Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smooth Jive Association - Are you a member?

Smooth Jive Association - Are you a member?

I have read a recent posting from member of this site who said he is an "organiser"; "qualified teacher" & "UK Champion" (So I must assume it is true) see below-

"The SJA or "Smooth Jive Association" is in existance, but in it's infancy. It is currently being looked at by the UKA and is very likely to be recognised by them. It has been set up by a handful of smooth jive teachers and there are people qualified to teach it, one being in Sussex"

Ref :Last edited by Lee Bartholomew : 29th-May-2008 at 08:06 PM.
    I personally have not heard of it - Are there any members of this site who are members of the SJA (other than the one) or who knows anything about it, or if it is currently seeking UKA accreditation? or who could perhaps let me know something about it's constitution?

Re: Smooth Jive Association - Are you a member?

Could you not just drop whatever agenda you have against someone you're trying soo hard not to name? You may well have beef with each other, but quite frankly this crusade is not coming across very well, at least from my point of view. I can't really see what the desired aim could be but it certainly doesn't seem to be discussion about dance - after all this is a discussion forum, which would suggest your (one-sided) bickering and shallow jibes should not have a place here.

Dan

I'm not sure what this post is about but I ask the simple question "Is there a Smooth Jive Association?"
    I've been left agog watching some superb Ceroc blues dancing which is just about as smooth as anyone could imagine, so I wonder is there a need for a SJA?

I'm not being negative about this, I'm simply asking the question.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    I'm not sure what this post is about but I ask the simple question "Is there a Smooth Jive Association?"
    I've been left agog watching some superb Ceroc blues dancing which is just about as smooth as anyone could imagine, so I wonder is there a need for a SJA?

I'm not being negative about this, I'm simply asking the question.

I agree with Brian. Modern Jive is, IMHO, supposed to be a smooth dance. Done badly it is a bouncy, jerky dance.

On the subject of SPROGGS' agenda. He/she seems to be trying to discuss a local issue that is close to his/her heart. Obviously Hastings is a long way from the centre of MJ and there might be such an organisation that he/she doesn't know about. I think that asking if people on a Modern Jive forum are members of a modern jive organisation is very much the same as asking if something exists.

However, I have only so much imagination to give and I'm too busy keeping Tinkerbell alive by believing in fairies to join in this dabate

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    I wonder is there a need for a SJA?
    "Smooth Jive" is yet another brand name for a Modern Jive. That does not imply that other Modern Jives are not smooth. Similarly, many people may jump while jiving, but this does not mean there is no need for Nigel and Nina's "Jump and Jive" organisation.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    "Smooth Jive" is yet another brand name for a Modern Jive. That does not imply that other Modern Jives are not smooth. Similarly, many people may jump while jiving, but this does not mean there is no need for Nigel and Nina's "Jump and Jive" organisation.
    Thats typical of you - these threads are much more fun if there's no logic involved, stop introducing it

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Let's hope the UKA knows this. At the moment Lee's post (below) seems to imply that the UKA must think Smooth Jive is a different dance from Modern Jive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    The SJA or "Smooth Jive Association" is in existance, but in it's infancy. It is currently being looked at by the UKA and is very likely to be recognised by them.
    When I did the LeRoc/UKA teaching exam I asked about differences in style. The answer was that all variants of MJ are fine, you just need to be consistent in your teaching/dancing.

So, what we could end up with is two Modern Jive associations accredited by the UKA. The one that allows all variants and the one that's "smooth". This doesn't seem to be progress, more like fragmentation. Maybe someone, Lou for instance, could bring this potential problem to the attention of the LeRoc Federation so that they can dicuss it with the UKA.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Maybe someone, Lou for instance, could bring this potential problem to the attention of the LeRoc Federation so that they can dicuss it with the UKA.
    I could... but it'd be quicker if you PM Eastmanjohn.

Anyway... you're the member of the Federation, not me!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I could... but it'd be quicker if you PM Eastmanjohn.

Anyway... you're the member of the Federation, not me!
    But you see him more than I do.

Blog Entries

But you see him more than I do.
    Wanna bet? Sadly, I haven't seen him for over a year. I've moved from the West, dear Andy!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Wanna bet? Sadly, I haven't seen him for over a year. I've moved from the West, dear Andy!
    That explains why you're commenting on events further East. I did wonder

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

That explains why you're commenting on events further East. I did wonder
    Lou IS a wonder

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Anyway the SJA.........

This has been under development for around a year or so, and not by me. I was asked to join, develop and train, which I accepted. It is not my brain child and I have not done the bulk of the work (infact I have done hardly anything to date, but have lots to do).

You dont need SJA quals to be an SJA member. There are 3 clubs at the mo but none of them use the SJA seal at the mo as this is all being rolled out in the next month or two. THE SJA promotes quality teaching and Music. To be an SJA member, you need to show that the MJ you teach is slotted and the music played is varied.

The SJA qual is not a full on teaching qual. It is stand alone or can be used in addition to the Leroc or CTA. To gain SJA qual, you do not need to demonstrate and ability to teach an octopus, but you will need to demonstrate how to teach the teachniques for it to be taught, slotted, with correct hand holds etc.

I am not dealing with the UKA. I am not sure what the deal is there but I know something should be happening in the next few weeks with it.

It IS NOT a rival to LEROC or CEROC, it is a suppliment and the clubs involved remain independant. THere is nothing stopping a CEROC teacher from doing The SJA qualification, it would not interupt their Ceroc status, however CEROC in general would not be able to become members of the SJA unless they started teaching slotted smooth jive as a whole. The SJA does not say to clubs you have to do it one way or another but they do expect members to remain within their requirments.

There is a website going live soon that I am sure will answer alot of questions, more than I can answer anyway. Will post a link when it becomes live.
    Last edited by Tiggerbabe; 2nd-June-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Personal information.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

SPROGGS, why are you spending so much time advertising Lee's new business for him?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    SPROGGS, why are you spending so much time advertising Lee's new business for him?
    Obviously a plant. Rhododendron, I reckon.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Obviously a plant. Rhododendron, I reckon.
    Interesting concept, though - getting someone to pursue a ridiculously-transparent agenda, as a way of promoting a business venture.. Sneaky. I like it.

Commercial Operator

I'm still getting over Lee's revelation that SPROGGS isn't a woman Especially as I was starting to fancy her

I, of course, am complying with the forum rules and saying nothing bad about Lee. The forum rules, quite rightly, state that you can say nothing bad about a person, and, as I always tell the truth I have actually got nothing to say on the Lee subject.
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 2nd-June-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Commercial Operator

BREAKING NEWS - BREAKING NEWS - BREAKING NEWS

Could it be true that SPROGGS is promoting Lee's business because she fancies Lee?

It's a cruel world when the person you fancy only has eyes for another. Still, it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all - at least you have known love

p.s. I've lost track now. Did we agree that SPROGGS is a woman or a man

p.s. I've lost track now. Did we agree that SPROGGS is a woman or a man
    More to the point, who gives a shlt?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Anyway the SJA.........

To be an SJA member, you need to show that the MJ you teach is slotted and the music played is varied.
    Surely smooth, slotted jive has been around for years in the name of WCS

Thread Information