Thread: Co-operation between organisers in the same area- Does it work?

Co-operation between organisers in the same area- Does it work?

I am very interested to know is you feel that co-operation between organisers is beneficial?

Commercial Operator

Re: Co-operation between organisers in the same area- Does it work?

I sit on both sides of the fence with this one. I work with all of my local organisers except one. Some organisers it's just an exchange of literature. Others it mutually promoting each other's events. Some it's helping each other out with holiday cover or teaching and a few times I run joint events with other organisers.

One of the events I run jointly is the Brighton Ball. I run it with Sarah Johnson from Eastbourne and we compliment each other nicely to produce a better event that is very popular.

On the other hand, there is one organiser who I will have nothing to do with. As soon as we became organisers he banned us from his venues. He once sent out and email accusing my wife, Sue of being his stalker when he didn't like something we did to promote a charity event that we weren't even running. And he's been very difficult with the venue operators when ladies with no commercial interest set up and ran a dance in a venue the organiser uses, as a tribute to a lovely guy who used to come dancing who died of a brain tumour. This event was a one-off event in aid of the local hospice and the obstructive organiser made the venue remove all posters in the foyer and refused to put out leaflets, even though he had no events on at the time

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    I am very interested to know is you feel that co-operation between organisers is beneficial?
    Speaking as someone that is not an organiser but does keep the occasional secret agent ear to the ground - Absolutely - but we can't expect everyone to be mutually co-operative can we.

Obviously co-operation between the Borg and independents is too much to hope for . Clearly there might be individual organisers that don't co-operate because they are in close competition for scarce punters or have other beefs (and I'm sure that some of these beefs might even exist outside Sussex ). But I've seen some good examples of mutual publicity, sharing teachers, drumming up support for freestyles etc

I'd love everyone to be getting on but being a member of the Cynical B'Stard family...................................

It can be good, especially if you have international teachers, and you want to share costs, or if you put on a big event.

However, would you expect Vodaphone to promote Optus? Would not normally happen, but could happen if a "mobile phone convention" took place, in which they both benifited.

I used to promote "others" - but the thing is, some do take the pee, like running no classses but trying to suck from you your students for an event.

Blog Entries

I think it depends on the area, the types of class and exactly what you mean by "co-operation"!

For instance, Bristol has historically had quite a number of totally independent clubs running alongside each other. They have to co-operate, to a certain extent, for self-preservation. This typically extends to ensuring freestyle events don't clash (too often), and the extremely occasional spot of filling in as a teacher at another's class. And of course John Gimber (who's a teacher at Elmgrove LeRoc) runs the Leroc In Bristol website, which promotes all MJ in the area.

I've even seen flyers for Ceroc events at some LeRoc classes...

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    and I'm sure that some of these beefs might even exist outside Sussex
    No they all love each other down here in a MJ and SJA sort of way -

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    This typically extends to ensuring freestyle events don't clash (too often), and the extremely occasional spot of filling in as a teacher at another's class.
    We do not have Ceroc down here but you will find some of the LeRoc organisers work together either as guest teaching at each others classes or with the ice breaker at a dance. they also stock each others flyers and including Salsa and Lindy Hop classes. recently three of them worked together on a Chartiy event which rasied £4000.

It does increase class sizes and some dancers can go three of four times a week but most dancers are loyal to their first or preferred club/teacher or where their friends go.

It is not as bad in Hastings as some (one) voice on here may imply. The quality of teaching is generally very good with different clubs offering a different MJ experience which is very healthy....The dancers like it.

Most clubs locally get between 40 -70 dancers a night not bad considering 50% of the catchment area is sea. There are three Federation teachers locally and one Non Federation teacher...and one SJA member whose numbers are reported by other dancers as being well below 40.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Obviously co-operation between the Borg and independents is too much to hope for .
    In about 1999/2000 I remember dancing in a Leroc cabaret in Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh on the stage at a televised event - Ceroc was on after us doing freestyle and Franck invited us to join him. Sounds like a history of co-operation to me

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    In about 1999/2000 I remember dancing in a Leroc cabaret in Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh on the stage at a televised event - Ceroc was on after us doing freestyle and Franck invited us to join him. Sounds like a history of co-operation to me
    I do hear stories of co-operation between Ceroc and independents in the past (anything before I started dancing in 2006 is the past) but it seems that this may no longer very prevalent. I can only go on the observations of the fact that Ceroc teachers do not turn up at things like Southport any more and on my discussions with a couple of current Ceroc DJs that tell me of the trouble they feel they'd get for even dancing at 'competing' freestyles.

I can only go on the observations of the fact that Ceroc teachers do not turn up at things like Southport any more .
    Hey?? Last Southport I saw at least 6 Ceroc teachers that I knew ... want to but there is at least that many there this time?

For the most part there IS 'rub' between the organisers ... not just between the big boys and the 'independants'. My experience has been that the fighting between the Independants can be worse than when they are fighting Ceroc. To be fair, Ceroc has been more aggressive of late, couple of recent examples that I'm aware of ... but also Ceroc is coming under pressure in some areas down south .... co-operation only tends to work if neither side is trying to get commpetitive advantage over the other....

Commercial Operator

Come on, DS... a LOT has appened in those 8 years.. and not all good.

It is not that Ceroc teachers have been discouraged or banned from attending Southport, it is just that with Ceroc now doing so many week-enders themselves most of them cannot afford to take enough time off work to attend Southport as well. So you could say that Ceroc have effectively significantly reduced the number of Ceroc teachers who attend Southport, but I doubt that this was a deliberate intention. SP will continue to be massively popular whether or not there are any or many Ceroc teachers there.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Come on, DS... a LOT has appened in those 8 years.. and not all good.
    I don't care about politics and the occasional spats - I like everybody

Commercial Operator

SJA
    Saint John's Ambulance offering dance classes?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

SJA = Smurf Jive Association - do keep up McGregor

Commercial Operator

SJA = Smurf Jive Association - do keep up McGregor
    Sorry I thought the Smurf Jive Ass. was part of the anatomy of a Smurf

Thread Information