SP has gone down over the last couple of years, which is not a good thing IMO especially when there is a separate area for WCS dancing.

On a side note - I would love to hear some examples of what sort of tracks or artists people consider to be blues, and would like to hear next time. I very nearly started a thread on that subject a couple of weeks ago when I was planning my set - I wish I had now.

While we're on the subject - last weekend I tried to redress the balance by playing 90% (what I would consider to be) blues music in my sets. Of course all of the music that I played in the blues room was WCS-able - because blues music is!

ZW

Ps. I had a cracking weekender, well done John and Wes

I think you have hit the nail on the head here, the fact that david and others looked around the room and saw west coast made them believe this is west coast .if you have a look on the other place greg has listed his whole playlist which as you stated actually looks quite blues...

We had a stunning time, nicole is still on a high telling me how great Paul Harris, Arjay, simon B and lee easton etc... where.

Its such a shame we have an ethos of looking for the worst rather than the best bits in the UK.

Thankyou to everyone for being so happy and friendly over the weekend and yes it knocks the spots off any other weekend we have done, I attended 5 classes myself and the teaching was top notch and had a really good target level.

Showcaes ....WOW i'm so glad we didn't perform they were just so slick.

Ok bye for now

Play nice

LOL simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon r View Post
    We had a stunning time, nicole is still on a high telling me how great Paul Harris, Arjay, simon B and lee easton etc... where.
    But what about their dancing?

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    ...............While we're on the subject - last weekend I tried to redress the balance by playing 90% (what I would consider to be) blues music in my sets. Of course all of the music that I played in the blues room was WCS-able - because blues music is!

ZW

I love most of the music people say is WCS music (especially that played in the "B&S room" at Southport)

I think people are getting confused with the dance and the music ............ we happily danced MJ to it before the Westie craze started, however, it is easy to be confused when most dancers are WCS dancing to it, and why???? because when it is not dedicated WCS music is it GREAT !!!

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_and_tonic View Post

Fletch, thank you for the chihuahua advice (hehehhe - next time you see me, I will be super skilled in dog whispering...

will he still be around ?

I'm not much of an animal lover, unless there on my plate or around my neck.

stands back and waits for the back lash

Kirk's forum name is

Tallguyniceshoes

While we're on the subject - last weekend I tried to redress the balance by playing 90% (what I would consider to be blues music in my sets. Of course all of the music that I played in the blues room was WCS-able - because blues music is!
    float, float on

hi my name is Larry

I
    Thankyou to everyone for being so happy and friendly over the weekend

your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    But what about their dancing?
    better than Simons

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_and_tonic View Post
    I love love loved all my dances with Vegetable

To sum this up.... Marry me..

Ill post my good and bad stuff soon to lazy atm

Blog Entries

In my opinion the blues room overall played at least 40% blues music, I would have liked it to have been more.
    Mmm, possibly.

I'll concede that there may have been hundreds of Blues tracks played, between 5am and 9am in the morning, which may have upped the overall percentage. But that's not much good for most of us. And clearly the perception amongst a lot of people is that there weren't many Blues tracks.

And if that doesn't convince you, I've still got a picture of you with a plastic bag on your head, and I'm not afraid to use it

I think the only thing related to music at weekenders that we can all agree on is that you'll never please all of the people all of the time, even when playing a crappy 'Sack The DJ' slot as I know from personal experience.

I don't like the superior attitude ('snootiness' should we call it? ) implicit in the posts from those pushing for more 'challenging music' but personally, I don't mind CJ's sets. Some people hate them, some love them, some including myself find them indifferent but I am not sure they are any better than other, more mainstream sets just different.

My personal musical highlights of the weekend were 'They Don't Like Music' and 'Pump It', both by Black Eyed Peas and Madonna's '4 Minutes'. All relatively mainstream but they really made me want to get up and dance and, ultimately, isn't that what it's all about?

Of course all of the music that I played in the blues room was WCS-able - because blues music is!
    I think you have hit the nail on the head here, the fact that david and others looked around the room and saw west coast made them believe this is west coast .if you have a look on the other place greg has listed his whole playlist which as you stated actually looks quite blues...
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    I think people are getting confused with the dance and the music ............ we happily danced MJ to it before the Westie craze started, however, it is easy to be confused when most dancers are WCS dancing to it

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post

My personal musical highlights of the weekend were 'They Don't Like Music' and 'Pump It', both by Black Eyed Peas and Madonna's '4 Minutes'. All relatively mainstream but they really made me want to get up and dance and, ultimately, isn't that what it's all about?

I didn't have many gripes with the blues room music. After all, aside from the milongas, I only danced a handful of dances anywhere but the blues room and I thought there was a good range of music played. I wasn't that happy with a lot of WCS stuff being played while the WCS slot was on in the marquee, and also I wanted some more bluesy stuff later on at night.

It wasn't that there wasn't any - just that the general trend at night has been a move away from blues and towards funkier, upbeat stuff - a lot of which I love - but I also love some good blues too!

Commercial Operator

[QUOTE=David Bailey;477103

No, I'm not a DJ, do your own research [/QUOTE]

Just wondered why you cant??? I need no research, just everyone should have an understanding of your blues music choice. Blues is very diverse in its own field.

You maybe not a dj but you know what you want? rather than going round and round, because as a dj Im not clear what Blues you expect, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
    To sum this up.... Marry me..

Ill post my good and bad stuff soon to lazy atm
    hahahah!

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Who said I meant you
    Didn't have to say it.. it was inferred from your reply.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Just wondered why you cant??? I need no research, just everyone should have an understanding of your blues music choice. Blues is very diverse in its own field.
    Can't be bothered. Plus, I know very little about Blues music.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    You maybe not a dj but you know what you want? rather than going round and round, because as a dj Im not clear what Blues you expect, sorry.
    I want nice slow sleazy sexy drowsy dances, basically.

Thread Information