Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Then & Now

Originally posted by Sheepman
    It's on their album Out Of Time (along with "Shiny Happy People"), released in 1991, so maybe tricky to find nowadays, but surely they've done a "Best Of" album with it on by now?

Greg
    It's on their new album In Time: The Best of REM 1988 - 2003, although Shiny Happy People isn't. But Out of Time is available for immediate dispatch on Amazon, if you'd like both.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Speaking of 80's music - we were you know...

i found this
    80's music test

See how many you can get - i got about half of them - dont submit your answers till youve given it your best shot though, that'd be cheating.

The Forum Legend
    Scored 68.5....

What did you get DS??

Steve

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

i found this
    80's music test

See how many you can get - i got about half of them - dont submit your answers till youve given it your best shot though, that'd be cheating.
    I got about half too. I think my score was about 38 or something. Amazing how many I did know when I saw the answers....always the case, innit?

it was fun!

I got 44.5 on the eighties test, but I'm sure it should have been more like 4.5! - Hey, I'm allergic to most eighties music! no elegance to it - wish I found it easier to 'like' - it would make it easier to 'interpret' in dancing. (I got five points for saying where I saw the test though, so thanks DS)

Lovely to hear the halloween stories btw and of people dressing up and pumpkins and things - I always wished my mum had made pumpkin lanterns for us when we were young!

When I lived in the countryside children would come door to door for trick or treat, dressed up as witches and warlocks and things. They had made quite an effort so they'd usually get some spare change. A friend in Ireland tells me she has a supply of sweets to hand on halloween for neighbours' children visiting though which sounds an alternative to giving them cash.

I was at a lovely fancy dress dance in England on Halloween on Friday but it was Hollywood theme - some fab outfits, but I took the easy option and went dressed 'smart' (I rarely have the nerve to dress up!)

The Dashing Moderator
    Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

i found this
    80's music test

See how many you can get
    71 - but like ChrisA I got 5 points for putting something in the 'where did you see this' box.
    Love dance, will travel

I got 78.5,

Bet I'd get alot less on todays music.

Commercial Operator

Read It And Weep!!

101.5 Didn't even attempt bonuses, and didn't say where saw it.

Somehow, managed to miss the metallica one. One. ONE gettit?

TAXIIIIIIIIIII

Re: Read It And Weep!!

Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
    101.5 Didn't even attempt bonuses, and didn't say where saw it.

Somehow, managed to miss the metallica one. One. ONE gettit?

TAXIIIIIIIIIII

Mmmm think I'd better go back and do it again !

Just thought of another then and now topic (came from teachers thread)

We used to get the cane (across the hands) at our school, girls got the slipper on the bum (now there is yet another thread!), everyone got detention it seemed
    what are your experiences?
    I remember one incident I managed to p#ss off a teacher, they told me to go to headmaster and ask for the cane
    I left the room with a comment akin to "don't be so bloody silly" and went home
    Was in the sh#t when I returned, but it amused my mates.

It finally stopped when my dad popped in for a chat!!

Oh happy days

Ps I turned radio off in the eighties so have not tried quiz (yet) but please tell me what are good eighties dance tracks - I really struggle with them.I really did shut off musically in the eighties)

We used to get the cane (across the hands) at our school, girls got the slipper on the bum (now there is yet another thread!), everyone got detention it seemed
    what are your experiences?
    I remember one incident I managed to p#ss off a teacher, they told me to go to headmaster and ask for the cane
    I left the room with a comment akin to "don't be so bloody silly" and went home
    Was in the sh#t when I returned, but it amused my mates.

It finally stopped when my dad popped in for a chat!!

Oh happy days

Ps I think turned radio off in the eighties so have not tried quiz (yet) but please tell me what are good eighties dance tracks - I really struggle with them.
    (I really did shut off musically in the eighties)

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    Just thought of another
    Do you want to try that again?

Peter - did you ever get lines at school too?

Greg

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard

We heard you the first time

Slipper /canes everything in my school (well I didn't own the school so it wasn't mine)All boys school. May explain a few things

A note came around (this is early 80s) that teachers could no longer use 'other implements' on students.

When you had the slipper had to be a senior teacher, cane deputy or head I think

I got the slipper once for owning up for lighting up a match (so that taught me honesty doesn't pay)

Happy days

Ogre-like dinner lady used to make me mash my carrots (YAK!) up with my potatoes to make sure I ate them. I used to leave the dining hall and promptly throw up (nice).

Eventually my mother had enough of this and took the dinner lady to task and was told "she should eat her carrots, they are good for her" (?)

My mother, bless her, said how the h*ll can she be getting any goodness out of ANY of her dinner when its decorating the pavement outside the dining hall????

Dinner lady really got a then !

In Scotland the punishent was usually the belt or also refered to as the strap. I have herad some horrific tales over the years, when I was at school it was standard procedure and the really sadistic teachers were well known, both male and female.

I am a secondary school Design Technolgy teacher ( wood work, metal work, graphics & support for learning and I have to say that I am really glad that things have changed. I could not personally belt someone and I have worked in some tough schools.

when I was at primary school I was a dinner monitor ( served my table the food from the counter) and one day I accidently gave them the pudding on the same plate as the main course mind you no one seemed to notice until I went up to get our tables pudding thinking the dinner ladies had forgot it - they found us another kind of pudding and we got an extra one. I can still remember it, we called it "flumpf" evaporated milk wisked up all frothy and set into jelly. Its amazing what you eat when you are little

Fran

I remember the cane was abolished the day before the Geography teacher chased me round the school (he had a wooden leg and a lisp and I had done something rather naughty to wind him up). The headmaster was furious he couldn't cane me. Two hour 'detention' punishment on Saturday morning comprised going round the rugby pitch with a wheelbarrow for the first hour picking up stones - the second hour was spent putting them back. Things have come on a bit!

I once helped out a few years ago with an activity weekend for kids in Glasgow where we took them to a historic school and the qualified teachers gave them the same lesson twice - once the modern way with lots of empathy, asking the kids for ideas and things, and the same lesson the old authoritarian way - 'do as you're told, don't speak out of turn' etc (though stopping short of caning them of course!)
    :sorry
    At the end we asked them to vote on which they preferred - weird - all of the girls voted for the new method but most of the boys voted for the old method. (Boys prefer 'rules' more? knowing 'where they stand'?)

I was going to add something about Top of the Pops in this thread - the only tv prog I remember as a kid that is still on now - but I'll put it in the DJ thread as there were some cool new tracks.

ps. Flumpf sounds great - cheers for the recipe!

The Dashing Moderator

"flumpf"

Originally posted by Fran
    we called it "flumpf" evaporated milk wisked up all frothy and set into jelly
    My mum used to make this - I used to really like it! (I suspect it wouldn't have been as nice if made by school dinner folk though)
    Love dance, will travel

Re: "flumpf"

Originally posted by DavidY
    My mum used to make this - I used to really like it! (I suspect it wouldn't have been as nice if made by school dinner folk though)
    Actually it was really good. the school dinners were apalling when I went to a secondary services school in Germany, but when I moved to Scotland I was so impressed with the school dinners - they actually tasted of somthing edible and as you became a senior pupil the dinner ladies gave you free seconds!

at the I am at the boys in the department and I occasionally treat oursevles to the syrup sponge and custard - its yummy!! dont feel like teaching afterwards though - need a lie down.

fran

Thread Information