Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thyroid issues

Juju

Re: thyroid issues

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Ahem.

This is exactly what I was trying to caution you against, JJ.

This forum is a pretty small sample, and yet you are starting to draw conclusions.
    I know, Barry, I really do understand what you're saying! All I ask is for information! It's all useful stuff - for one thing it means I can now ignore anything to do with Armour - blech!

... and now you're wagging your virtual finger at me....

More seriously, a very nice doctor on here has PM'd me, explaining their very different approach/recommendations. Very helpful.

Juju

I notice that JJ seems to attach significance to the idea that it is 'naturally produced'.
    And, oi! Not at all!

If it works, it works; if it doesn't then ditch it. If something works for one person, it may not work for another; if something's not working for you then consider changing it. I have no preference at all. (Well, I didn't, but now I think I prefer thyroxine....)

I knew you'd pick me up on this - I must be psychic

Quote Originally Posted by Juju View Post
    I knew you'd pick me up on this - I must be psychic
    That can't be right. It's a well-known fact that pyschic ability centres on the thyroid and the hypothalamus.

Nice to know you've had a helpful PM from a doctor. This sort of thing would not have been possible before the internet.

So go back to the GP and say "I'm in agony, either this isn't hyerthyroidism or the dose is too small or I need a different medicine." That's what you're supposed to do.
    Hehe.

I wonder what the incidence of hyperthyroidism is in the general population?

Reading this thread I'm beginning to wonder if dancers are over-represented - I never knew anyone before with a thyroid problem and here are half a dozen.
    As far as I know, hyperthyroidism is quite common, with a prevalence of around 1 to 2 percent of the population, depending on the literature you read. Rather more common than hypothyroidism.

Quote Originally Posted by Linc_Static View Post
    As far as I know, hyperthyroidism is quite common, with a prevalence of around 1 to 2 percent of the population, depending on the literature you read. Rather more common than hypothyroidism.
    Hyperthyroidism is very common in older cats, hypothyroidism is common in boxer dogs

Like a couple of others, I suffer from quite severe underactive thyroid problems. I currently take 250mg of thyroxine a day. I have been on thyroxine for the last 10 or so years and since I was diagnosed and the medication stabilised, I haven't had a problem (except if I forget to take my tablets..!)

Like Donna, before I was diagnosed I was sleeping 20 out of 24 hours a day, my hair was falling out, I was freezing cold (not just externally but no amount of clothing, blankets etc could not warm me up), I had fluid in my heart and lungs, extremely low blood pressure and a number of other symptoms.

I still get very tired from time to time, but as long as I get my blood tested every 4 to 6 months and my medication adjusted accordingly I live a perfectly normal life.

The problem with thyroid problems, I don't know if its the same now though, is that it's often one of the last things to get tested. I had a doctor telling me my symptoms were all in my head and I was depressed and it took me collapsing and being rushed to hospital for some one to actually test me for this problem.

If you think there may be a thyroid issue, its a really simple blood test. Ask your doctor for it if they don't suggest it. then if it's not, you can keep looking at the cause, but don't suffer for years, be proactive and ask for the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Linc_Static View Post
    You say potarto, I say potaito - let's call the whole thing off...

Juju

Quick question. Anyone else get neuropathic pain (pins and needles/burning sensations) with their thyroid problems? Ta.

Quote Originally Posted by Juju View Post
    Quick question. Anyone else get neuropathic pain (pins and needles/burning sensations) with their thyroid problems? Ta.
    Not really, mainly freezing cold extremities. I always know if my thyroid is on the fritz as my hands get really, really cold.

Thread Information