Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Then & Now

Originally posted by Forte
    Route 666 Haloween on social events
    mate..... that is brilliant.

Hey Bill, nice legs !!!!

Originally posted by Boomer
    Because she can't remember.. and stop singing that song! Fot some reson 'Last-night' (the songhas triggered 'Star-trekking', can't get it out of my bloody head and I need to sleep!
    If you mean the one that goes *Star-Trekkin across the universe* then that can have NOTHING to do with DJ Robbie; that my dear is a wholely conjured up by large monkey crying *All Fish Are Gonna Die HHHHeeehHHHHEeeee* song.

You need help my friend! I prescribe a large cup of tea and a cold sprout for your ailments!

Dr Dory
    x

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Bardsey
    Never participated in an "upstairs" thingy til today when there was a very interesting vote taking place!!!!
    You get an education on here, until I went 'upstairs' I thought 'come dancing' was to do with ballroom, not Ceroc!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Originally posted by Lory
    You get an education on here, until I went 'upstairs' I thought 'come dancing' was to do with ballroom, not Ceroc!
    Yes, same here! I am enjoying the forum though, its very infomative and lots of fun. I've met some great people and can't wait to meet them "in the flesh" so to speak!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    I've met some great people and can't wait to meet them "in the flesh" so to speak!
    Remember that the Aberdeen Beach Ballroom party has a 'naturist' theme this year. We're all 'au naturale'.

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Remember that the Aberdeen Beach Ballroom party has a 'naturist' theme this year. We're all 'au naturale'.
    Oh Dammit and I can't get there!

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Meany - you just want everyone to be the same colour as you bloomin' cold of a November night in Aberdeen.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

ok guys about 18 replys of thread so to bring things bak to then and now
    Music
    The sixties and the seventies were far superior for music than the 80's and 90's
    we had the beatles, stones, who, cream, queen, dylan, springsteen, sting, otis redding marvin gaye etc etc all emerge during these two decades.
    how can the 80's and 90's compare.
    or
    who is best Dylan or Lennon - Sting or Springsteen, Robbie Williams or Robert plant.
    p

Music was better in the 70's Lennon was a genious although moody.

Top of the pops was an entertaining programme to watch. Do you remember the first colour TV's huge big things with lots of transistors.

Incidentally Mr. Lizard do you have a picture of you in the 70's with long hair???

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Lounge Lizard

how can the 80's and 90's compare.
    what nonsense from Bandana Man ... Madness, The Specials and the ska revolution, Punk was picking up steam in the 80s, what about the surge of Rap artists, Heavy Metal bands, and pop with style like Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran, Adam and the Ants. The synth originality of kraftwerk, art of noise. Queen were still going strong. Prince. Vocalists like Lisa Stansfield, George Michael, Rick Astley....er..ok maybe not him.

To me the 80s was the decade of experimentation the 90s continued that trend. Its only in the last few years theres been too much mass market pop-tat but the charts and radio play have been political for years - theres still great new original music out there adn the internet makes it easier to find out about it. You cant rely on the 'Hit Parade' anymore.

In my opinion you lose the right to any respect by releasing a cover of someone elses song - pub bands do THAT. How to ruin your integrity in one go . (depends if you started with any though)

Lets vote on this - all agreed say 'Eye!'

Originally posted by Jon L
    Music was better in the 70's Lennon was a genious although moody.

Top of the pops was an entertaining programme to watch. Do you remember the first colour TV's huge big things with lots of transistors.

Incidentally Mr. Lizard do you have a picture of you in the 70's with long hair???

YUP
    no I wont post it

what nonsense from Bandana Man ... Madness, The Specials and the ska revolution, Punk was picking up steam in the 80s,
    what about the surge of Rap artists, Heavy Metal bands, and pop with style like Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran, Adam and the Ants. The synth originality of kraftwerk, art of noise. Queen were still going strong. Prince. Vocalists like Lisa Stansfield, George Michael, Rick Astley....er..ok maybe not him.

Yes but the strength of the 80's(what precious little existed ) came from the music styles and artists that started in the 60's and 70's
    How many big name artists that STARTED in the 80's and 90's are still going strong
    Rick Astley nicely sums up the 80's bland and boring

still at least we are back on thread

Commercial Operator
    Rick Astley nicely sums up the 80's bland and boring
    Just how I'd describe Springstein when it comes to dancing to him.

Greg

mate..... that is brilliant.

Hey Bill, nice legs !!!!

better with out the stocking though!

well as the thread has turned to music of past eras its a pity hes not here. bill has a huge record collection, and like Lounge Lizard had the hair to go with it

they were on the beach this afternoon in Las palmas on the ceroc holiday and seem to be having a good time.

wish I was there

never mind - I will not pine!!!

Having older brothers and sisters I was always influenced by their music and grew up to the sounds of motown. although I do remember my sister thinking the "lion sleeps to night"was a really good track in the 80's - I think she just fancied the bloke in the loin cloth. I did know all the words to Barry manilow - songs - may be i should not have admitted to that one

fran

Originally posted by Fran
    although I do remember my sister thinking the "lion sleeps to night"was a really good track in the 80's - I think she just fancied the bloke in the loin cloth. I did know all the words to Barry manilow - songs - may be i should not have admitted to that one
    Barry Manilow; now there's no shame there!

I have a good version of the Lion Sleeps Tonight by REM. Very good indeed.

Px

Originally posted by Pammy
    I have a good version of the Lion Sleeps Tonight by REM. Very good indeed.

Px
    Talking of REM, I've been looking for a CD by them with Losing My Religion on it. I just love that track!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

How many big name artists that STARTED in the 80's and 90's are still going strong
    Aah, it may be the case that wrinklies from the 60s and 70s are still out there but it doesnt lessen the revolution that was the 80s music. I also think youre not comparing like for like - the music industry changed dramatically in the 80s and 90s - you'll find that a large percentage of people in bands in the 80s are still in the industry - there are just more places for them to progress to without necessarily appearing on Top of the Pops .

Originally posted by Dory

Barry Manilow; now there's no shame there
    My parents took me to see him in concert at Edinburghs Playhouse when i was about 11. My strongest memory is of the very strange behaviour of the rows and rows of screaming middle-aged and elderly women in the stalls.

copa- copa cabaaaaaaaanaa la la lala la la etc..

copa- copa cabaaaaaaaanaa la la lala la la etc..
    Has anyone ever told you you have a remarkable singing voice?

Dory
    x

Commercial Operator
    Talking of REM, I've been looking for a CD by them with Losing My Religion on it. I just love that track!
    It's on their album Out Of Time (along with "Shiny Happy People"), released in 1991, so maybe tricky to find nowadays, but surely they've done a "Best Of" album with it on by now?

Greg

Originally posted by Sheepman
    It's on their album Out Of Time (along with "Shiny Happy People"), released in 1991, so maybe tricky to find nowadays, but surely they've done a "Best Of" album with it on by now?

Greg

I think they are just advertising one on TV at the mo, I just keep tuning in that fraction too late to hear what's on it! Losing your Religion must be though, cos they were on "Parky" the other night and sang that one.

Thread Information