Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Then & Now

On the radio this morning, they were doing a reminissing section and one thing that came up was the Frog Song;

anyone remember that one, it went.

Bom, Bom, Bom IeeeeeI
    etc. etc.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Pammy
    On the radio this morning, they were doing a reminissing section and one thing that came up was the Frog Song;

Bom, Bom, Bom IeeeeeI
    etc. etc.

Yeah the Paul McArtney song with rupert bear in the video (he stumbles across some frogs who start singing).
    Saw it at the cinema as well as TV, funny video - was a short film before Paul McArtneys 'Give my regards to Broad Street' - yes i was young - i paid to see that film

Originally posted by Sheepman
    Yes the Jumpin' Jacks were great, def non PC nowadays, I wonder how many people they killed/injured?

Greg
    Dunno, but I do remember my grandmother chasing me with a broom for setting one off near the chairs where the "Old Lasses" were seated on the perifery of the bonfire, making them jump almost as much as the fireworks. Brings tears of mirth to my eyes just remembering it.

Bom, Bom, Bom IeeeeeI
    etc. etc.

Sorry Pammy, didn't quite catch that, how's it go again???

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Bardsey
    making them jump almost as much as the fireworks.

(You )

And Pammy, if you ever request the Frog Song at a dance, I won't be responsible for my actions.

There could be a new thread here, "the worst song that a megastar has produced." There again Sir Paul has quite pile of doodoo in his catalogue.

Greg

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Fran
    childhood sweets.
    I lived in Germany when i was younger and remember that at one point in britain there was a sweet called "space dust" which we could not buy there. It was like gold dust - every time some one visited the U.k they would bring back supplies and would be very popular!
    Fran, go and buy some Rice Krispies from a garage or a wee shop that doesn't roatate it's stock :sorry I got space dust in a pack from the Esso but the date on the Krispies is just about by.

I remember getting one of those curling brushes (very early designs of the now sophisticated styling tool). You wrapped your hair round it, turned it on, fried your hair then found your hair wouldn't come out of the brush and you'd be panicking running round the house with the tong singeing your hair screaming "Mum get it out get it out :sob:" and the only way was to either cut or tear most of your hair out and then you ended up with kind of frizzy, fuzzy, heat damaged hair as the end result (not how it looked on the box) while the rest of the family rolled around in fits of laughter at the results.

They should've just been called "amusement for the rest of the family" tongs...

I also had a really nasty perm when I was about 12; one of mums friends did it. I came home crying my eyes out in the back of the car and I tried to brush it all out when I got back; only thing was, it only brushed out on one side

Those were the good old days!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pammy
    [B]I remember getting one of those curling brushes

When I was 17 or 18, I had blond hair down to about the middle of my back and I used to get my mum to lay it on the ironing table, cover it with brown paper and iron it straight. Ironing it made your hair very straight and very shiny.

Anyone else do that?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bardsey
    [B]
    I remember getting one of those curling brushes

When I was 17 or 18, I had blond hair down to about the middle of my back and I used to get my mum to lay it on the ironing table, cover it with brown paper and iron it straight. Ironing it made your hair very straight and very shiny.

Anyone else do that?
    No, I can safely say that I never laid my flowing long blond locks on the ironing table ...: ..no, never mind

Originally posted by Boomer
    No, I can safely say that I never laid my flowing long blond locks on the ironing table ...: ..no, never mind
    you little you!

Originally posted by Chicklet
    Fran, go and buy some Rice Krispies from a garage or a wee shop that doesn't roatate it's stock :sorry I got space dust in a pack from the Esso but the date on the Krispies is just about by.
    does that mean you can still buy it?? or did you buy a packet of krispies and there was an old packet of space dust in it?

sorry ....its been a long day an dmy brain is having a blonde moment.

..and the kids are currently carving out a pumpkin for tomorrow night - didnt know they were hollow!! I was planning to make pumpkin soup for the first time but theres nothing to make it with!!!! -

as it is a nostaligia thread - anyone else going trick or treating tomorrow. Im going as awitch but I have children as an excuse to tag along.

fran

Commercial Operator
    and the only way was to either cut or tear most of your hair out
    Reminds me of a teenage incident, never chew gum, AND your girlfriend's long blond hair at the same time!

Greg

does that mean you can still buy it?? or did you buy a packet of krispies and there was an old packet of space dust in it?
    Yes you can - I found some a wee while ago but can't remember where I bought it! Fab stuff!

ps - hope the kids have a good trick n treat night and the neighbours are generous

trials of long hair when little!

Originally posted by Sheepman
    Reminds me of a teenage incident, never chew gum, AND your girlfriend's long blond hair at the same time!

Greg
    Oh the romance of the young!!!

slightly younger, does anyone remember playing hide and seek and hiding underneath a bed - the older ones with springs? I used to get into terrible trouble from my mum because my hair used to get tangled up in the springs and she had to cut me out sometimes My sister once decided to curl my long hair with rollers and they also came to a messy finish.

fran.

ps I have figured out the pumpkin issue. the kids had great fun scouping out the fruit. no prizes fof guessing who had never opend a pumpkin before!

Originally posted by Chris

ps - hope the kids have a good trick n treat night and the neighbours are generous
    thanks I'm sure it will be fun.
    just put up the halloween decorations so we are all set.

fran

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Bardsey
    [B]
    I remember getting one of those curling brushes

Anyone else do that?
    I tried to do the opposite, to a disastrous end, I have very straight hair and wanted it curly so I had the perm from hell, my hair came out in handfuls, I ended up having to have it cut off, my mum couldn't look at me for weeks without shaking her head and tears welling up in her eyes.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

What about clothes - I loved platform soles I got the biggest pair of platforms I could find and instantly became the same height as my mates, Shoes were hidden by big flared trousers all set off with a loud tank top - I really wish I had kept those clothes.

p

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: trials of long hair when little!

ps I have figured out the pumpkin issue.
    Pumpkins? Its Turnip at this time of year surely - although pumpkin is easier to carve, its against tradition

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    What about clothes -
    indeed. I used to go roller skating in an arena every weekend when i was about 12 and my sister had leg warmers which i thought were cool so i nicked them to wear when skating. I never was one to bother about my peers - who thought this was extremely funny. Use to do films at college too so have worn makeup a lot and got laughed at by engineering students .

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    What about clothes - I loved platform soles I got the biggest pair of platforms I could find and instantly became the same height as my mates, Shoes were hidden by big flared trousers all set off with a loud tank top - I really wish I had kept those clothes.

p
    Me too.........I had some cracking outfits - and I actually liked them at the time !

I'm 5' 10" and always wanted to be 6' so platforms made me taller ...............but everyone ahd them so everyone was an inch or two taller.

I had a great pair that had rubber soles and I used to bounce around - like jumping on shock absorbers Ah them were the days.

Thread Information